St. Edward 2022-23

I believe this team can win an Ironman title in two years. Times have changed, not gonna see 3 or 4 champions on the winning team. This team has the potential to break the state record of points scored at the state tournament in 2025. Maybe they don't have an abundance of nationally ranked guys? They will have 10 or 11 guys that will be able to place at Ironman. I know its a long way off and a lot can happen between now and then. But the potential is there to be an all time great St Eds. team. Just my 2 cents.

I believe this team can win an Ironman title in two years. Times have changed, not gonna see 3 or 4 champions on the winning team. This team has the potential to break the state record of points scored at the state tournament in 2025. Maybe they don't have an abundance of nationally ranked guys? They will have 10 or 11 guys that will be able to place at Ironman. I know its a long way off and a lot can happen between now and then. But the potential is there to be an all time great St Eds. team. Just my 2 cents.
They don't have many top ranked guys nationally, in fact do they even have 1 in the top 10? The Miller twins are their best sophomores and theyre going to be a handful the next 2 years. They had a state champ and finalist from last year not place as upperclassman. If you compare apples to apples I dont see this team winning the Ironman the next 2 years , but maybe I'm wrong. If you look at some of Ed's greatest teams they had MANY nationally ranked guys as freshman sophomores etc. Consequently, albeit rare, some years multi ironman champs.

would it be fair to say this is one of the deepest teams in the history of eds? Can they win ironman by having a group of kids winning more than 3 matches with a handful of placers?

would it be fair to say this is one of the deepest teams in the history of eds? Can they win ironman by having a group of kids winning more than 3 matches with a handful of placers?
The 07 team that beat Blair was stacked to the gills and had placers besides the studs.

Clark / seko/ harris/ Palmer / nemec/ rios / Honeycutt / Kuhar

That's my point. Maybe only one champion? I see many place winners and every single wrestler contributing.

The 07 team that beat Blair was stacked to the gills and had placers besides the studs.

Clark / seko/ harris/ Palmer / nemec/ rios / Honeycutt / Kuhar
1999 All day long ...including national rankings. 5 champs .....8 finalists. 4 ...3rd's. Beat a loaded Blair team in 3 match ups, including a dual with Mocco and Cooperman ranked top 3, amongst many other nationally ranked on Blairs team. Good night Irene ;)

Last edited:
Is Sam Dover no longer at Oklahoma? I was watching the OU v OSU match and pulled up the OU roster. He isn't listed for this year. I searched around and saw he was wrestling unattached.

That's my point. Maybe only one champion? I see many place winners and every single wrestler contributing.
I agree if you look at it they had what 4 guys in the blood round a guy injury default out and are missing some key starters due to football. Add that along with 3 other placers and this team definitely has some potential to do some damage next Ironman

I think so, certainly not the high end talent of their very best teams, but man they are going to have a lot of qualifiers, and a lot of placers. St Ed’s record for state placers is 13 by the 2005 and 2007 teams, the 2012 team had 12 placers and 14 qualifiers. I think if things go well, no injuries, Kilbane comes back, no big upsets at districts that they could approach those numbers. I mean they have 8 returning placers and freshman state qualifier at 150 who lost to the state champ in the quarterfinals and the 3rd place finisher in the blood round.

I think so, certainly not the high end talent of their very best teams, but man they are going to have a lot of qualifiers, and a lot of placers. St Ed’s record for state placers is 13 by the 2005 and 2007 teams, the 2012 team had 12 placers and 14 qualifiers. I think if things go well, no injuries, Kilbane comes back, no big upsets at districts that they could approach those numbers. I mean they have 8 returning placers and freshman state qualifier at 150 who lost to the state champ in the quarterfinals and the 3rd place finisher in the blood round.
what they do there sure is incredible

They had a few blood round guys this past weekend as well. Beat many guys nationally ranked ahead of them. They are not as far off as it seems to being back toward the top of the National Rankings. I mean they are ranked 5th in the nation as a team, without a single guy ranked top 10 in the country. That tells you something right there about their depth.

They had a few blood round guys this past weekend as well. Beat many guys nationally ranked ahead of them. They are not as far off as it seems to being back toward the top of the National Rankings. I mean they are ranked 5th in the nation as a team, without a single guy ranked top 10 in the country. That tells you something right there about their depth.
The problem with using "rankings" as a gauge this early in the season is those ranked near the top 10 are fairly credible, those ranked 10-20 not so much. How many beat top 10 ranked guys would be the equation for me , there wasn't much of that at all. As for the "blood round" there were many teams in that same position...1 win away. I dont see this team beating Blair the next 2 years , but anything is possible.

I agree if you look at it they had what 4 guys in the blood round a guy injury default out and are missing some key starters due to football. Add that along with 3 other placers and this team definitely has some potential to do some damage next Ironman
So you have to hope the football team doesn't do well?

The young eds team is certainly very good! Unfortunately the other elite teams aren't going going to fall off anytime soon. Blair (who won with no champions) had 3 freshman, 3 sophomores, 4 juniors, and 4 seniors. Wy Sem returns 10/12 they brought this weekend. And they will reload as always. Eds is Ohio's best bet at a team trophy, but they have a ways to go. Not to mention any underclassmen that missed due to football likely will miss it again as their football team isn't falling off either. Just my .02

I was also told over the weekend that next year Ironman will actually be the first week of the season here in Ohio. So not only will many of the football players likely be out, but the Ohio kids will all have to make scratch.

I was also told over the weekend that next year Ironman will actually be the first week of the season here in Ohio. So not only will many of the football players likely be out, but the Ohio kids will all have to make scratch.

Do they not normally have to make scratch at Ironman?

Usually no, everyone makes scratch the week before so they don’t have to at Ironman.
??? I'll show my ignorance ... I thought "scratch" was the weight at every event until after the 2-lb allowance after x-mas (or a 1-lb allowance for the 2nd day of a 2-day tourney). Has that changed?

My editorial comment would be: What's the point of calling weight classes some number, if that number isn't really the weight class limit?

??? I'll show my ignorance ... I thought "scratch" was the weight at every event until after the 2-lb allowance after x-mas (or a 1-lb allowance for the 2nd day of a 2-day tourney). Has that changed?

My editorial comment would be: What's the point of calling weight classes some number, if that number isn't really the weight class limit?
Some teams usually wrestle the day before ironman making it a "scratch plus 1" event if you have already made scratch weight.

Some teams usually wrestle the day before ironman making it a "scratch plus 1" event if you have already made scratch weight.
Who wrestles the day before the hardest tournament in the country? Or do teams wrestle their varsity team (minus Ironman guys) and then technically, the team wrestled, and this allows for the weight allowance.

Who wrestled Thursday before Ironman this year? I would assume out of state teams would be traveling.

Eagles head to the Carnahan Invitational this Saturday. (In Indiana I think?) Hoping Flo or MatScouts have a writeup to see what each weight class looks like nationally.

I don't know the rules. But it was +2, +2.

Edited to say: My son weighed in twice, and he said it was +2, +2. But he's a little "special", so he could've been completely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

I don't know the rules. But it was +2, +2.

Edited to say: My son weighed in twice, and he said it was +2, +2. But he's a little "special", so he could've been completely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
If you go to wrestlers in Trackwrestling Iron Man event it has their weights listed. Not sure if that is weigh in our weigh out, but there were some that are listed as just shy of 2 lbs over.

Eaton and Slaper were back tonight in the dual vs St Iggy, maybe we will see them this weekend in the tournament in Indiana after all?