Rumor about 6-7 divisions in basketball

Will a 64-team field in an OHSAA tournament be the record for the fewest teams to compete for a state title in any sport?
1707950892439.png

Wow, didn't realize that Field Hockey was so small. Is this a change from the past? Did more schools play and just give up the sport?
I know zero about field hockey other than that. I would guess more used to play otherwise not sure they would have started having championship.

Just looked a little and found only 12 different schools has won the title since started 1979.
1707955796231.png

Using current enrollment and CB numbers:

D1 638 & up (64 schools)
D2 457-637 (64 schools)
D3 281-456 (134 schools)
D4 193-280 (134 schools)
D5 143-192 (132 schools)
D6 99-142 (135 schools)
D7 98 & fewer (136 schools)

From OHSAA's presentation.
I’m sorry, I meant the listing of teams that would be in the new divisions along with their current classification. I know I saw it somewhere. Thanks though!

Probably impossible to do. but would love to see those numbers split up by private/public open enrollment and closed public. Not positive it would change, but suspect it would quite a bit
How many public schools in Ohio are closed to open enrollment?

Most of the large and mid-sized public schools are closed enrollment. It won’t make a lick of difference
That is good info, but doesn't answer my question

I'm not an Ohio expert but did some googling to get this info for 2023 Basketball state champions:
Hoban - Private
Buchtel - Public with open enrollment
Lutheran East - Private
Richmond Heights - Public with open enrollment

If my info is correct you can present this as half the state championships were won by publics or all the state championships were won by private/open enrollment publics. Hence why I said it would be interesting to see the numbers presented this way.

LargestSmallestDifference% Difference
D2
637​
457​
180​
39.4%​
D3
456​
281​
175​
62.3%​
D4
280​
193​
87​
45.1%​
D5
192​
143​
49​
34.3%​
D6
142​
99​
43​
43.4%​

I will say it again, 64 teams is too small for a division. Having 2 divisions at 64 teams makes no sense at all. It's like Oprah is running the OHSAA. You get a trophy! You get a trophy! And you get a trophy!!

Why can't they just split D2-D7 equally? They want to compare it to football but they make this one change in a sport where enrollment is a small variable in a school's ability to compete.

There must be a next step that they are hiding as this makes no sense.
My opinion based on some contacts I have at the local level in the OHSAA is that this is a move to eventually disband conferences. If you have 4 regions of 16, that leads to a perfect split of two 8 team "leagues" in each corner of the state. I really don't hate the idea, the ridiculous amount of re-alignment occurring at the moment would be easily solved if something like this were implemented

Elder will be D2
LaSalle will be D3
So let's take a school like Elder for example. If I understand correctly, here's what it would look like:

Football - stays in D1 - will still be good, but can't compete with the elite programs on a year to year basis
Basketball - moves to D2 - they won't dominate, but they will be better than probably 80% of the D2 programs - should make deep runs most years
Baseball - moves to D2 - they will win more state titles at D2 for sure
Volleyball - moves to D2 - they will dominate D2 in volleyball
Soccer - not sure - where would they land in Soccer?

So let's take a school like Elder for example. If I understand correctly, here's what it would look like:

Football - stays in D1 - will still be good, but can't compete with the elite programs on a year to year basis
Basketball - moves to D2 - they won't dominate, but they will be better than probably 80% of the D2 programs - should make deep runs most years
Baseball - moves to D2 - they will win more state titles at D2 for sure
Volleyball - moves to D2 - they will dominate D2 in volleyball
Soccer - not sure - where would they land in Soccer?
D2 in all sports. This isn't the old system where you could be in different divisions for different sports.

D2 in all sports. This isn't the old system where you could be in different divisions for different sports.
Are you sure about football?

I wonder what schools like Elder think about this? And if athletes would go elsewhere wanting to play at the highest level. Will be interesting to hear people's perspectives from these schools that have always competed well in D1.

I assume Moe stays D1? St X is pretty obviously D1.

Question posed to me by someone else...In basketball, for instance, does everyone think this would result in fewer teams per district, have districts cover a larger geographical area, or both?

Are you sure about football?

I wonder what schools like Elder think about this? And if athletes would go elsewhere wanting to play at the highest level. Will be interesting to hear people's perspectives from these schools that have always competed well in D1.

I assume Moe stays D1? St X is pretty obviously D1.
Yes Moe and X stay D1.

Like you have always said about Elder.... It's daddy ball so it won't affect them at all.

You sure? Pretty sure soccer will only have 5 divisions so that can't be a universal rule.

Since the top 2 divisions are only 64 teams,- is there anyone out there who is that size that doesn't have football?

I would also think that CB changes the numbers per sport.

Yes Moe and X stay D1.

Like you have always said about Elder.... It's daddy ball so it won't affect them at all.
I'm thinking of their top tier athletes. They may re-consider.

But 99% of the feeder kids probably won't care if they're keeping their spot. Elder will probably dominate most of D2. It will make all of them daddy ball guys very happy.

I'm sure Omar is having a fit.

I find it interesting that the proposal states, "each year, the Board of Directors would still have final authority in determining how many divisions to be used that school year."