Season Length

CoachOney

The season length has been a hot topic this year. Keeping momentum during these last few weeks has been tough, and I take pride in staying positive and energetic. It has been somewhat harder to stay energetized this year, this long. I want to see what coaches, parents and wrestlers feel like. What are your opinions?
Good luck over the next weeks everyone, keep grinding.

Manage your team and season, do what you think is right, like start a week later. Pretty simple! It’s not long for everybody. Season is fine! Tired of the active protesters being the voice on this issue. Take a week off whenever. Don’t participate in state duals: I know a school that does all of the above and my son transferred out to a school that has wrestling all year round. Whether open mats or summer duals etc.

I think the key is to build in breaks for the kids and its very manageable.

Agreed, I've had this backfire where kids come out a little rusty and you feel like it was a wasted break. I think this year I managed the break a lot better. We just had about a 3 week layoff between competitions and this time it paid off because this past weekend was one of our better performances overall from most of our guys. We're a young/inexperienced squad so it's not like we set the world on fire but guys looked ready/focused/refreshed. Let's hope that carries over.

As I got to about mid-January I got a little more loose with how I ran it. I still have a focused plan that we do each day but I let my more experienced guys bang it out and go harder and spend more focused time with the inexperienced guys. But I've also mixed in some days where I throw 20-30 minutes on the clock and let guys do what they want to focus on (conditioning, technique/drilling, or live) only thing you can't do is sit and socialize.

I won't argue against cutting the season shorter, preferably on the front end. I'd rather see us start after Thanksgiving so you're not dealing with 2 major holidays. I get you have the choice to start later and for the most part I do, from a competition standpoint, but problem is school/admin want things by certain deadlines which forces you to start practices a little earlier so you know who you have on roster.

There are a couple ways to look at this: 1) How good is it for the sport? 2) How healthy is it for the athletes? We all agree that participation rates are going down. My personal feeling is that the season is too long and we keep families stuck in a gym all day and sometimes for two straight days for 3 months creeping into part of a 4th month (December, January, February, March). Personally, I think 3 week of prep starting in November followed by wrestling in December/January with season ending mid-February would be ideal. We are wrestling so much and for so long, the debate has shifted to the value of an athlete achieving 100 victories because kids wrestle so much more.

How healthy is it for the athletes? - To Crimsonblooded's point, coaches can adjust their season accordingly. But there is a lot of pressure by families/dads to keep going and if they don't wrestle as much as the neighboring school, then you risk losing that kid. In addition, injury rates seem to be going up. Unfortunately, they (dads and coaches) know very little about periodization and the value of rest/recovery on the body... that's not a shot, because I believe they're doing the best they can, but just not knowledgeable.

There are a couple ways to look at this: 1) How good is it for the sport? 2) How healthy is it for the athletes? We all agree that participation rates are going down. My personal feeling is that the season is too long and we keep families stuck in a gym all day and sometimes for two straight days for 3 months creeping into part of a 4th month (December, January, February, March). Personally, I think 3 week of prep starting in November followed by wrestling in December/January with season ending mid-February would be ideal. We are wrestling so much and for so long, the debate has shifted to the value of an athlete achieving 100 victories because kids wrestle so much more.

How healthy is it for the athletes? - To Crimsonblooded's point, coaches can adjust their season accordingly. But there is a lot of pressure by families/dads to keep going and if they don't wrestle as much as the neighboring school, then you risk losing that kid. In addition, injury rates seem to be going up. Unfortunately, they (dads and coaches) know very little about periodization and the value of rest/recovery on the body... that's not a shot, because I believe they're doing the best they can, but just not knowledgeable.
I agree 100% with what you have said. I would say the state tournament needs to be last weekend in February no matter what. 4 months is too long to hold weight and keep the intensity. It's not good for the sport (obviously since numbers and retention are going down) and it's not good for the athlete.

The season length has been a hot topic this year. Keeping momentum during these last few weeks has been tough, and I take pride in staying positive and energetic. It has been somewhat harder to stay energetized this year, this long. I want to see what coaches, parents and wrestlers feel like. What are your opinions?
Good luck over the next weeks everyone, keep grinding.
Too long, sectionals should be this weekend

Too long, sectionals should be this weekend

Should be kicked back 2 weeks honestly. The State tournament more often than not has fallen on the first weekend in march I believe. I recall complaints that the season was too long then as well (I thought so as a competitor)

To the over all question- I like the notion that we do as a collective have the ability to mitigate the issue. Its true. You do have options. Start your team's season later (This idea I dont like so much, I do not think it is that simple. Although it is not to dissimilar to options I do like), Work in a long break, work in weekends off...etc.

I will say though, I wish the season was shorter as an over all mandate. There are a lot of things that I think/believe that contradict that as well. So, idk. Often I see parents/coaches/fans contradict themselves on this issue.

*Edit* Youre right - should be this week. Am stupid and forgot what week we are in.

Last edited:
I've said it before...well, tweeted it...

Start of season: Two weeks and three days before Thanksgiving
Start of competition: First Monday in December
State Tournament: Ends on last Saturday of February.

Also, coaches/fans seem to be getting hip to taking breaks during the season or even starting later. What I love is coaches determining what's best for their team. And all of the Jocko fans shout "Decentralized Command"!

Manage your team and season, do what you think is right, like start a week later. Pretty simple! It’s not long for everybody. Season is fine! Tired of the active protesters being the voice on this issue. Take a week off whenever. Don’t participate in state duals: I know a school that does all of the above and my son transferred out to a school that has wrestling all year round. Whether open mats or summer duals etc.

I don't disagree with you on planning your season accordingly and I have planned breaks. Its not too long for everyone agreed , I think this year just feels long to me. Its all in how much you love the sport.

I've said it before...well, tweeted it...

Start of season: Two weeks and three days before Thanksgiving
Start of competition: First Monday in December
State Tournament: Ends on last Saturday of February.

Also, coaches/fans seem to be getting hip to taking breaks during the season or even starting later. What I love is coaches determining what's best for their team. And all of the Jocko fans shout "Decentralized Command"!

I did analysis on this last year around the same time. Based on the 18-19 season there were 7 other states who's seasons went into March. Ohio has the longest total season (Start/End date) by 1/2 week. 40 states end in February, Alaska ends in Dec, & Mississippi doesn't sanction HS wrestling.

On average Ohio's season goes 12 days longer than the 7 states who end their season in March

Florida (.5 week shorter than Ohio)
Maryland (1.5 weeks shorter...)
Michigan (1.5 weeks shorter...)
Minnesota (1 week shorter...)
New Jersey (3 weeks shorter...)
Pennsylvania (1 week shorter...)
Wisconsin (1.5 weeks shorter...)

The reason the State Tournament was moved off of the 1st weekend in March was because of lack of hotels &/or cost of hotels during the Arnold Classic weekend.

It's my understanding that The Ohio Coaches Association put together a proposal to have the season end in February and it was shot down by OHSAA.

I believe one of the biggest obstactles of having the State Tournament in February is the availability of OSU's facilities. Men's & Women's basketball & Hockey all use the Schott in February.

Last edited:
Wow. That's some impressive work! Do you think the Coaches association will submit another proposal? Every coach I have talked too in all divisions thinks season is at least 2 weeks too long!

Practice starts first Monday of December. First competition first weekend after New Years. State last weekend of March. 1 pound February one more March. 2 pound weight allowance for second day of tourney. I'd be ok with weigh out end of day 1. Change weights to 109, 117 then college weights.

I don't think that the length of the season is the issue. I think the burnout and the strain is more of a function of how much is asked of the wrestlers during the season. There is no reason for these kids to be in a gym for 10-12+ hours not to mention travel time. During wrestling season we are asking kids to put in 9-10 hour days before homework.
I'd actually be ok with the season actually starting earlier, but restrict the practice time. Maybe only 4 days/week or cap the hours per week. You can throw in some exempt time frame or allow for coaches to have a number of extra practices per season.
As far as tournaments, cap the number of teams/wrestlers based on mats available. Allow weigh-ins the night before. I know it would be a logistical nightmare, but splitting up tournaments like JH states would get kids in and out much quicker. I don't know that any of these are the answer, but I think our of the box thinking would be better for our sport than just the blanket make it shorter.

Most points have already been hashed out here.

The start of competition date for Ohio is in line with our neighboring states and peer states in terms of competition ability (week after Thanksgiving). Of the other states for starting later -- Michigan starts later, Pennsylvania starts the same weekend or later depending on the year, and New Jersey starts the latest. Where Ohio is NOT in line with the majority of states is the end date. My personal opinion is the season should end the weekend BEFORE the Arnold Fest, instead of the weekend after it.

Unfortunately there are facility-related issues with that. Using the Schott the last weekend of February would kick out men's basketball, women's basketball, and hockey for competition from Wednesday through Saturday.

I am confident that the OHSWCA is doing the best they can to manage this issue on behalf of the coaches statewide. However, one of the main challenges is where does state wrestling go if it's not at the Schott.

I agree the season is too long and like the idea of having state be the last weekend of February. I also understand that a coach has the choice to make the schedule to fit their team. However it is not always easy. We started the 2nd weekend in December and it felt odd seeing teams post their results from the first weekend and then you start to feel your going to behind already. Not many tournaments locally out there the last 2 weekends because of state duals. I may be part of a small group but I would be okay with doing away with state duals. I would rather see a bigger focus on duals. I know your going to tell me that as a coach I have that option and I get that. But then you feel that the other teams are getting better if they are are maxing out on tournaments and im trying to use points for duals. I have a small team. Duals are pointless but I do wonder if my team would grow if I scheduled more duals and less tournaments. Has anyone experimented with that and how did it work. Did your numbers increase because athletes knew the schedule did not require as many long days in the gym?

Don’t worry about being behind because you already are! If your worried about two weeks of the regular season then you are definitely already behind a lot of programs. What a lot of teams do in the off season, two weeks off in the regular season isn’t gonna change much. But when your school district has a kid come along that does all the camps and goes to the clubs and his family spends a lot of money and time traveling then don’t complain when they transfer out. Just understand it’s probably best for both sides.

I would be all for going back to the Arnold Classic weekend and dealing with the hotel costs AT LEAST. Ideally we move it to the last weekend in Feb. Could one of the state tournaments be moved to St. Johns? Or use the Nutter? It is only an hour down the road.

I would be all for going back to the Arnold Classic weekend and dealing with the hotel costs AT LEAST. Ideally we move it to the last weekend in Feb. Could one of the state tournaments be moved to St. Johns? Or use the Nutter? It is only an hour down the road.

When you say "one of" are you referring to other sports, or Girls and Guys wrestling?
Not being confrontational, just curious. I have been pondering here lately how integrating the Girls state tournament into the "regular" post season will work once it is sanctioned. That will surely play a role in season length moving forward.

I was referring to any of them. Obviously I am biased and think a 2 hour state tournament should be moved (basketball). But since St. John's is the home of OSU wrestling I would not be opposed to it being wrestling. One way or another it is what is good for the sport and it's growth.

Don’t worry about being behind because you already are! If your worried about two weeks of the regular season then you are definitely already behind a lot of programs. What a lot of teams do in the off season, two weeks off in the regular season isn’t gonna change much. But when your school district has a kid come along that does all the camps and goes to the clubs and his family spends a lot of money and time traveling then don’t complain when they transfer out. Just understand it’s probably best for both sides.

Then C'ya don't let the door hit ya on the way out..You do you fella. year round parent is irrelevent to the discussion of the length of high school season. Those people are gone in 4-6 years while many/most coaches put 10, 15, 20 years into a program. Not what this thread is about.

Re: season length

Ask the coaches and athletes...its too long
Ask the parents - season should never end
Ask OHSAA - season should be whatever fits our/tOSU/Arnold Classic agenda

that tells you everything you need to know about length of season.

I like the start time of our season. Fits in line with other states...fits with major preseason events (Super 32, USA Preseason, Grappler Fall Classic) Ending the season a couple weeks earlier is better for everyone that matters...wrestlers, coaches, and families. Cut the back end out. Late Jan - Feb is a GRIND on everyone that is in room working daily.

This also allows the kids/parents that want a more year round experience to get started with their freestyle/greco seasons in early march...win win.

Here is a question for all....why does OSHAA let tOSU dictate the OHSAA wrestling schedule? Why is wrestling finals on Sunday NIGHT??? because girls basketball is more important?? thats another discussion. Because the Schott is the best arena....Ok. Well tOSU stands to lose a TON of money if wrestling is moved. There are other arenas that can handle it...maybe not as well...but what is more important...the number of seats or what is best for the kids/sport?

Other arenas that could be looked at (Schott seats 18k for comparison)
The Q in Cleveland 20k seats
Nationwide arena - 20k - Pay them enough they will melt the ice and drain the floor and turn the heat on
US Bank Arena - Cincy - 17k It's trash arena...maybe worst in the state or region, but hey it holds 17k.
Wolstein Center in Cleveland 13k
Univ of Dayton Arena - 13k
OU's Arena - 13k
Univ of Cincinnati 12k
Xavier's arena - 10k
Covelli Center - 10k
Nutter Center - 10k - It was held here for about 5 ish years back in 90's

Screw tOSU arena....it was great while it lasted but if they don't want to work with us then lets look elsewhere. Maybe they change their tune once they don't have bird in hand any longer. They make alot of money on wrestling state tournament. Its a great spot...I really really love having it here...but

Season length is a national issue...if any of you view the mat forums...there is discussion there I THINK thats where I saw it. There's discussion on twitter lately about it also. I think it was Jake Herbert I saw that was in a thread about length of season. Some NCAA champs who now coach talking about it's too long...who's advice are you going to follow?