St. Ignatius Wildcats 2012

I've come reluctantly to accept Iggy, but not all this other crap coming primarily from SW Ohio. Personally I've never called my alma mater anything but Ignatius.

Your being an alumn, you prefer to refer to your school as St. Ignatius. St I, Iggy etc are used regularly by non-grads of the school. Never heard them used in a disrecpectful manner. Over the years, never heard a St I grad complain about it before. Surprised this is an issue.

I'm annoyed by it as well but I wouldn't make an issue of it in conversation because it's impolite and can only lead to an un needed argument. This however is a forum where it can be addressed. I'm with azcat on this one.

How do you feel about the name Iggy and Eddy's bar?

I haven't had a chance to get up there yet, but I like the name because they play off both of the school's names. It seems to be done in a fun natured way but perhaps I'm being hypocritical, I don't know.

From Eddie Dwyer's reports, it seems that the passing attack will be formidable.
If the line can block, this might be a high- scoring offense.

Some pictures courtesy of the PD/Cleveland.com of the 'Cats starting two a days:

http://photos.cleveland.com/plain-dealer/2012/07/st_ignatius_opens_high_school_1.html

Chico is still going strong after 30 years as HC and 40 at the school.

And the "Fab Five" baggy-shorts-look is still going strong. Chico looks good - it's a fashion fit even with us older guys! When he started it was the super-tight, mid-thigh cut, polyester "coaches shorts" style - I had a few pretty scrawny-legged coaches back in the day and it was NOT a good look.

And why is Elvis in a boot?

Do remember the 70's college coach, the Jimmy Johnson look. The midthigh tight shorts complete with the tube sox to the knee and top it off with blow dried and sprayed coiffure.

Elvis might have sprained it leaving the building.:shrug:

Anybody know what scrimmage rules will be used this year? Seems like they make the rules as they go along in recent years.

However, that does not relieve you of your responsibility to attend, to pay for a seat and to be "pressured" by nice older ladies to buy 50-50 tickets!

...and you will also be required to purchase several Ignatius Scholarship Drive tickets at the gate before you will be admitted.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe there is (at least the football watchers think they know who it is). But, I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest a transition is imminent.

I agree, and I would be surprised if Coach Kyle is even thinking "What else is left to achieve on the football field?"

Obviously he loves what he is doing and We are so fortunate to have him.

I am particularly interested to see the 2012 linebackers.

Here's a little write-up courtesy of the ESPN "FAB 50"

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/football/post/_/id/5143/fab-50-offseason-primer-st-ignatius-ohio

Last edited:
I envision a press conference a few years in the future where Kyle announces his retirement and at the same time Ignatius names his successor, a former Ignatius player, in a seamless transition. It will be drama free unlike coaching changes at other Catholic schools on Cleveland's westside.

I anticipate that by the time Chico is ready to retire, they will name his grandson ( who's now about three) as head coach.

It will be drama free unlike coaching changes at other Catholic schools on Cleveland's westside.

There's a new sheriff in town over there. We all know him. That kind of stuff won't happen under his watch. He has consolidated power and is backed up by people who understand what is truly important and, because of his great athletic pedigree, the sports nuts are bound to respect him and have much decreased power or influence while he's in charge.

I caught some of the Ignatius/Solon workout this morning. There are various phases of this thing. At one point, they went 11 on 11. I thought the Ignatius D was the most impressive group of the four starting squads with Willis delivering a powerful hit on a Solon WR on the first play. The Ignatius o-line looked a little porous. The Ignatius offense was working primarily on its passing game. McVey did rip off a couple of impressive runs.

I envision a press conference a few years in the future where Kyle announces his retirement and at the same time Ignatius names his successor, a former Ignatius player, in a seamless transition. It will be drama free unlike coaching changes at other Catholic schools on Cleveland's westside.

Let's see how everything works out after Kyle is gone. It's as if sometimes you forget how lucky you are to have a successful head coch for this long.

I heard a rumour the big junior twins were going to focus on basketball. Any truth to this? If so, seems like a pretty big loss. They were a big part of the undefeated jv team last year.