ROE VS WADE OVERTURNED!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. Quibble with my wording if you want, but the founders believed the militia would meet the needs of national defense while also balancing the potential tyrannical power of a standing army. In this way, because they might someday have to operate as a combined force, the militias were to be “well-regulated". I'm sure you're already familiar with Article I, Section 8, Clause 15 though. ?‍♂️

That’s a take. lol.

That being said, if you found alien sperm on another planet, you’d for sure call that extraterrestrial life.
If they found a living cell on another planet or moon, it would be broadcast by every channel every night proclaiming there is life outside our atmosphere. Guarandamnteed.

That’s a take. lol.
You clearly disagree, and that's reasonable. I tend to focus on the text and wording of sht like this, so that's a personal problem. Lol. I happen to disagree with the Roe ruling, and at the same time, don't have an issue with the SCOTUS ruling around concealed carry. I just found the dichotomy of the two decisions in consecutive days pretty funny on the part of SCOTUS. Needless to say, I won't be wearing a vag hat around this weekend, so AS12 can put away his binoculars. Lol.

All the weeping ang gnashing of teeth by the baby choppers today. Abortion still exists and if you want to kill the unborn you may have to hop in the car and take a little drive, that's all.

You’ll see some of the southern states move to make IUD’s and emergency contraception illegal. Missouri has a bill already filed heading towards committee that does that just that

I have the novel idea that women in this country shouldn’t be at the whim of each state for their healthcare decisions. An American should have basic universal rights to make their own healthcare decisions.
So birth control won't be banned. That's good.

I just got through reading the entire opinion. It's largely the same as the draft. The "concurrence", if you can call it that, of Roberts is a steaming pile of dog poop. Thomas' concurrence is brilliant and wholly correct imo, but the Alito opinion is where the majority of the concurrence lies.

But the 66 page dissent was tedious because no constitutional arguments were made - which does make some sense given that Roe had no constitutional basis. You can sum the entire dissent up with "We like abortion, we think it is important, therefore it should be upheld as a constitutional right." Then they go on to make political policy arguments - which demonstrates why it is always bad to appoint leftists to the court.

Those political policy points will all be thoroughly debated state by state. This is what the court in 1973 should have done, but they did an unconstitutional cramdown and that was gloriously corrected today.

I just got through reading the entire opinion. It's largely the same as the draft. The "concurrence", if you can call it that, of Roberts is a steaming pile of dog poop. Thomas' concurrence is brilliant and wholly correct imo, but the Alito opinion is where the majority of the concurrence lies.

But the 66 page dissent was tedious because no constitutional arguments were made - which does make some sense given that Roe had no constitutional basis. You can sum the entire dissent up with "We like abortion, we think it is important, therefore it should be upheld as a constitutional right." Then they go on to make political policy arguments which demonstrates why it is always bad to appoint leftists to the court.

Those political policy points will all be thoroughly debated state by state. This is what the court in 1973 should have done, but they did an unconstitutional cramdown and that was gloriously corrected today.
So given you believe this should be thoroughly debated and decided at the State level, where do you land if a Republican Congress attempts a nationwide ban? It could be on the table. McCarthy already said as much this afternoon.

So given you believe this should be thoroughly debated and decided at the State level, where do you land if a Republican Congress attempts a nationwide ban? It could be on the table. McCarthy already said as much this afternoon.

Politically it would be a mistake, and I would think the current SCOTUS would most certainly strike it down based on today’s ruling.

Reactions: y2h
Well, I despise abortion and believe that innocent life should be protected from conception to last natural breath. So, obviously I would support a bill like that.

However, that has zero chance of being possible due to senate filibuster rules (which is why talking about ending the filibuster was stupid for Dems) and because there would not be anywhere near enough votes to override a certain Brandon veto.

That slimeball, McCarthy, was demogoguing and playing the Overton Window game.

Let's say the GOP got to 70 senators, had the house and white house - I still doubt they could pass such a law because of the non-conservatives in the caucus.

So, this is going to be a state by state battle. The deep blue states will have abortion on demand and the deep red states will have very severe restrictions and limited abortion. Purple states will battle it out, perhaps back and forth, probably for decades. All of that is fine with me because that process will be constitutional and a democratic expression of the will of the people.

IMG_9376.jpg

Clarence Thomas called for the decision reguarding gay marriage and birth control to be reviewed.
I don't know about Obergefell, but Griswold had reasoning that stressed that to ban birth control would necessarily require state power to ensure someone was not in possession of a substance, and that it was far too unreasonable to contemplate owing to the fourth amendment.

Regardless... if the DNC doesn't take today as an inflection point, they're doomed. They MUST leave their bubble and appeal nationally if they hope to get anywhere. The Schumer doctrine of writing off purple states like Missouri, Ohio, Montana, etc. is political suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.