Rumor about 6-7 divisions in basketball

Wouldn't the bigger cost be having to pay someone to run the shot clock every game going forward. For public schools that would include putting money into the public retirement fund. Not sure the current clock operator could do both.
In my experience, for triple headers, game workers (clock, scorebook) got paid $50 for the night. If a teacher or school employee works, then that was negotiated by the union and they get paid the hourly rate with a small contribution to the respective retirement fund (SERS or STRS). If you only used the shot clock for JV and Varsity (or even just varsity), you are looking at a negligible amount. 11 home games for boys and girls = 22 total home games at let's just say its a triple header (I know not all schools have freshmen teams) x $50 = $1100 in payments to a shot clock operator... obviously some schools pay different amounts but that is not a large enough figure in my opinion to be the driving reason to not have a shot clock.

I am one of the game workers at my school and we all get paid.

I think the bigger issue might be finding someone conscientious and reliable to be there EVERY GAME. For something like operating the shot clock, it can't be a revolving door of people from one game to the next.
It's pretty obvious the cost of installing two shot clocks in every podunk school in the state is prohibitive which is why it won't happen.
Come on guys, we have play clocks in football that run just fine. Every small school I've been to has a few of them, I see no problem with it in basketball. Hell, you could just use the same ReadyRef's the back judge's use in football if need be. On top of that, football is way more convoluted when it comes to the clock. 25 seconds sometimes, 40 other times.

As far as this topic goes, I certainly can understand how it impacts schools quite a bit in the postseason. Whitmer, Findlay & Perrysburg will essentially never play a local district game again. There are currently 70 D1 basketball programs that will move down to D3 following this change, so definitely a huge adjustment. My take, it's good from a state title perspective but not good from a district level.

Come on guys, we have play clocks in football that run just fine. Every small school I've been to has a few of them, I see no problem with it in basketball. Hell, you could just use the same ReadyRef's the back judge's use in football if need be. On top of that, football is way more convoluted when it comes to the clock. 25 seconds sometimes, 40 other times.

As far as this topic goes, I certainly can understand how it impacts schools quite a bit in the postseason. Whitmer, Findlay & Perrysburg will essentially never play a local district game again. There are currently 70 D1 basketball programs that will move down to D3 following this change, so definitely a huge adjustment. My take, it's good from a state title perspective but not good from a district level.
Almost might as well just make it like the NCAA Tournament and eliminate the districts all together. Its 64 teams anyway, Split them into the four regions (Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati) and there is your bracket. I am in Cleveland area so we are lucky that we have so many D1 teams nearby to where this won't hurt as nearly as bad as it will for NW Ohio and other areas that do not have as many D1 schools. It will stink having near empty gyms because a team will be traveling 1.5-2 hours for a first or second round tournament game..

How much do you think people are getting paid to run a clock? Actually most people just volunteer
What? Are you thinking they would hire an employee to run a shot clock 2-3 days a week in the winter? Do refs get put into a school retirement fund? I do not see this becoming a Board approved contract position.
I time track meets and get a paycheck for $100 per meet after the season. The school and I have to pay into retirement system. The ticket takers, announcers and score keepers are all paid the same way. I don't know what those others are getting paid. But I assume if someone is running the clock for Freshman, JV and V games would get similar amount.

Refs are completely different as they are 1099 employees not school employees. The board doesn't approve my position.

I time track meets and get a paycheck for $100 per meet after the season. The school and I have to pay into retirement system. The ticket takers, announcers and score keepers are all paid the same way. I don't know what those others are getting paid. But I assume if someone is running the clock for Freshman, JV and V games would get similar amount.

Refs are completely different as they are 1099 employees not school employees. The board doesn't approve my position.
‘Those others’ aren’t participating in the retirement system, unless they are otherwise employed by the school.

Interestingly, if any teams drop out of the tournament in DI or DII, that would mean a team goes straight to the district championship.

I wonder how the school knows your social and address to be able to provide you retirement and take out taxes?

Almost might as well just make it like the NCAA Tournament and eliminate the districts all together. Its 64 teams anyway, Split them into the four regions (Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati) and there is your bracket. I am in Cleveland area so we are lucky that we have so many D1 teams nearby to where this won't hurt as nearly as bad as it will for NW Ohio and other areas that do not have as many D1 schools. It will stink having near empty gyms because a team will be traveling 1.5-2 hours for a first or second round tournament game..
Well I think basketball needs a major reboot in general, it's declined significantly in the last 20 years interest wise. Too many AAU type private schools with absolutely no following are ruling the lower divisions, and it's hurting tournament interest quite a bit.

Why would they drop out?
Broke OHSAA rules. Not competitive. Injuries or sickness.

I counted six schools in football that were not eligible for the playoffs. Five were because of too few games and one opted out.

I know of teams that have been ruled ineligible due to breaking OHSAA rules...usually the out-of-state rule about not missing school. With 64 teams, there is no margin for a team withdrawing.

Well I think basketball needs a major reboot in general, it's declined significantly in the last 20 years interest wise. Too many AAU type private schools with absolutely no following are ruling the lower divisions, and it's hurting tournament interest quite a bit.
I think that is why I have a problem with this. I don't see it as a solution to any of the problems the OHSAA is currently suffering through.

‘Those others’ aren’t participating in the retirement system, unless they are otherwise employed by the school.
If they receive a paycheck from the school they are participating in the retirement system. And those others are receiving a paycheck like I am. I am not employed in any other position other than timing meets and I am paying into the retirement system just like the school is paying in on my behalf. I receive like .1 year of severance so will never reach the 10 years need to collect retirement.

I wonder how the school knows your social and address to be able to provide you retirement and take out taxes?
No idea where you are going with this but I filled all the preemployment paperwork like you do for every job. You are either being a dumb or a smart neither puts in a good light.

Last edited:

This is exactly right. Our game pay is processed through payroll, which means is subjected to taxes and deductions. That includes federal and state tax, city tax, and school district tax. And we have to pay into SERS. AND...we get only $20 per game.

This is exactly right. Our game pay is processed through payroll, which means is subjected to taxes and deductions. That includes federal and state tax, city tax, and school district tax. And we have to pay into SERS. AND...we get only $20 per game.
Interesting. Some are paid with a vendor check. Did you know that the money you pay into SERS (assuming you’re not otherwise a school employee) can be refunded to you?

Broke OHSAA rules. Not competitive. Injuries or sickness.

I counted six schools in football that were not eligible for the playoffs. Five were because of too few games and one opted out.

I know of teams that have been ruled ineligible due to breaking OHSAA rules...usually the out-of-state rule about not missing school. With 64 teams, there is no margin for a team withdrawing.
Football is an invitation to the playoff but basketball is not.

If they receive a paycheck from the school they are participating in the retirement system. And those others are receiving a paycheck like I am. I am not employed in any other position other than timing meets and I am paying into the retirement system just like the school is paying in on my behalf. I receive like .1 year of severance so will never reach the 10 years need to collect retirement.

No idea where you are going with this but I filled all the preemployment paperwork like you do for every job. You are either being a dumb or a smart neither puts in a good light.
So you are a board approved employee. Now it makes sense.

Football is an invitation to the playoff but basketball is not.
From the OHSAA boys basketball webpage:

Tournament Entry Dates:
  • Tournament Entry Deadline: Tuesday, Jan. 29 2024
  • Schools that change their tournament participation after Jan. 29 will be subject to $150 penalty.
In football, it is much easier to recognize a team that did not participate in the tournament because of JoeEitel.com. I know I have seen local teams that chose not to play in the various sports over the years. Maybe someone on here can provide some specific examples for boys basketball.

From the OHSAA boys basketball webpage:

Tournament Entry Dates:
  • Tournament Entry Deadline: Tuesday, Jan. 29 2024
  • Schools that change their tournament participation after Jan. 29 will be subject to $150 penalty.
In football, it is much easier to recognize a team that did not participate in the tournament because of JoeEitel.com. I know I have seen local teams that chose not to play in the various sports over the years. Maybe someone on here can provide some specific examples for boys basketball.
Just about anything can happen but I have seen it in football more often since the 7 division change. Usually when a 0-10 or 1-9 team gets matched with a 10-0 team. I have not heard of a basketball team who is able to play saying "no thanks".

Have operated clock for soccer for over twenty years and never got paid a penny. As it is a Catholic school if I did get paid I would have to pass state,FBI and church background check. Come tournament time if I work any tournament games I get a stipend but that is from the site management Bottom line is everyone does it differently. BTW I have also done bball on and off over the years,nary a dime.

Another consideration is room,with some new scoreboard you need two operators. One timer and one to input the player data,fouls and points and whatever. Now you want to add a shot clock operator . Add two scorekeepers and an announcer plus a spot for a newspaper reporter and that table is getting very crowded. BTW many small towns do still have local newspapers.

Another consideration is room,with some new scoreboard you need two operators. One timer and one to input the player data,fouls and points and whatever. Now you want to add a shot clock operator . Add two scorekeepers and an announcer plus a spot for a newspaper reporter and that table is getting very crowded. BTW many small towns do still have local newspapers.
The parent board can be updated during dead balls, it has no impact on the game. The shot clock for the most part is hitting a reset button at the right time. Very possible to share.

My son does it for AAU basketball… girl’s do it in club volleyball. North College Hill and Akron SVSM both asked to play D1 yrs ago. Massillon wanted to remain D1. The top boys basketball players in Indiana transfer around, but they all gravitate to the big schools. The better schools and teams want to play the best competition. They should be given the opportunity.
This didn’t age well