Running Clock in basketball

Lancermania

Lancers lead the way!
Is there a running clock in basketball like there is in football? Is it like it is in football when one team gets ahead by 30 points or more? Last night Fairfield beat La Salle 77-43 and I was told there was a running clock.

Is there a running clock in basketball like there is in football? Is it like it is in football when one team gets ahead by 30 points or more? Last night Fairfield beat La Salle 77-43 and I was told there was a running clock.
Yes, starts running at 35 point margin, stops running if game returns to 30 point margin. Only applies to second half.

This is new this year. I had no idea until our first game. I guess they have been using it for several years in the tournament, but just this year the OHSAA began using it in the regular season as well.

Great idea. Sorry some of these schools have gotten so bad. Hire the right coaches and get the lazy as@ to get a ball in their hand. This May never get better.

Great idea. Sorry some of these schools have gotten so bad. Hire the right coaches and get the lazy as@ to get a ball in their hand. This May never get better.
I'll tell you right now it is more so the talent and work ethic of the athletes. I'm not saying there isn't some bad coaching but more so the athletes.

With all the AAU and summer programs it’s kinda hard to believe there are teams that are this bad these days.
skills are Really bad at most places. AAU and Jr high programs teach very little of this. As a coach, many teams are really easy to guard. Very 1 dimensional players. Jacking up 3’s like the nba ain’t working. No left hand. You’re shut down

Such a weak thing! I leave the state for a few years and this happens. WOW HOW SOFT people have gotten. How can we expect the bad teams to get better if we don't try? I know middle schools do not have this silly rule. A coach had the gull to ask me to stop trapping when we were up by 40 early in the third. I pulled down my mask and said "Are you F'ing kidding me". I told him I was not going to press with starters late in the game, just backups but now he was going to get them all. He got big mad for no reason. I threw a 2-2-1 at him to start the fourth and he started yelling thing at me. What a joke of a coach and person, no class at all. My starting guard got 7 steals just in the fourth quarter. He got hurt late in the game when a kid bridged him. He broke two bones and will miss the rest of the season. Once again the softness of people is coming out. I am just glad it happened now and we know we can't count on him to be there.

Such a weak thing! I leave the state for a few years and this happens. WOW HOW SOFT people have gotten. How can we expect the bad teams to get better if we don't try? I know middle schools do not have this silly rule. A coach had the gull to ask me to stop trapping when we were up by 40 early in the third. I pulled down my mask and said "Are you F'ing kidding me". I told him I was not going to press with starters late in the game, just backups but now he was going to get them all. He got big mad for no reason. I threw a 2-2-1 at him to start the fourth and he started yelling thing at me. What a joke of a coach and person, no class at all. My starting guard got 7 steals just in the fourth quarter. He got hurt late in the game when a kid bridged him. He broke two bones and will miss the rest of the season. Once again the softness of people is coming out. I am just glad it happened now and we know we can't count on him to be there.
This is one of the best spoofs I've seen on here. Well done.

skills are Really bad at most places. AAU and Jr high programs teach very little of this. As a coach, many teams are really easy to guard. Very 1 dimensional players. Jacking up 3’s like the nba ain’t working. No left hand. You’re shut down
Definitely see it in the boys game more than ever, just trying to score on isolation instead of continuity. It's tough to watch

You've got a kid who is going to sit out rest of season just for a couple broken bones? I agree with you that is soft.

I guess I dont understand this in basketball.

Baseball: I can understand. There is no time limit, and in a blowout this saves innings/arms.
Football: Again. I can understand as this is physically punishing and injuries are a real concern.
Hoops: I dont quite understand why this is a thing.

You've got a kid who is going to sit out rest of season just for a couple broken bones? I agree with you that is soft.
I understand he can't play because he has a cast on. My point is you don't get hurt like that unless you are soft.

I understand he can't play because he has a cast on. My point is you don't get hurt like that unless you are soft.
Grandpa used to tell me stories of how back in his day if an athlete would brake an arm they would just gnaw it off above the break, and get back in there playing one handed. We dont think that way today. It's all about keeping the kids "safe". Which has everything to do with the running clock.

I have seen some unusual boys scores this year like a 67 -12 where the score was 43 -6 at the half. The disparity between schools is increasing in many cases.

What are thoughts on making JV running clocks at 25 pts in the fourth quarter?
It should be 25 in the second half and there should be no OT below Varsity. Some of these Varsity games starting at 8:30 pm on a Tuesday are just silly, just so somebody wins.

JV should just have a running clock from the get go. Who has time to sit and watch kids not good enough to play in the later game. If a JV games goes into OT, I leave.

JV should just have a running clock from the get go. Who has time to sit and watch kids not good enough to play in the later game. If a JV games goes into OT, I leave.
In Missouri, the JV ends at 7:10 pm, and they start Varsity warm-ups. Regardless of time or score in the JV game.

It should be 25 in the second half and there should be no OT below Varsity. Some of these Varsity games starting at 8:30 pm on a Tuesday are just silly, just so somebody wins.
Eh. I have issues with Tuesday games as it is. But youplay OT....xb idea
O

With all the AAU and summer programs it’s kinda hard to believe there are teams that are this bad these days.
Believe it or not, there are alot of BAD basketball players in AAU. Just because you play alot of basketball doesn't mean you're good at it.

Believe it or not, there are alot of BAD basketball players in AAU. Just because you play alot of basketball doesn't mean you're good at it.
I guess I dont understand this in basketball.

Baseball: I can understand. There is no time limit, and in a blowout this saves innings/arms.
Football: Again. I can understand as this is physically punishing and injuries are a real concern.
Hoops: I dont quite understand why this is a thing.
This is a TERRIBLE rule!! For baseball and softball, it's saving pitching arms -- and that's another discussion.
I disagree with this on so many levels. High school sports are for what purpose??? So kids can PLAY!!!! Shortening the game makes it more difficult to get kids into game. If you're so concerned about players feelings, then turn the scoreboard off, but don't shorten the time.

Grandpa used to tell me stories of how back in his day if an athlete would brake an arm they would just gnaw it off above the break, and get back in there playing one handed. We dont think that way today. It's all about keeping the kids "safe". Which has everything to do with the running clock.

I have seen some unusual boys scores this year like a 67 -12 where the score was 43 -6 at the half. The disparity between schools is increasing in many cases.
I think it's much more of a girls sports issue than boys, but yes, there are some really bad teams out there.

When I started to follow a new league one thing I hate is Tuesday games. Hate em. Bad for kids and school andthe working stiff that next day.

My Alma mater league usually plays Fri and Saturday nights with weeknight only during Christmas break.

This is new this year. I had no idea until our first game. I guess they have been using it for several years in the tournament, but just this year the OHSAA began using it in the regular season as well.
This is stupid. It's only a 32 minute game to begin with and your cheating kids out of getting playing time.