St.V-St.M 2022

Have fun in Div II. Not only do you have to deal with the Hoban machine but those big publics like Nordonia & Hudson that are double the size of SVSM that have the roster numbers to platoon and tire you out.
We play a schedule like that every year regardless Lmfaooo ??? so it don’t matter

We play a schedule like that every year regardless Lmfaooo ??? so it don’t matter
I'm with you! I've always much preferred the regular season to the post season anyway. And whether it D2 or D3, the Irish will play the same regular season schedule which will be a tough one! If they don't go far in the playoffs (or even get into them!), time will tell. But there will hopefully be some fun and exciting games between now and then!

Have fun in Div II. Not only do you have to deal with the Hoban machine but those big publics like Nordonia & Hudson that are double the size of SVSM that have the roster numbers to platoon and tire you out.

Ah, it seems competitive balance is working the way the anti parochials wanted.

Irish have the second smallest enrollment in D2. This should have never happened ?. The program is trying to rebuild and being in the same region as Hoban & Walsh Jesuit does not bode well for the Irish. Coach Cistone is working extremely hard along with coach Carter in the weight room. The class of 2023 is the most talented of the four in the program. Walsh incoming Frosh FB Players is over 50 Hoban near 50 the STVM Irish in the teens. The weight room looks amazing and the Varsity players 50 plus are putting in the work. Can’t worry about Hoban as they are on an entirely different level with Tyrrell. The OHSAA fears the Knight$.

Irish have the second smallest enrollment in D2. This should have never happened ?. The program is trying to rebuild and being in the same region as Hoban & Walsh Jesuit does not bode well for the Irish. Coach Cistone is working extremely hard along with coach Carter in the weight room. The class of 2023 is the most talented of the four in the program. Walsh incoming Frosh FB Players is over 50 Hoban near 50 the STVM Irish in the teens. The weight room looks amazing and the Varsity players 50 plus are putting in the work. Can’t worry about Hoban as they are on an entirely different level with Tyrrell. The OHSAA fears the Knight$.
Are you suggesting StVM should have manipulated its enrollment, capping it for the purpose of better odds of football success?

Why? The Irish traditionally take on all comers no matter their own situation and already featured four teams from D2/R5 on the regular season schedule before being bumped-up from D3.

While depth may not be great right now, I, for one, expect the Irish to compete. Any success they have (they should be a playoff team) will, along with the strength facility and other upgrades you mention, help garner attention from potential student-athletes. With the exception of the Akron Holy War, I will be pulling for them…and I hope the rivalry series doesn’t stop, as is expected.

Also, nice you at least waited until the end to take a shot at Hoban, lol.

Last year in D3R9, SVSM amassed 12.0459 computer points. That got them into the playoffs as a 15 seed.

If we slide that same computer point total into last year's D2R5, 12.0459 puts them in the playoffs as an 11 seed - finishing ahead of Warren G Harding (on our schedule), Maple Heights, Ashtabula Lakeside, Eastlake North, Cleveland John Jay, and Akron Firestone.

The sky is certainly NOT falling....

While I am less concerned about the impact this move will have on the Irish, I do agree that the way OHSAA views CB numbers is archaic. As I have posted on other threads. I have no issue with kids who come from public schools to attend a private school as counting for CB purposes when they play varsity sports. I have no issue with counting extra for kids who come from out of county public schools. But what never made sense to me is counting kids who attended Catholic (or other private) grade schools for CB purposes when they play a varsity sport. If a family has made the choice to eschew public schools for their children's elementary education, then why do they "belong" to the local public high school where they happen to reside? To me, it's a feudal system mentality that is both antiquated and absurd. My kids went to high school before CB went into effect, so I have nothing other than a rooting interest in this. But my son played 3 varsity sports. My kids went to Catholic grade schools. There is nothing wrong with our local school system. We made the family choice to send them to a parochial school. Still, even though they never set foot in a public school classroom, my son would have been counted for CB purposes by STVM simply because we didn't send him to the one Catholic feeder school designated by the school. To me, that will never make sense to me..

It’s just a way to de facto bump up the enrollments of private schools. There is some logic to it given the typically higher extracurricular participation rates at private schools (guessing this mostly maps along demographic lines but that private schools are a bit higher anywhere along that curve).

While I am less concerned about the impact this move will have on the Irish, I do agree that the way OHSAA views CB numbers is archaic. As I have posted on other threads. I have no issue with kids who come from public schools to attend a private school as counting for CB purposes when they play varsity sports. I have no issue with counting extra for kids who come from out of county public schools. But what never made sense to me is counting kids who attended Catholic (or other private) grade schools for CB purposes when they play a varsity sport. If a family has made the choice to eschew public schools for their children's elementary education, then why do they "belong" to the local public high school where they happen to reside? To me, it's a feudal system mentality that is both antiquated and absurd. My kids went to high school before CB went into effect, so I have nothing other than a rooting interest in this. But my son played 3 varsity sports. My kids went to Catholic grade schools. There is nothing wrong with our local school system. We made the family choice to send them to a parochial school. Still, even though they never set foot in a public school classroom, my son would have been counted for CB purposes by STVM simply because we didn't send him to the one Catholic feeder school designated by the school. To me, that will never make sense to me..
I think there’s a 15 mile radius around each private school. If the grade school lands inside that 15 mile radius then there is no CB penalty.

Does anyone know which school is the designated “feeder” for STVM? It sure shouldn’t be Akron North. They get hardly anyone from there, including athletes .

Don’t know how large senior class is compared to the 3 below them, but if they’re numbers drop just a few when the class of 2023 graduates, they may find themselves back in D3 next season. They always have scheduled up, so I don’t see an issue here, until playoff time.

STVM has issued a statement that Willie McGee will be leaving his position as athletic director, to accept a position with the Lebron James Family Foundation.

STVM has issued a statement that Willie McGee will be leaving his position as athletic director, to accept a position with the Lebron James Family Foundation.

Let’s hope they get someone good for the position, seeking QUALIFIED applicants rather than just settling by promoting within.

I will disagree Henry that it will be hard to find a capable replacement.

I will agree that the time has come to hire a professional AD. If they happen to have a connection to the school, great. But connections to someone at the school should not be a prime reason why they are being considered or hired.

Do they have the inner discipline not to favor one sport over another?
Do they show the ability to recognize the importance of all the ancillary groups (bands, cheerleaders, boosters, grounds crew, etc..) that work with our teams?
Do they show to ability to structure a schedule based on each teams' ability?
Can they work within a budget? (There is always a budget....)
And do they show the ability to stand up for the student athletes and make a change in leadership if need be?

Those are the questions I would ask if I was interviewing candidates.

I will disagree Henry that it will be hard to find a capable replacement.

I will agree that the time has come to hire a professional AD. If they happen to have a connection to the school, great. But connections to someone at the school should not be a prime reason why they are being considered or hired.

Do they have the inner discipline not to favor one sport over another?
Do they show the ability to recognize the importance of all the ancillary groups (bands, cheerleaders, boosters, grounds crew, etc..) that work with our teams?
Do they show to ability to structure a schedule based on each teams' ability?
Can they work within a budget? (There is always a budget....)
And do they show the ability to stand up for the student athletes and make a change in leadership if need be?

Those are the questions I would ask if I was interviewing candidates.

...and will they stand up to difficult parents and their PITA kids?

Saw some sad news in the Beacon today.

Ilya McGee - who was an assistant boys basketball coach at SVSM for 15 years, and the older brother of now former AD Willie McGee - passed away at 52 years young.

Damn. That is way, way too young.

Saw some sad news in the Beacon today.

Ilya McGee - who was an assistant boys basketball coach at SVSM for 15 years, and the older brother of now former AD Willie McGee - passed away at 52 years young.

Damn. That is way, way too young.

Definitely praying for strength for the family at this time.

Hard to have sympathy for the private schools as the raiding of local rosters has gotten quite open and blatant. They are clearly, at this point, not looking for "student" athletes but athletes. And stock piling them. St V has been hit hard by the numbers that Walsh and Hoban are stock piling on their rosters but St V fans weren't complaining when they were winning titles. How quickly we forget.....

2 questions:
does anyone know the official staff that’s coaching? &
Any rumors of are week 2 opponent?
I know NOTHING about the coaching staff.

As far as the schedule - at this late (?) date, and the upcoming change in leadershship with a new incoming Athletic Director - I would guess the Irish's 2022 season schedule is set.

Never say never, but I see the Irish only playing 9 games this season. Which begs the pregnant question - why even entertain the thought of scheduling a Canadian team? Teams that have to cross the border, especially in this age of COVID, automatically bring on tons of travel and logistics nightmares to work through. It is not an OHSAA sanctioned game either - i.e. no computer points awarded.

I have never understood that move.

Does anyone know for sure if the week one contest with Glenville is a Thursday or Friday game? There is conflicting information. The Irish's team page on Arbiter says Thursday - on that same site on the Glenville page it says Friday - and Matt Goul of cleveland.com is reporting it is a Friday.

Anyone else in the know?