Sectional & District Tournament Regulations

Sixth Match Placement Policy for One-Day Sectional Tournaments

Per National Federation Rule 1.4.3, no wrestler shall wrestle in more than five matches championship or
consolation, excluding forfeits in any one day of competition. There will not be a Third or Fifth Place
match if either wrestler has already wrestled 5 times.

Per National Federation Casebook -- If one wrestler had wrestled in four matches and the other wrestler
in five matches, then the wrestler with four matches would be the winner by forfeit. The match must be
scored by NFHS Rule: The wrestler who has not wrestled 5 times will place Third or Fifth by
forfeit! If both wrestlers have wrestled 5 times, there will be no match and no points will be
awarded!

If there is no third-place finisher determined by physical wrestling in the sectional tournament,
both wrestlers will advance to the district tournament. The following criteria will be used to determine
their placement on the bracket for the district tournament. If the first item listed does not decide the
placement, the next item(s) will be considered until a winner has been determined. If there is no fifthplace finisher determined by physical wrestling in the sectional, the same criteria will be used to
determine the alternate.

1. The wrestler who has been penalized the least number of points for unsportsmanlike conduct
throughout the sectional tournament shall be declared the winner of the placement position.

2. If the wrestlers have met previously in the sectional tournament, the winner of that match will be the
winner of the placement position.

3. Point values based on the quality of matches wrestled will be added to determine who has the
greater number of points. Points Total
Win(s) by fall, forfeit, default, or disqualification 5
Win(s) by technical fall 4
Win(s) by major decision 3
Win(s) by regular decision 2
Loss(es) by regular decision 1
Loss(es) by a major decision ½
The wrestler with the greater total points will be the winner of the placement position.

4. The wrestler who has won by the most falls/defaults/disqualifications during the sectional tournament
shall be the winner of the placement position.

5 The wrestler who has won by the most technical falls through the sectional tournament shall be the

6 The wrestler with the most wins by major decisions through the sectional tournament shall be the

7. The wrestler who has scored the greater number of items listed below will be the winner of the
placement position. These shall be considered one line at a time until a winner is determined.
a. Greater number of near falls
b. Greater number of takedowns
c. Greater number of reversals
d. Greater number of escapes
e. Penalized the least for stalling
f. Warned the least for stalling.

8 If all items listed (items 1-7) fail to determine a winner, the tournament manager will use a coin flip to
determine the winner of the placement position.

Some highlights:

Sectionals:
*1 day if possible (If 6th match encountered it goes to a criteria system to determine 3/4 or 5/6) https://www.baumspage.com/wr21/OHSAA 6th Match Placement Policy for One-Day Sectional.pdf
*Split sessions (106-145 & 152-285)
*If 2 day sectional, 4 sessions (see district example below)

Sectional Seeding
*It's hard for me to tell from the wording if they are allowing the use of 2019 state finishes for seeding purposes or not. Can anyone clarify this?

Districts:
*2 day, 4 sessions
-Day 1, Session 1: 106-145 (2 Championship, 2 Consolation)
-Day 1, Session 2: 152-285 (2 Championship, 2 Consolation)
-Day 2, Session 3: 106-145 (Semis, Consis, Finals)
-Day 2, Session 4: 152-285 (Semis, Consis, Finals)

Weigh-ins
Conducted 1 hr before each session on Day 1

Weigh-outs
Done after the conclusion of your weight class on Day 1 up to 30 minutes after the last match. 30 minute window the following day to make weight also

Alternates
*It looks like they're not even going to permit alternates to come into the tournament unless they get in due to someone being out. I know in the past you could buy admission for them. So I guess they will just have to hang at the hotel with the other half of the team that isn't at the competition venue.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be easier, and more fair, to just wrestle the 6th match? More than likely the wrestlers do not have 30 minutes of mat time.

I think it's a liability issue as far as they may not be insured by the NFHS if they were to allow a 6th match? But I believe allowing weigh-outs goes against NFHS too but maybe I'm wrong.

So the 6th match is out ?

I think the plan looks good for a Covid-19 year. Who put this together? Whoever did really thought it out, Nice Job !

So the 6th match is out ?

I think the plan looks good for a Covid-19 year. Who put this together? Whoever did really thought it out, Nice Job !

There’s never been a 6th match allowed in 1 day. I know the past few years in the NE when they moved to 1 days sectionals to save $ and they would need a 6th match they would wrestle the 6th match on the Monday of the following week. Think it was a +5 allowance. Now that match doesn’t occur but instead a criteria system is used to declare a winner.

From the communication that sectional site managers got over the weekend, the drafted regulations were approved at the BOD meeting.

The NFHS has in its rules allowances for the weigh-out during the state series, at least I think they do. However, waiving the five match in a day rule has been assessed to be too much of a liability risk.

So are Central District weigh outs after quarter finals on day 1 or after semifinals day 2? The draft link above indicates its day 1 after quarters but I've seen a different version that states weigh outs will be held after semis.

District tournament:
Day one is two front-side and two back-side rounds (at least that's how I read the recommendation). I would run it as champ first, champ quarter/con first (mixed), con second
However the sample linked has just two champ and one back
By definition a weigh-out would have to be on the first day of the tournament. There has to be the opportunity for a second-day weigh-in, and there has to be a skin check done on the second day of competition.

I have discussed this with a few others already, but I am interested to see how many kids miss weight at sectionals when “Coach” isn’t in charge of weigh-ins anymore.
You will quickly see who was honest/ethical and who was not.

My favorite so far this season has been the number of times on a weigh in sheet I see...

Yet every other weight on the same teams sheet has the decimals (137.5, 160.2, 108.0, etc).

Do away with growth allowances, weight certification process and weigh outs. 106 is always 106 and you will reduce extreme weight cutting. Majority of wrestlers dropping lots of weight is encouraged by OHSAA state and district weigh outs. You simply cant compete the second day of districts against a guy thats 15lbs heavier than you. Remove weigh outs and make participants weigh in each morning of competition at scratch weight.

Btw A huge portion of scales dont even break on the odd tenths only the even numbers

Do away with growth allowances, weight certification process and weigh outs. 106 is always 106 and you will reduce extreme weight cutting. Majority of wrestlers dropping lots of weight is encouraged by OHSAA state and district weigh outs. You simply cant compete the second day of districts against a guy thats 15lbs heavier than you. Remove weigh outs and make participants weigh in each morning of competition at scratch weight.

Btw A huge portion of scales dont even break on the odd tenths only the even numbers

You would also be shocked how many teams just never have their scale calibrated.

The idea that this would eliminate weight cutting is foolish.

We used to weigh in the next morning of any two day event. I still cut 20 pounds from what I walked around at. Now, we did get an extra pound, but still wouldn't prevent large weight cuts if we didn't.

Like with most rules that we see bent or outright broken - the quickest way to make true impactful change (IMO) is have the results of breaking those rules actually punish the coaches, not the athletes.

Things will/would start changing really quick if we stop making the kids pay for what irresponsible/selfish/unfit (to work with teenagers) adults have them do.

I think you guys are blowing this way out of proportion. You are always gonna have a few bad actors. I would like to see half your weigh ins at your sectional weight.

WAY back in the day, there was a "weight certification" whereby an OHSAA observer certified the weights of everyone on the team, about mid-January. You could not move down from that weight ... AND you had to make that weight for every remaining competition, even if wrestling "up" a weight class. If you failed to make the weight, then you were forever moved up to the next weight class. Period.

While this did not "eliminate" cutting, it meant that you had to be able to make the weight routinely (usually 2X per week), and not just in the last few weeks of the season. Certainly easier to follow. Maybe something to think about, perhaps with some element of the hydration process now used.