Rumor about 6-7 divisions in basketball

The goal is to decrease the overall enrollment disparity within divisions. It’ll break down like this- d1, 64 schools. D2, 64 schools. D3-7, an even split of the remaining schools.
Is that "unofficially " official? Or at least as official can be?

Another thing that came to mind... If this comes to fruition, would it necessitate splitting the tournament between two venues?

I wasn't clear in my post, didn't mean it to be informational. It saddens me that the district tournament would be watered down.
You’re good. Trust me, the concept of powers of 2 and how they relate to tournament staging can be fun to deep-dive. 🤓

To the bolded: see, that’s what I’m curious about. If OHSAA just has four regions of 16 with the regional assignments before the season (a la football), and with seeding, you’re going to have Round of 32 games (e.g. District finals) stripped of their original intent of geography/proximity.

I think an aim of reducing enrollment disparity is admirable, and ultimately it may be worth the trade-off that comes with rendering the district tournament obsolete in the process.

I just think they would move up.
A small number may have interest for a challenge but that were the case for everyone you would have have a D4 school loaded with D1 talent. Do you really think SVSM would rather have 7 runner-up D1 trophies in their case or 7 D2 champion trophies?

A small number may have interest for a challenge but that were the case for everyone you would have have a D4 school loaded with D1 talent. Do you really think SVSM would rather have 7 runner-up D1 trophies in their case or 7 D2 champion trophies?
It depends. I think they would like to compete in D1. I really do. Especially if you allow the choice it would be a bad look to not go up. Some wouldn’t care but I believe most that have a legit chance would do it.

It wouldn’t be more tournament games. It’s the same number of tournament games. It will probably lose money, unless state title attendance greatly increases, as now they have to rent the biggest venues for more games.
Could be a lot more like the current volleyball system where high schools handle events until state level. No need for BG, OU, UT anymore.

It depends. I think they would like to compete in D1. I really do. Especially if you allow the choice it would be a bad look to not go up. Some wouldn’t care but I believe most that have a legit chance would do it.
I think they would schedule those teams in regular season. If the high number of players that transferred to RH wanted to play big school talent they would not have gone to a D4 school. IMO

No sectionals/districts? Keep it at 4 and let the power teams move up. All this shuffling around, I would not be shocked if some of these teams opted out of OHSAA and just ran a national schedule. All this so some small towns can get a trophy?

I think they would schedule those teams in regular season. If the high number of players that transferred to RH wanted to play big school talent they would not have gone to a D4 school. IMO
I don’t think kids are thinking that way to be honest. But maybe they are 🤷‍♂️

IF they kept the divisions at 4 I would like to see set district boundaries for teams to play inside before they can move on. The current system allows for power teams to avoid conflicts when they can select from multiple district locations. I know the argument has been "what if 2 of the best teams in the state are in the same district?". That's just how the ball bounces that season.

There is such a big difference between the big and small D-I schools I think this is a good idea. Teams from the MVL for example don't have the same enrollment numbers as the Cincinnati schools, and it is really difficult for them to compete. Splitting up the big schools would allow for better competition beyond the Sectional brackets. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same thing with the spring sports too. The state would make even more money, so of course it's a great idea!

So now you don't think kids and their parents are making these moves to win?
To win is part of the larger pie. What division in the state of Ohio I don’t think matters as much. But still a slice of the pie. More about playing with other good players. Recruiting exposure for some of the pie. Richmond Heights playing some high level national teams.

I just think there are multiple slices to the pie than just winning a D4 state championship.

To win is part of the larger pie. What division in the state of Ohio I don’t think matters as much. But still a slice of the pie. More about playing with other good players. Recruiting exposure for some of the pie. Richmond Heights playing some high level national teams.

I just think there are multiple slices to the pie than just winning a D4 state championship.
RH is playing high level teams now that they have won back to back state titles with ease. A group of kids and their parents selected a small D4 public school on the east side of Cleveland for a reason.

Reactions: y2h
Make division 1 in basketball the same as football, then divide everyone else into four divisions for five total.
When it comes right down to it for basketball, it doesn't matter much if you have 1200 boys in your school or 700.
Richmond Hgts has 98.

RH is playing high level teams now that they have won back to back state titles with ease. A group of kids and their parents selected a small D4 public school on the east side of Cleveland for a reason.
And I am saying there are multiple reasons for that and winning a D4 state championship might not be the biggest slice. I don’t think that is too crazy to say.

When it comes right down to it for basketball, it doesn't matter much if you have 1200 boys in your school or 700.
Richmond Hgts has 98.

People say this but other than the exception of those "super teams," what data do you have to support this? In Southwest Ohio, there are more D2 football-sized schools in Division 1 basketball than D1 football-sized schools. Yet something like 41 of the last 44 district champions are D1 football-sized schools. If the enrollment imbalance doesn't matter much, why the imbalance in results?

People say this but other than the exception of those "super teams," what data do you have to support this? In Southwest Ohio, there are more D2 football-sized schools in Division 1 basketball than D1 football-sized schools. Yet something like 41 of the last 44 district champions are D1 football-sized schools. If the enrollment imbalance doesn't matter much, why the imbalance in results?
Football and basketball are apples and oranges. One great player can carry a basketball team to a District Championship. One great player can help a football team be better.

The goal is to decrease the overall enrollment disparity within divisions. It’ll break down like this- d1, 64 schools. D2, 64 schools. D3-7, an even split of the remaining schools.
So under this plan, the team that won D1 a year ago (Archbishop Hoban) would drop to D3. I get enrollment disparity with football, but still don't comprehend it entirely with basketball.

Sounds like a great plan.

Go to 1 division like Indiana used to be. 😂 The amount of people who are still mad that they have multiple divisions in Indiana is mind boggling to me. I’ve talked to a lot of those people and people are still mad the state moved away from 1. That is interesting to me.

Football and basketball are apples and oranges. One great player can carry a basketball team to a District Championship. One great player can help a football team be better.
So why doesn't it happen more? I gave data. You are speaking in generalities. If enrollment doesn't matter much, why such dominance by the larger D1 schools over the smaller ones? Do you have data from other parts of the state that differs from what we are seeing in Southwest Ohio?

There are definitely multiple slicesand every time these type of programs get brought and get accused of stealing small town championships it shows who the people who dont get it truly are but I digress lol

I love the idea of moving to 7 divisions - the same as football, with almost 100 more schools to fill the divisions.

It wouldn’t be more tournament games.
Agreed. The best way to figure out how many games there will be is to take the total number of teams and subtract the number of state champions. That is the total number of tournament games (everyone loses once except the champs). Every additional division means one less game in the total number of tournament games.

Agreed. The best way to figure out how many games there will be is to take the total number of teams and subtract the number of state champions. That is the total number of tournament games (everyone loses once except the champs). Every additional division means one less game in the total number of tournament games.
I think the big variable becomes if Divisions III-VII would continue to adhere to the sixteen district tournaments format across the six geographic districts, or not. Evidently that’s going away with Divisions I and II being four regions of 16.

The way it currently is, I have it as a rough estimate of 660 games across the four divisions for boys basketball.

It’s a minimum of 127 games in each division, as is. 4 x 127 = 508. The sectionals final stage, which every division has, is the round of 128. The hard math is accounting for how many sectional semi-finals and sectional quarterfinals there are in each division, as not every district is a perfect sixteen teams for instance and other geographic districts statewide have a large cache of participant teams.