Renacci to primary Dewine

Again, there is not a rejection of technology, per se, among mainstream Amish groups. There is an intentional abstinence from some of it, and a choice to live a step behind so that there is a visible and substantive difference between them and "the world".
This is how it was explained to me as well. It's not that they are anti-electricity or anything. It's the fact that the electrical line running from the road to their house is a symbol that they are permanently connected to the world when they need to be connected to God. Some churches allow natural gas generators or solar panels for this reason...they aren't connected to the rest of the world. Some churches will allow electrical lines to the barns so they can run the milking machines and refrigerators...as long as the barn is not directly connected to the house. Many have telephone lines run to a nearby phone shack for their business. When you realize that's it not about the technology, but about making sure they are "of God" and not "of the world," it all makes much more sense.

Interesting stuff. Have been reading a few links about the different dialects used by various Amish communities. This one is particularly good:

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/german...ut-i-have-no-idea-what-you-re-saying/43491608
Thank you for posting this. I really enjoyed that. Fun and informative.

I recognize all those sayings. I have even slipped into some of it. I will say, "Let's go down to the Dairy Queen once." Lol

I learned early on with making appointments that you can't use the term "noon" with the Amish. If you tell an Englisher noon, they understand it as exactly 12:00 PM, but noon to a PD speaker means about 11 AM to 1 PM. So if you tell them to come at noon and they will ask for an exact time. Lol.

And probably still better off, on the whole.
In some ways, they are much better off.

You ever go to Applebys and there is a family of 5 over there, all staring at their phones and not interacting with one another?

Family dinners, face to face conversations, and knowing the details of what your kids are thinking about are very, very virtuous habits. Not sure very many people are doing those things these days and technologies are a big distraction from being able to do it.

We had family dinners. With the kids in sports, sometimes it was only 3-4 times a week. Sunday dinner was mandatory. Bringing a phone to the table was a capital offense and full participation was required. They didn't turn out too bad. No ax murderers in the bunch.

In some ways, they are much better off.

You ever go to Applebys and there is a family of 5 over there, all staring at their phones and not interacting with one another?

Family dinners, face to face conversations, and knowing the details of what your kids are thinking about are very, very virtuous habits. Not sure very many people are doing those things these days and technologies are a big distraction from being able to do it.

We had family dinners. With the kids in sports, sometimes it was only 3-4 times a week. Sunday dinner was mandatory. Bringing a phone to the table was a capital offense and full participation was required. They didn't turn out too bad. No ax murderers in the bunch.
The decision to forego some material things and home school our boys until Middle School, along with controlling the television, was the best single decision my wife and I ever made together. They were ready to stand tall and think independently, even within the peer pressure of "suburban splendor". I thank God that she places little value on material things, and that she came around and became more committed to it than I ever would have hoped. She was and is wonderful.

They entered or returned to school, all 3 of them, with many friends, due to church, sports, and home school study groups. Next best thing to being a close-knit Winkie family ? Worked well for us.

DeWine has his solid core of Elites. Is this a method to dilute the MAGA vote? Buyer beware, Rinos only want wealth and power. IMO I like the farmer.

DeWine has his solid core of Elites. Is this a method to dilute the MAGA vote? Buyer beware, Rinos only want wealth and power. IMO I like the farmer.

As long as the Republican with a plurality of votes isn't Little Mike Jung Un, I'm not going to care that much.

I hope a message is sent that establishment republicanism is dead in Ohio and then Little Mike can go do whatever retired tyrants do. Lol.

I find it interesting that the article says Little Mike is struggling because of his tepid embrace of Trump.

That's not it - at least for me. The reason I harbor so much hostility and resentment toward him is that the man, RINO/establishment inclinations aside, ran as a conservative and understands how much his voters value individual liberty and limited govt power, and, yet, he chose to impose tyranny on us, and wouldn't stop until the legislature forced him to.

All you need to know about this particular despicable spineless weasel is that he appointed an abortion activist and a Re-elect Obama co-chair to direct ODH, paraded her out for months to talk to us like we were 5 year olds, and lauded her while she was there, and after, for telling us silly things and stepping on us.

The ad writes itself. That's who Little Mike is, and the voters need to have that message hammered home - and send that weasel packing.

Not that I feel that strongly about it.

As long as the Republican with a plurality of votes isn't Little Mike Jung Un, I'm not going to care that much.

I hope a message is sent that establishment republicanism is dead in Ohio and then Little Mike can go do whatever retired tyrants do. Lol.

Ohio has done extremely well under your much derided “establishment republicans” over the last decade. They’ve guided the state from a flat broke industrial burn out to a fiscally sound economically diverse state that is rapidly growing economically. We have new employers and developments everywhere. You want to risk setting the state back?

I’ll never understand the thought process of those who would burn everything down around them in the name of purity.

Ohio has done extremely well under your much derided “establishment republicans” over the last decade. They’ve guided the state from a flat broke industrial burn out to a fiscally sound economically diverse state that is rapidly growing economically. We have new employers and developments everywhere.

I’ll never understand the thought process of those who would burn everything down around them in the name of purity. Stupid stupid stupid

Why do you care? You're not going to vote for him.

Ohio has done extremely well under your much derided “establishment republicans” over the last decade. They’ve guided the state from a flat broke industrial burn out to a fiscally sound economically diverse state that is rapidly growing economically. We have new employers and developments everywhere. You want to risk setting the state back?

I’ll never understand the thought process of those who would burn everything down around them in the name of purity.
I had the same feelings until I started researching these RINOS. They are all about their little group. Kasich open my eyes. Get the big money out of politics. It's known as the swamp.

He probably voted against Trump too.

Voted against Trump in 2016 and 2020. If he runs again I’ll vote against him then too. He’s morally and ethically unfit to lead this country. I mean it’s really sad how little he accomplished compared to what he could have. His lack of impulse control and inability to control his mouth sabotaged his own presidency.

Most of that economic success can be attributed to the oil & natural gas found in Eastern Ohio. That has been a windfall.

The problem I have with DeWine has nothing to do with ideological purity. Heck I don't want that kind of leader where I live. I want a practical person who can cut through the BS. The problem is that DeWine's handling of covid has been awful. He has fallen for the crap that his Public Health Departments have put out. Remember the ridiculous color coding of Ohio counties?

Some see DeWine's middle of the road handling of covid to be a good thing. He locked down but not to hard and then he reopened but not to early and not to quickly. My problem is that if DeWine really believed the stuff coming out of Dr Acton and his group of illustrious university medical professionals then he should have locked down a lot harder and longer then he did.

On the other hand I expected a practical, non-ideological Governor to do what DeSantis and others did in their states. Once they realized who really was at risk from covid and that the mitigation efforts were useless they reopened ASAP. DeWine dragged it out. My only conclusion is that he wanted to avoid controversy in either direction and that's not the sign of a leader.

And the last straw for me was when DeWine ordered the Ohio National Guard to provide slave labor to Hospitals whose foolish administrators had placed in jeopardy by their ill considered actions in firing people during the early days of the pandemic and then making matters worse by mandating that all their workers had to be vaccinated.

Voted for him in 2018 and will vote for him again in 2024.

I thought you were a Moonbat, not a RINO. Sorry.

He won't be on the ticket in 2024, or in 2022 when he's actually up next. If by miracles of miracles he does survive the primary, he will get trounced in the general.

Write that down.

Ohio- Trump 54% Babbles 46%

It's not about purity. It's about liberty. And I have this crazy idea that a politician professing to be a conservative should value, respect, and prioritize liberty as much as their voters do.

Doing "extremely well" is relative to what a person values most. I value liberty.

Nothing is being burned down. A republican will be governor and successful conservative policies will continue. All that will change is that little fraud will not be anywhere near the levers of power.

It's not about purity. It's about liberty. And I have this crazy idea that a politician professing to be a conservative should value, respect, and prioritize liberty as much as their voters do.

Doing "extremely well" is relative to what a person values most. I value liberty.

Nothing is being burned down. A republican will be governor and successful conservative policies will continue. All that will change is that little fraud will not be anywhere near the levers of power.
Amen

We never had that problem. The cord didn't reach nearly far enough.

Last edited: