St. Edward 2011-12

I chatted with an Ed's buddy this morning and we agreed that the PD sports page had things in proper perspective...buried hockey story and a HUGE picture of George DiCamillo on page 1! :D

Congrats to the Eagle hockey team. Another chapter written in the storied rivalry. Remain focused and lets make it a dozen!

Who's left in the final four?

You have to laugh at the poster that posted "Oh how the eagles have fallen"..Where is he now? Yes, the team isn't the same since Bob Whidden retired, but you have to give credit to the coaches and players for their hard work.

Beating an undefeated St. Ignatius after losing three times prior speaks volumes to the St. Edward hockey program. Congrats on yet another final four appearance. Let's hope the student body supports these kids and shows up.

I chatted with an Ed's buddy this morning and we agreed that the PD sports page had things in proper perspective...buried hockey story and a HUGE picture of George DiCamillo on page 1! :D

haha..my mom called to tell me about that...she's convinced that the PD is run by Ignatius grads...I think she's on to something

Hey, don't get me wrong like George as much as the next fan of wrestling, but why was George even on the front page? :shrug:

Iggy Transfer News--- Star forward is transferring to Iggy from Oregon.

A report from several sources indicate that Iggy has recruited a star forward from an Oregon Jesuit school, he is currently a Junior. He holds the state record for goals scored. The hockey player is moving to Iggy for academic purposes only and is going to live in the Hope House.
Hope House has been used in the past by Iggy to house athletes.

Hats off to Coach Gray and his staff for keeping the team's heads in this latest win all game, I felt in the first two games even with the lead we grew desperate and started trying to make "do or die" plays when we didn't have to, which resulted in two losses to the cats, I can't comment on the game in Meadville because I wasn't there.

I know I had some deja vu feelings at the start of the 3rd period with the lead yet again but the Eagles maintained composure and completed the game, great coaching job!

Hope House has been used in the past by Iggy to house athletes.

Fill me in on Hope House. I'd love to learn more from someone who has the scoop. Who lives there? How many? Do they all go to Ignatius? Are they all athletes? Rich? Poor? Real poor?

Great article about the Ed's/Ignatius rivalry and recent district hockey contest...

dcoughlin.wordpress.com

Regarding a few of the posts above...

1. George D. deserved to be on the PD front page mentioned with the DI northeast wrestling champions for the season accomplishment he had. Undefeated season and multiple state champion... arguably the most decorated wrestler in NE Ohio in 2011-2012.

2. Can't begrudge Ignatius graduates for finding a professional home at the PD.

3. Hope House comment? Both schools have enjoyed out of state transfers into the school that have helped athletic endeavors over the years. I recall names like Goltz and Maynard having a positive athletic impact at good old SEHS as well.

But that's why they call it a rivalry... it's nice to poke the opponent to get a reaction, just ask CatAlum.

Dicamillo hasn't lost a scholastic match since the state semifinals his sophomore year, while competing in tough weight classes and tournaments. Kid is tough as nails.

That being said, I don't think I have ever relished in an Ed's victory in hockey before, but I sure enjoyed this one. Hope springs eternal for a state title in Lakewood and Hunting Valley!

Coach Troy Gray is 2-for-2 in taking his St. Edward hockey team to the state semifinals in Columbus. However, there is one barrier the second-year coach has yet to overcome.

He is winless in five games against University School, the Eagles' opponent Saturday at Nationwide Arena. In fact, St. Edward has lost 10 straight games to the Preppers since the 2008-09 season.

Gray and 14-year US coach Bill Baird are longtime friends and both think either streak will add up to much this time around.

"We've had changes and they've had changes," said Gray, whose losses to US this season were both in December by scores of 4-2 and 4-3. "Both teams have gotten guys back. Both have gotten better. I know I haven't beaten him."

"You can throw those games away," Baird said of the December contests. "Neither team is the same. We're completely different and so are they. Arguably, they are the hottest team in the state after beating No. 1 [St. Ignatius]."

The last St. Edward win against US was in the 2008 Baron Cup title game, 3-0.

In denial: Gray has a way of denying perfection. His club handed St. Ignatius (39-1) its only loss last Saturday. Gray was playing for St. Edward when the Eagles gave Cleveland Heights (30-1) its only loss, 6-5, in the 1986 state title game.

US' Baird was a Cleveland Heights assistant.

Fifth meeting at state: This will be the fifth meeting between St. Edward and US in the state semifinals. St. Edward won championship games in 2002 and '04, with the Preppers taking the title game in 2003. US won a state semifinal in 2009 on its way to the championship.

Runner-up blues: Sylvania Northview is making its ninth trip to the state semifinals. The Wildcats have yet to take home the big trophy.

They lost to St. Ignatius (2010), Padua (2006), St. Edward (1990) and Kent Roosevelt (1982) in championship games. Their semifinal losses were to Padua (1989), St. Edward (1987, 1986) and Shaker Heights (1981).

Shaker Heights, under coach Mike Bartley, went on to post a 29-0 mark, the only undefeated team in state history.

TV: SportsTime Ohio will televise Sunday's championship game on tape delay at 5 p.m. STO will have same-day replays of Saturday's semifinals at 7 and 9 p.m.

-- Joe Maxse

OHSAA boys ice hockey: St. Edward in a defensive zone heading into state semifinal

Joe Maxse, Plain Dealer Reporter, March 09, 2012

Now comes the hard part.

After handing record-setting rival St. Ignatius its only loss of the season Saturday, St. Edward has to come up with an encore. In fact, two of them.

The Eagles will need to win a pair of games to claim their record 12th state hockey championship. They have to get the first victory Saturday when they take on longtime opponent University School in a state semifinal at Nationwide Arena in Columbus.

While they are still feeling flush after ruining the Wildcats' quest for perfection at 39-1, the Eagles' 3-2 win Saturday in the Brooklyn District final is already on its historical fade. If St. Edward is going to make it a dozen titles, or "12 in '12," it will have to accomplish the goal as it has all season -- with defense.

"From day one as a freshman, whether we win 1-0 or 10-0, it's all about not giving up goals," said senior defenseman and assistant captain Chris Day.

"That's been built into us. We don't have one guy running the show. We have 20 guys getting the job done."

That has definitely been the case during the Eagles' four-game tournament run.

Obviously, holding the high-scoring Wildcats, who totaled 240 goals this season, to two goals was huge. But it was especially evident in a 2-1 overtime win over Shaker Heights in the district semifinal when the Raiders held a man-advantage for five minutes, the final three of regulation and first two of overtime, and could not score.

"All four guys have to know where everybody is in the rotation," Day said of his club's penalty-killing prowess. "When we held them the first two minutes of the overtime, that's when we felt we had the momentum."

The Eagles won it on a goal by junior Gabe Lampron 90 seconds after killing off the penalty.

That's how it was supposed to work for all the defensemen, seniors Matt Geib, Alex Norton and Josh Greenaker, along with juniors Andy Schroeck and Patrick Flannery.

"We knew what we had to do to get back to last year," said Geib, making a second straight trip to Columbus. "We are not the most flamboyant team. We come up with those greasy goals -- the game-winners."

Senior goaltenders Logan Galati and Andrew Smith, the last line of defense, can't be overlooked. Galati has made 32 and 38 saves, respectively, the past two games.

"You always expect them to make one more pass, especially a team like Ignatius," said Galati, of his thoughts when going against an extra skater. "We would rather have a guy take a shot outside than have one in front. I think our defense is just as good as last year."

That was supposed to be the case as coach Troy Gray expected to have seven senior defensemen returning. However, injury sidelined Marty Clancy and two others left for junior hockey.

"We had no room for error," said Gray, in his second season. "They had to stay healthy and log a lot of ice. The defensemen are not the glory guys. They have done all the dirty work when we had to have it. We are not getting in any shootouts."

In going 8-2-1 down the stretch, the Eagles have allowed 15 goals.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter: jmaxse@plaind.com, 216-999-5168

Where: Nationwide Arena, Columbus.

When: Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday: St. Edward (19-12-3) vs. University School (23-9-3), noon; Lewis Center Olentangy Orange (34-8) vs. Sylvania Northview (29-1-3), 3 p.m.

Sunday: Championship game, 11 a.m.

TV on SportsTime Ohio: St. Ed vs. US, same-day tape, 7 p.m. Saturday; Olentangy Orange vs. Northview, same-day tape, 9 p.m. Saturday; Championship game, same-day tape, 5 p.m. Sunday.

Tickets: $10 adults; $8 students.

St. Edward outlook: The Eagles are coming off stirring 3-2 victory over previously-undefeated St. Ignatius in the Brooklyn District final. They have gone about their business against a rugged schedule just as they did a year ago in reaching the title game. The Eagles are making their record 20th state semifinals appearance, with a record 11 titles. They were denied a 12th last year by Toledo St. Francis in overtime, 2-1. After losing to Lake Catholic in the Baron Cup, St. Edward has outscored four tournament opponents, 19-5. Defense has been key, especially in a 2-1 overtime win over Shaker Heights in the district semifinal and against the Wildcats. Senior C.J. Hoy has 21 goals and 22 assists, with junior Connor King at 19 goals and 26 assists and junior Gabe Lampron at 17 goals and 28 assists. Senior goaltender Logan Galati has been sure in the postseason, especially tested in the past two wins. The Eagles have found a way to come up with the clutch goal.

University School outlook: The Preppers are making their 10th trip to the state semifinals, all since 1990. They have been here eight times in the past 11 seasons, with championships in 2009 and '03. After a Baron Cup loss to Shaker Heights, they have knocked off four tournament foes by a combined, 29-4. US defeated Gilmour Academy in the Kent District final, 4-2. The club got a nice boost with the return of senior captain Matt Wipper, who missed 13 games with a concussion. Wipper has 21 goals and 17 assists. Junior Tyler Dalton leads the club with 34 goals and 23 assists, with senior Kevin DeGulis at 16 goals and 40 assists. Senior Brad Marshall has 11 goals. Four other players have double-digit assists. Senior goaltender Sam Althans has allowed less than two goals per game in going 17-4. The Preppers have won their past 10 meetings against the Eagles, including an overtime win in a 2009 state semifinal. They are getting healthy at the right time.

Olentangy Orange outlook: The Pioneers are making their first state semifinals appearance for a program that is only four years old. They knocked off Dublin Jerome in four overtimes, 4-3. Olentangy has seven players with double-digit goals, totaling 184 as a team. Jake Shepherd leads the club with 33 goals and 34 assists, with Nick Murley at 31 goals and 20 assists. Dar Faroughy has 27 goals and team-high 36 assists. Dino Cappocia (18 goals), Taylor Hardy (14), Chris Pennington (13) and Brandon Voytus (10) round out the scorers. The goaltending has been split between Chase Green (14-1) and Clay Horvath (15-7), with Eddie Kerbler at 5-0.

Sylvania Northview outlook: Making its ninth state semifinals, the Wildcats have had to settle for four runner-up finishes, including a 2010 loss to St. Ignatius. They have won 23 straight, knocking off Toledo St. John's Jesuit for the fourth time this season in the district final, 2-1. Their lone loss was to Dublin Jerome, 4-2, with ties against Hudson, Lake Catholic and a scoreless affair with University School. Dalton Carter paces the scoring with 21 points and 23 assists. Cody Estrel has 20 goals and 24 assists, with Zach Felser at 19 goals and a team-high 34 assists. Nick Laplante (14 goals), Drew Crandall (13), Brady Storer (12) and Ian Clement (11) are in the mix. Austin Gryca (15-0-1) and Phil Bowles (14-1-2) have been splitting time in the net. Coach Mike Jones said the goalkeeper would be a game-time decision.

-- Joe Maxse

OHSAA boys ice hockey analysis: How St. Edward defeated St. Ignatius

Joe Maxse
Plain Dealer Reporter

The St. Edward hockey faithful were in full throttle before Saturday's district final showdown against rival St. Ignatius.

"Thirty-nine and one! Thirty-nine and one!"

Hey, the Wildcats could have been 0-39 and the Eagles' partisans would have been quick to cheer, "Zero and Forty!"

But with St. Ignatius, already with the most wins in state history, trying to become the second team in state history to go undefeated, this had the makings of something special. That's just what the packed crowd of just more than 2,000 at the Brooklyn Recreation Center got.

On paper it may have looked as if the Wildcats were a lock to win and advance to this week's state semifinals. After all, they had defeated the Eagles three times this season.

Here's how the Eagles pulled off the 3-2 upset:

• They capitalized on early chances, scoring two goals within 90 seconds of the first period. The second came on a power play.

• They committed only two penalties. St. Edward had been prone to picking up too many silly fouls during the season.

• They focused on St. Ignatius senior Paddy Spellacy, who had 42 goals coming in and 134 for his career. At one point, four Eagles collapsed on Spellacy when he crossed the blue line.

• They were familiar with the Wildcats from the three previous games.

• They kept the pressure on, not only with the early lead, but also by matching the Wildcats with 38 shots.

• They got excellent goaltending from senior Logan Galati. A hot goalie in the playoffs is more than a luxury.

• They kept their composure when the Wildcats tied the game, 2-2, with 6:15 to play. Junior Connor King needed only 45 seconds to put the Eagles back on top.

• They played with nothing to lose.

• They had the chip on their shoulder that no one respected their game or tradition. After all, St. Edward has won a record 11 state championships.

It was only an upset if you wanted it to be one.

-- Joe Maxse

I hope the euphoria from last week was held in check by some tough practices this week, the goal is to be the last team standing on Sunday.

Eagles win in OT 3-2!

Down 2-0 in the 3rd and coming back and heading to the State Championship on Sunday!

Second year in a row the Eagles win an Overtime game to advance to the Ice Hockey finals, last year over fellow Holy Cross school Gilmour Academy.