Seed the 1s for District and States

eagleguy106

Why hasn’t there been talks of seeding the 1s for the district and state tournaments? There are too many cases where the semi match up should have been the finals.

Then the finals often ending in one kid getting destroyed even though he should have never been there.

Example

Brock Herman and Ty Wilson
Kaden King and Luke James

I know there are plenty more.

Why hasn’t there been talks of seeding the 1s for the district and state tournaments? There are too many cases where the semi match up should have been the finals.

Then the finals often ending in one kid getting destroyed even though he should have never been there.

Example

I so agree!! Just like the way sectionals seeds are done ??… the worse way to seed which is sad and ridiculous . Gotta stop seeding by record percentage .. this last week had a kid that was 38-1 who was seeded high and didn’t even make it out of sectional .. can’t reward records when tons of teams don’t wrestle anyone of note . Need the good ol seeding meetings back .. coaches put all that time into their kids all season to let some computer spit out seeds ? Take 90 min on Thursday night prior to sectionals and go back to the only correct way !!! Just my thoughts

Example

Probably the reason is a lot of 1s have fallen to a 2 or 3 sometimes of a sectional that sends 3 of its participants to district or state tourneys. Take the Cincinnati and Dayton( Southwest District) situation; some years a particular Cincinnati sectional would send 3 of its qualifiers to Columbus( example 2018 126lb Hamilton sectional).

One way they could do it is on baumspage after the last sectional/district result has posted, The head Coaches will have until midnight to cast their vote on who should be seeded where. Only the 1 seeds. I would take Coaches a matter of minutes and problem would be solved. Pretty much every State tournament in the country is seeded so that the two best guys will meet in the finals. Obviously its not going to always be perfect but the fact that Ty Wilson and Jaxon joy could meet in the semis is disappointing.

Seeding the State tournament could also open up the door for feature matches to encourage spectators to stay the entire tournament as opposed to the heavier weights coming up and the arena becomes empty.

Example

Can we say LAZY!

I gave it a shot seeding the Perrysburg district using Elo ratings (choose another method and I think you get similar results)

• 5 weights had no meaningful change (126, 132, 138, 175, 215)
  • 6 weights had slight improvements (106, 113, 144, 150, 157, 285)
    • slight improvements = more appropriate quarterfinal matchups but doesn't have a huge impact on who qualifies
  • 3 weights had major improvements (120, 165, 190)
    • 120 separates #1 Brown and #2 Weisner. #8 Denkins would meet Brown in semifinal instead of finals
    • 165 creates more appropriate quarterfinals and go-to matches for Saito/Holm/Crutchley
    • 190 separates #1 Miller and #3 Yakee. Yackee and #7 Takats would meet in semis.
  • 0 weights had negative impacts on producing finalists or go-to matches

1709305305888.png

1709305333015.png

1709305350775.png

Ty Wilson and Jaxon Joy already will be in opposite half brackets if they win the district tournament, as both finished top three last year. That is an existing policy. The Wilson/Herman issue from last year occurred because Herman did not have a high school season in 21-22.

Name a ohsaa sport team/individual that they seed after the 1st round of state competition? I believe none so why make wrestling an exception... at least when they get to state bracket they make some exceptions .

Last edited:
Ty Wilson and Jaxon Joy already will be in opposite half brackets if they win the district tournament, as both finished top three last year. That is an existing policy. The Wilson/Herman issue from last year occurred because Herman did not have a high school season in 21-22.
Is there a statement in OHSAA that confirms this I was under the understanding it was top two that got protection?

Is there a statement in OHSAA that confirms this I was under the understanding it was top two that got protection?
it's top three if a district champ. It's in the state tournament program every year - last year's program in the middle of page 12 under tournament policies.