Shorten the season

The "Q" (now Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse) would have to want to stage the event, and/or the price for the rental would have to be something amenable to OHSAA. The economic impact associated with the NCAA D1 tournament is greater than that of the OHSAA tournament

Before the COVID pandemic, I do know that OHSWCA was working hard to try and find solutions to shrink the season on the back end, and the biggest thing was finding a viable venue for the state tournament(s).

Shrinking the number of mats increases the length of sessions if holding the same amount of matches, which is where the talk about modifying the consolation side of the tournament comes into play (i.e. "follow-the-leader")

If Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse was willing to block the last weekend of February every year to have the state wrestling tournament (from a facility standpoint, it would probably entail not having other events Wednesday through early Sunday if a TH-SAT tournament, or Tuesday through early Sunday if a WE-SAT tournament), and offered it to the OHSAA at a reasonable enough price - I am hoping that the wrestling community would be willing to take some of the trade offs (not being in as centralized location, probably having not as good a parking situation as at Ohio State for instance).

We have what we need and some of you just can’t be happy.

We have 3 divisions and some want 2? That way we’ll have more room for the girls??? Competition will be better at the state tournament with 2 divs??? That comment and belief is so far out in left field. It’s not gonna happen; get used to 3 boys divisions. That thinking is from a small minority. The girls will have their own place soon. Really. ;)
For the people that want to see the matchup of a St Eds, Graham, DeSales & Legacy semi-final, then go watch the Brecksville or Iron Man tournament. I saw Shulaw and Russo wrestle twice this year. I think I know who the better wrestler is. And with 3 divs, at least they can still each have a state championship this March.

Move state to Cleveland? Some of you have forgot (or weren’t around) when it went to Cinci; there were a lot of people complaining about it then. Take what dates OSU gives us and quit complaining. If the season goes another week… too bad. It will stay centrally located.

Season is too long? I gather from some of you that this thought is coming from a love for freestyle. I don’t think that the OHSAA cares about freestyle. It’s about folkstyle in the OHSAA. Period. The VAST MAJORITY wrestles folkstyle and doesn’t care about freestyle.

I’m guessing the crowd will increase this year (not because of the addition of the girls), but because the pandemic is over and people are feeling more confident about crowds. (Last year may have still been too early for a lot of people). We’ll see.

Love you guys.
Good night.

Move state to Cleveland? Some of you have forgot (or weren’t around) when it went to Cinci; there were a lot of people complaining about it then.
I was around, as my son was on the floor, and I remember it well. The real issue was not the length of the drive (I would have gone anywhere to see him wrestle) but that the building was pretty much a last minute selection and it was a complete dump. There was nothing to recommend ever holding the tournament in that arm pit of a building.

How many sports have numbers going down? It's easy to say wrestling is but let's compare it to the whole of high school sports. How are football numbers? Soccer number's? If they are all going down, is wrestling going down more or less than the others?

Space. They claim there is not another venue that can hold enough mats and fans. They say format will be dramatically changed at any other venue in Ohio. They have stated that they are all ears if someone has a solution.

Beau Rugg is the Wrestling Director for OHSAA
(614) 267-2502
The state coaches association is working on this.

1677076635973.png

1677076664108.png

"Season is too long? I gather from some of you that this thought is coming from a love for freestyle. I don’t think that the OHSAA cares about freestyle. It’s about folkstyle in the OHSAA. Period. The VAST MAJORITY wrestles folkstyle and doesn’t care about freestyle"
I don't have a strong opinion either way about shortening the season, the reality is that the season never really ends for the top kids, rather it just transitions into a different training cycle. I would argue that a high % of the wrestlers that compete and place in the OHSAA State tournament actually do care about freestyle. Always a lot of chatter on this board about Ohio slipping relative to other states in terms of Fargo performance and national rankings. I promise you that top kids in Illinois for example have already transitioned into FS/GR season. That extra month+ of training international styles is a big factor in their history of success at Fargo, Nat Duals etc.

Last edited:
100% of the reason is the ability to use the Schottenstein Center. OHSAA has continually told the OHSWCA that we can't change the back end of the season because OSU will not/cannot work with different dates for the state tournament.

I cannot believe the Q in Cleveland cannot hold the NCAA tournament but not hold the OHSAA tournament? Seems odd to me.

OHSAA says that moving the event anywhere else would result in losing 2 match guarantee, 7th-8th placements, and likely revert to the old follow your man system...similar to Indiana,...semi loser to 3rd place bout.
The NCAA has way less participants than the OHSAA tournament. NCAA only runs 8 mats. If the Q can't hold 10 or more they can't use it

Last edited:
If we're being honest, it's probably the nicest landmark in Marion
Well that's not saying much for Marion then. They need to put some money and work into that place before it falls down. And there's absolutely no way you could fit the teams and fans in that place for just 2 divisions, let alone all 3 plus the girls. It holds 12 mats but that's about the only upside.

Well that's not saying much for Marion then. They need to put some money and work into that place before it falls down. And there's absolutely no way you could fit the teams and fans in that place for just 2 divisions, let alone all 3 plus the girls. It holds 12 mats but that's about the only upside.

I think the joke was that there is the Harding Memorial (the former President) in Marion as well. Covelli in Youngstown is much nicer and fits 12 mats, but seating would be a major issue.

The Schott is by far the nicest and biggest facility in Ohio, and centrally located. Any other arena in the state lacks in one way or the other. Might have enough floor space, but not enough seating, or vice-versa. There's no arena that can compete with the luxuries the Schott offers. The warmup room is enormous. They have the space to store every athletes equipment. Updated restrooms throughout the entire facility. Wanting to sacrifice all of that just to shorten the season a few weeks is absurd.

I for one don't see a problem with the length of the season, wrestling in my family runs year round anyway, but ultimately it falls on the coaches. Coaches have the choice to run their schedule however they see fit. I'm not talking just about competition either. Who says you have to start practicing immediately and every single day of the week starting on November 11th??? Just because the OHSAA says you're allowed, doesn't mean you have to. Why not start out maybe 2 or 3 days a week until maybe halfway into December, or even January!? Or don't practice at all until then, I don't care, their choice! Your coaches can make their season as long or as short as they want.

Last edited:
I for one don't see a problem with the length of the season, wrestling in my family runs year round anyway, but ultimately it falls on the coaches. Coaches have the choice to run their schedule however they see fit. I'm not talking just about competition either. Who says you have to start practicing immediately and every single day of the week starting on November 11th??? Just because the OHSAA says you're allowed, doesn't mean you have to. Why not start out maybe 2 or 3 days a week until maybe halfway into December, or even January!? Or don't practice at all until then, I don't care, their choice! Your coaches can make their season as long or as short as they want.

While I understand what you are saying, it ignores the original premise presented by Keith. Shortening the season to be able have a longer break until FS/GR or even start those practices earlier. Starting later doesn't address what he was saying in the original post.

While I understand what you are saying, it ignores the original premise presented by Keith. Shortening the season to be able have a longer break until FS/GR or even start those practices earlier. Starting later doesn't address what he was saying in the original post.
I love freestyle just as much as anyone else, but you don't sacrifice the biggest tournament of the folkstyle season for a couple more weeks of freestyle. Im sure the serious freestyle competitors are already practicing their par-terre every week after high school practice is over each night. Some might wait a week or two after folkstyle season is over. Question for Keith is, how long of a break are we wanting? Ohios Freestyle regional qualifiers start at the end of March but run until the middle of May. End of May is the freestyle state tournament. Most national level tournaments are in June and Fargo is in July. Seems to me that's plenty of time to wrestle the high school tournament on March 12, take 3 or 4 weeks completely off, and still have time to get ready and be able to wrestle in a regional and qualify for state, then Nationals, Fargo etc... are we wanting more than a month off between styles? I wouldn't want to take that long as a competitor, but that's just me.

I don't have a strong opinion either way about shortening the season, the reality is that the season never really ends for the top kids, rather it just transitions into a different training cycle. I would argue that a high % of the wrestlers that compete and place in the OHSAA State tournament actually do care about freestyle. Always a lot of chatter on this board about Ohio slipping relative to other states in terms of Fargo performance and national rankings. I promise you that top kids in Illinois for example have already transitioned into FS/GR season. That extra month+ of training international styles is a big factor in their history of success at Fargo, Nat Duals etc.
In 2022 Team Ohio was..
16U FS National Dual Champions
JR FS National Dual Runner Up
3rd in 16U Fargo FS (behind CA and PA, PA season just as long) 11 All Americans
9th in JR Fargo FS with 8 All-Americans.

I do not think the extra week is making that big of a difference in terms of teams getting a jump start on us for the FS/GR Circuit. The only one that I would see this impacting would be the 17U WTTs which take place a month or so after the state tournament. Some kids will have over a month of training ahead of the Ohio kids. However, I am would imagine the elite kids who think they have a chance to make a team have probably began training a little bit of freestyle technique to help get a jump start at the end of the season.

In 2022 Team Ohio was..
16U FS National Dual Champions
JR FS National Dual Runner Up
3rd in 16U Fargo FS (behind CA and PA, PA season just as long) 11 All Americans
9th in JR Fargo FS with 8 All-Americans.

I do not think the extra week is making that big of a difference in terms of teams getting a jump start on us for the FS/GR Circuit. The only one that I would see this impacting would be the 17U WTTs which take place a month or so after the state tournament. Some kids will have over a month of training ahead of the Ohio kids. However, I am would imagine the elite kids who think they have a chance to make a team have probably began training a little bit of freestyle technique to help get a jump start at the end of the season.

I think a state with a rich wrestling history like Ohio should not be be satisfied with placing 9th in Junior FS, 5 spots behind Idaho, a state smaller population than metro Columbus.

I get it, I'm probably in the minority of giving a rip about Greco on this board, but I can't remember a time when Illinois didn't win Greco Juniors. It's just a bigger part of their wrestling culture. Meanwhile in Ohio, Greco is an after thought. Ohio finished 17th in JR Greco in '22 tied with Alabama and behind states like Montana & Oregon which was a actually big improvement over their 30th place finish in '21 where Ohio actually finished behind Alaska (who sent only a handful of wrestlers). Our state can't even field a Greco dual team.

Think about that- Alabama? Montana? Alaska? States with small populations and virtually non existent wrestling history or culture, that send way smaller teams to Fargo are out-performing Ohio. Someone will fact check me, but over the last decade Ohio seems to have better results in Cadets than Juniors. What does say in terms of development and growth?

I don't know what impact of shortening the high school season could have on Ohio's FS/GR success, obviously there are many other factors, but it's certainly not helping.

#IStandW/Keith

Last edited:
My senior year I drove from northern Ohio and watched the semi and finals. At that time there was only one division in wrestling. The power house team was Maple Hgts. seemed a lot more schools wrestled in the north than in the south. Keep thinking it cost 3 dollars a ticket and even for the finals in was general seating and trust me you could sit almost any where you liked. Not very many people there is what I am trying to say.

Just some context between wrestling and the fall sports:
-Soccer: pre-season and regular season (i.e. before the playoffs) is 11 weeks
-Football: pre-season and regular season is 12 weeks
-Wrestling: in the current structure, pre-season and regular season is 14 weeks

Seems like no one mentions that really there are at least 2 weekends during the Wrestling Season that aren't viable to wrestle . Christmas and New Years .
Unless your going to Brecksville, Marion Harding or the GMVWA for the most part. Last year between 12-17 and 1-7 those were and usually are the only real Top Tournament settings .
Thats a built in time to get some FS or Greco in during the season.

Last edited:
Seems like no one mentions that really there are at least 2 weekends during the Wrestling Season that aren't viable to wrestle . Christmas and New Years .
Unless your going to Brecksville, Marion Harding or the GMVWA for the most part. Last year between 12-17 and 1-7 those were and usually are the only real Top Tournament settings .
Thats a built in time to get some FS or Greco in during the season.

Sorry, but you can't mention Marion Harding and not include Medina.

Just some context between wrestling and the fall sports:
-Soccer: pre-season and regular season (i.e. before the playoffs) is 11 weeks
-Football: pre-season and regular season is 12 weeks
-Wrestling: in the current structure, pre-season and regular season is 14 weeks
More context
Total Football season is 17 weeks
Total Wrestling season is 17 weeks
Total Basketball season is 20 weeks 2 days
Total Baseball season is 16 weeks 5 days

Last edited: