St.V-St.M 2022

Word on the street today is that Bobby Nickol has stepped down as head coach for the Irish after a 4-6 regular season and 1st round exit from the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see where this goes for the Irish.
Do you think this is a desirable job? I would say yes, but i dont kniw.

Does being second fiddle to basketball hurt them at all?
I think that the emergence of basketball has helped and hurt. I think hoops has brought it up to the level of basketball but the traditional Irish fan still clings to the football program. It has also brought some top notch athletes to the school that have participated in the football team.

Pay is not very good at all but with the resources available football can still be great there……have done it before and had some unreal talent go through there with the Booker s ,Campbell s, and such. The right guy needs to have a diverse background that truly understands how to bring in the right guys to coach in that environment and bring in talent that is capable of competing at a high level again.

Pay is not very good at all but with the resources available football can still be great there……have done it before and had some unreal talent go through there with the Booker s ,Campbell s, and such. The right guy needs to have a diverse background that truly understands how to bring in the right guys to coach in that environment and bring in talent that is capable of competing at a high level again.
They have the history for sure. They were up and down this year....never knew how they would play week to week. Seems like the talent was there

They have the history for sure. They were up and down this year....never knew how they would play week to week. Seems like the talent was there
Talent is not close to what it was 5 or 6 years ago when they had coaches all over…every CYO game..every event where there was exceptional talent….and coaches on staff were well connected to many youth programs which attracted some great players….still better talent than they demonstrated this year.

Spot on.

Talent is not close to what it was 5 or 6 years ago when they had coaches all over…every CYO game..every event where there was exceptional talent….and coaches on staff were well connected to many youth programs which attracted some great players….still better talent than they demonstrated this year.
...and in that 5 or 6 years the great majority of that top talent started going to Hoban. It's not coincidence that SVSM's slide corresponded with Hoban's rise.

It's funny in that back in the day when the SVSM program was flourishing you'd hear some Hoban fans say things like "at least we don't do it like St. V." In time, they "out-St. V'd" St. V.

You are exactly right in that whoever gets the job has to get the better kids to come there. He also needs to instill some discipline to cut down on penalties, turnovers and mental mistakes and avoid embarrassments like the final game in 2019.

Ri
...and in that 5 or 6 years the great majority of that top talent started going to Hoban. It's not coincidence that SVSM's slide corresponded with Hoban's rise.

It's funny in that back in the day when the SVSM program was flourishing you'd hear some Hoban fans say things like "at least we don't do it like St. V." In time, they "out-St. V'd" St. V.

You are exactly right in that whoever gets the job has to get the better kids to come there. He also needs to instill some discipline to cut down on penalties, turnovers and mental mistakes and avoid embarrassments like the final game in 2019.
Right on Clark LOL…Spot On

I noticed a couple of comments about Hoban above, but I think Walsh Jesuit's rise would also be on my mind. Coach T and Coach Alexander definitely have things continuing in and moving in the right direction. I too remember when CYO games were played at Green Street are they still? I also remember the St V staff was very visible around the youth leagues. St. V would be a tough place to coach right now but a great opportunity for a young enthusiastic coach. Great history and support from an outsider looking at the program.

Marcus Wattley. He knows the school and values the history of the program and the rivalries that come with is. No one understands the Akron kids better than Marcus. Terry Bowden saw how well he was connected with the programs in the Akron area to the point where he hired him to help to recruit the Akron area high schools. In his short stint at St V led the team to the state semi finals. He got a bad deal at McKinley and everyone knows it. The AD at McKinley wanted to be the head coach so he came down hard on Marcus. Every player that has played for him loves him and respects the heck out of him. Even the player involved at McKinley did not want him to be let go. Just go watch the school board meeting in Canton and talk to Parris Campbell, Dante Booker, Sean Walter, the Adkins twins, etc. No brainer for Willie and St V. He is 30-15 as a head coach.

Duck Dogera said - St. V would be a tough place to coach right now but a great opportunity for a young enthusiastic coach

My question: what was Bobby Nickol?

You heard a helluva lot worse than that back in the day...

Sad news from Green Street this morning - (other than Bobby Nickol resigning) - Irish "Superfan" Bob Berdis passed away yesterday.

For as long as I can remember, his cheers of "DEFENSE! IRISH! GET THAT QUARTERBACK!" was as much part of the Friday night experience at Green Street as was the smell of popcorn coming from the concession stand to the band belting out the fight song after a score to the boys playing their hearts out on the field.

Rest in peace, Bob.

gotta try to beat Hoban and Walsh with the players who don't want to go to Hoban or aren't good enough to get recruited by Hoban.
gotta deal with lofty expectations, a brutal schedule and the basketball program bringing in kids from multiple area codes and states, most of whom just want to play basketball.
tough, tough gig in the current environment.