Renacci to primary Dewine

This guy nails it ...I am tired of the WHINY TAKERS that are Rural Whites....

" "
Lol.

You people.

My Amish neighbor has renal cancer. I took he and his wife up to the Cle Clinic Wed. He had his kidney removed up there about 10 days ago and he had his last tests to find metastasis. All of his tests were negative. He doesn't have to go back for 3 months.

When they told me the good news, I said that we needed to celebrate and asked him how he wanted to do it. He said he wanted a milkshake. But then he added, "But first, let's get out of this filthy city."

Couldnt have said it better myself. I couldn't stand to live in a place like that for 10 minutes. But to each his own.

Lol.

You people.

My Amish neighbor has renal cancer. I took he and his wife up to the Cle Clinic Wed. He had his kidney removed up there about 10 days ago and he had his last tests to find metastasis. All of his tests were negative. He doesn't have to go back for 3 months.

When they told me the good news, I said that we needed to celebrate and asked him how he wanted to do it. He said he wanted a milkshake. But then he added, "But first, let's get out of this filthy city."

Couldnt have said it better myself. I couldn't stand to live in a place like that for 10 minutes. But to each his own.
Cool....I don't have an issue with rural communities...just the over representation in our "democracy(!) You should feel fortunate that you have urban centers with medical professionals to treat your cancer and not think of it as an inconvenience. Thank the educated medical staff at the Cleveland Clinic. Your Amish neighbor is blessed by our technology and science in our urban centers.

I find it sad your amish friend cannot show some grace and thanks.

Last edited:
What policies are the GOP pushing that help working class????
Right now? Dragging their feet on further stimulus/infrastructure. For a fixed wage worker who rents, inflation will be devastating. This is incidental of course as they were fine with it as little as 14 months ago before the election.

I will admit that the DNC is going to help a lot of people with the child care tax credit. However, this is welfare and welfare only. And that comes with a lot of negative consequences in the sociological/societal sense. While crude and often inaccurate about why, Trump was not wrong about China. Our businesses use China and other third world nations for almost free slave labor to perpetuate a consumption-based society, hurting our own working class in the process. Yes, Trump was ineffective but he tried. So you could give that to the GOP, because the wing of the DNC that opposed that type of business is long gone. Biden has kept some of the tariffs but it's an open question whether they care at all about this issue still remaining. I suspect they don't.

And I don't consider West Virginia an anchor. Perhaps they know neither party is doing much for them and just don't want to be insulted by snobs, hence the defaulting to the GOP. You could say that 14 years of ultra-easy monetary policy makes California (inane glorified advertising firm SF tech companies) an anchor on the rest of the country, but Californians are quite nice so they don't deserve that appellation.

I find it sad your amish friend cannot show some grace and thanks.
What an odd way to reason. Where something is located is the cause for all the good it does?

Oh he is very thankful for his care and understands he is an object of grace. He just credits something different than a disgusting, crime-ridden, over-crowded city for it. His gratefulness is directed a little higher than that.

But I know you can't understand that concept.

What an odd way to reason. Where something is located is the cause for all the good it does?

Oh he is very thankful for his care and understands he is an object of grace. He just credits something different than a disgusting, crime-ridden, over-crowded city for it. His gratefulness is directed a little higher than that.

But I know you can't understand that concept.
Except the source of that care and grace could not exist without the disgusting, crime ridden, over-crowded city. As such, his thanks must include the city. Anything less and it just insincere lip service.

But I know you can’t understand that truth.

Last edited:
Except for "low" (strictest) Amish, they all have electricity to some degree. Most commonly this is from the sources of generators and solar. Some "high" Amish may have a line from the power grid and a meter.

My neighbor is on the mid-lower point on the Amish continuum. He is building an amazing new home with a large solar system with a generator back-up.

People commonly label the Amish "anti-technology". On the low end, this is true. But for what we call " regular old order and new order", it's not that things like electricity, cars, phones, computers, etc., are evil, but more that they want to stay several steps behind the rest of the world. In fact, my neighbor personally owns a fleet of work trucks, and he uses computers and smart phones for his business. But when he goes home, all of those things don't come home with him.

The over-riding principle is to live a plain, simple, and humble life - and that is in relation to the world around them. People addicted to technology think they are freaks and stupid, but I gotta say, having done life with them for 30 years, they are some of the smartest and most sensible people I have ever known and I do see many virtues in their approach.

When you are in trouble, they show up in droves with whatever help is required - without being asked. We have seen each other through some hard times - miscarriages, tragic deaths, fires, severe injuries, bad illnesses, and the like. I have the best neighbors that anyone ever had. I love every single one of them.

Like any human culture, there are bad people and some not so virtuous expressions of being Amish, but on the whole, especially in the mid-range of the continuum, there is a ton of good there.

Last edited:
The over-riding principle is to live a plain, simple, and humble life - and that is in relation to the world around them.

Unless that means lifesaving medical treatment where your neighbor embraces the very latest in complexity and technology.

That seems a tad hypocritical, no?

Unless that means lifesaving medical treatment where your neighbor embraces the very latest in complexity and technology.

No, but perhaps I need to understand the underlying thought better.

Again, there is not a rejection of technology, per se, among mainstream Amish groups. There is an intentional abstinence from some of it, and a choice to live a step behind so that there is a visible and substantive difference between them and "the world".

I am not on any of the big social media platforms because I don't want that nonsense in my life. But if I had renal cancer, I would have the kidney removed and avail myself of whatever treatment was available. My shunning of some technology would not make me hypocritical if I took advantage of some other technology.

That would only be the case if I have previously condemned all technology. But perhaps your point is going over my head.

There is a picking and choosing of what technologies the Amish use and under what circumstances. Most of it makes little to no sense to anyone who is unfamiliar with their worldview, and some of it makes little to no sense to those who are familiar with that worldview!

But, I don't see a hypocrisy angle here.

If I was going to make an argument to someone like Jackson03 to reconsider his support of DeWine, I couldn't present a better piece of evidence than this post by Happier.

There are certain people that when I find myself in agreement with, it makes me instantly aware that I have taken some kind of mis-step. Lol.

Again, there is not a rejection of technology, per se, among mainstream Amish groups. There is an intentional abstinence from some of it, and a choice to live a step behind so that there is a visible and substantive difference between them and "the world".

Unless it comes to healthcare in this instance, then they choose to live in step with technology. Some technology is righteous, some is not I guess, or is that a false dilemma?

To your knowledge, do the Amish pay income tax? property tax? sales tax? inheritance tax?

I’ve seen parents and their horse-kicked 10 year old boy. Nobody is ever closer to God than that.

I would never have dreamed of second guessing anything that they had to decide

If I was going to make an argument to someone like Jackson03 to reconsider his support of DeWine, I couldn't present a better piece of evidence than this post by Happier.

There are certain people that when I find myself in agreement with, it makes me instantly aware that I have taken some kind of mis-step. Lol.
Do as I do, and just consider it their “broken clock moment “. ?

Unless it comes to healthcare in this instance, then they choose to live in step with technology. Some technology is righteous, some is not I guess, or is that a false dilemma?

To your knowledge, do the Amish pay income tax? property tax? sales tax? inheritance tax?
Again, excepting the strictest Amish, the best way to understand it as it is would be to grasp that there is no necessary objection to any particular technology; no moral value attached to it. But there is a high moral value placed on living simpler, plainer, and more humble than the world around them. A sacrifice of convenience is made to live that plain, simple, humble life.

This may help you: when we are all riding around in George Jetson air vehicles, they will be driving cars on the ground.

They pay all taxes - or they go to prison, like everyone else. Lol.

This question comes up because a good number of them are allowed to opt out of SS and Medicare and therefore avoid FICA taxes. But they can't ever enroll in Medicare or receive SS benefits if they don't pay in.

The only situation where some of them seem exempt from laws is in regard to traffic codes. For example, you will see a tractor pulling a hay wagon with no sides with 14 passengers sitting on the wagon in lawn chairs and maybe babies unbuckled in car seats. They are clearly using the tractor/wagon as a way to taxi people around. Can you imagine the carnage if that wagon was hit by a vehicle going a significant speed? They put all kinds of contraptions on public roads that create hazards. That is somewhat irritating, and they are NEVER ticketed that I am aware of, no matter how outrageous the situation is.

Still can't vote for the nursing home operator.

Cranley would be interesting if he weren't in bed with the ultra-pro choice folks tearing their hair out over not being able to get an abortion past 4 months gestation. Marijuana and sports betting for everyone. He'll lose to Whaley.

Still can't vote for the nursing home operator.

Cranley would be interesting if he weren't in bed with the ultra-pro choice folks tearing their hair out over not being able to get an abortion past 4 months gestation. Marijuana and sports betting for everyone. He'll lose to Whaley.
Has he been accused of corruption in his nursing home operation?

I don't really get the point of how running a nursing home is disqualifying or implies something negative - unless there are some specific facts that relate him to corrupt practices.

Now, used car salesman I do get. Lol. I would rather have hemorrhoid surgery without anesthetic than deal with those, uh, gentlemen.

Again, excepting the strictest Amish, the best way to understand it as it is would be to grasp that there is no necessary objection to any particular technology; no moral value attached to it. But there is a high moral value placed on living simpler, plainer, and more humble than the world around them. A sacrifice of convenience is made to live that plain, simple, humble life.

This may help you: when we are all riding around in George Jetson air vehicles, they will be driving cars on the ground.

They pay all taxes - or they go to prison, like everyone else. Lol.

This question comes up because a good number of them are allowed to opt out of SS and Medicare and therefore avoid FICA taxes. But they can't ever enroll in Medicare or receive SS benefits if they don't pay in.

The only situation where some of them seem exempt from laws is in regard to traffic codes. For example, you will see a tractor pulling a hay wagon with no sides with 14 passengers sitting on the wagon in lawn chairs and maybe babies unbuckled in car seats. They are clearly using the tractor/wagon as a way to taxi people around. Can you imagine the carnage if that wagon was hit by a vehicle going a significant speed? They put all kinds of contraptions on public roads that create hazards. That is somewhat irritating, and they are NEVER ticketed that I am aware of, no matter how outrageous the situation is.
Thankfully, not all Amish are as ungrateful as this jacka** seems to be. Goes to Cleveland to have his life saved and then trashes the city and people that live there. Is he going to go back there if the cancer comes back?

Has he been accused of corruption in his nursing home operation?

I don't really get the point of how running a nursing home is disqualifying or implies something negative - unless there are some specific facts that relate him to corrupt practices.

Now, used car salesman I do get. Lol. I would rather have hemorrhoid surgery without anesthetic than deal with those, uh, gentlemen.
No, to be clear he's not accused of anything. I just heavily dislike the industry itself and how even "good" ones operate. It's one of my pet issues.

No, to be clear he's not accused of anything. I just heavily dislike the industry itself and how even "good" ones operate. It's one of my pet issues.
Well, don't support Mike Jung Un and don't ever agree with Happy, Happier, or anyone who looks like Happy or Happier. Lol.

I’ve seen parents and their horse-kicked 10 year old boy. Nobody is ever closer to God than that.

I would never have dreamed of second guessing anything that they had to decide
My dau works in a level1 trauma center ER in Roanoke as a BSN trauma nurse. They have this doc from England. He struggles understanding some of the rich Virginia and Appalachian English accents down there.

They have some Amish down there, mostly the low variety. Some of them rarely speak English and don't speak it well.

This Amish family had a boy who fell out of the barn loft and had broken his patella. The family had opened both ends of a feed sack, filled it with straw, and duck taped it to create a leg splint. Lol.

Doc got frustrated that he couldn't communicate well with the patient and family. He finally yelled in his strong British accent: "Does anyone in this hospital speak these people's bloody language?"

One of the nurses said that she thought my dau did. My dau shows up and almost panics. She grew up speaking Pennsylvania Dutch she learned from playing with the neighborhood Amish kids, but she hadn't spoken it in 5 years. You can lose a language you don't use, but she started to try and within a few minutes she was translating and interpreting comfortably. It all came back.

Anyway, if you have anyone like that around that speaks the dialect, it can make it a lot better on the Amish patients.

I never learned much of it. I can kinda follow some conversations. It's not as necessary here because our Amish are higher and most of them get good English education.

But my kids used to fight in Penn Dutch with each other so that we couldn't understand what they were saying. So, I learned one word to shut that down: "schlakegivah". It means spanking. Lol.

My dau works in a level1 trauma center ER in Roanoke as a BSN trauma nurse. They have this doc from England. He struggles understanding some of the rich Virginia and Appalachian English accents down there.

They have some Amish down there, mostly the low variety. Some of them rarely speak English and don't speak it well.

This Amish family had a boy who fell out of the barn loft and had broken his patella. The family had opened both ends of a feed sack, filled it with straw, and duck taped it to create a leg splint. Lol.

Doc got frustrated that he couldn't communicate well with the patient and family. He finally yelled in his strong British accent: "Does anyone in this hospital speak these people's bloody language?"

One of the nurses said that she thought my dau did. My dau shows up and almost panics. She grew up speaking Pennsylvania Dutch she learned from playing with the neighborhood Amish kids, but she hadn't spoken it in 5 years. You can lose a language you don't use, but she started to try and within a few minutes she was translating and interpreting comfortably. It all came back.

Anyway, if you have anyone like that around that speaks the dialect, it can make it a lot better on the Amish patients.

I never learned much of it. I can kinda follow some conversations. It's not as necessary here because our Amish are higher and most of them get good English education.

But my kids used to fight in Penn Dutch with each other so that we couldn't understand what they were saying. So, I learned one word to shut that down: "schlakegivah". It means spanking. Lol.
One grandfather referred to the Middlefield Amish language as “close to Shwobish”. He could converse with them a bit.

I am pretty sure that they typically have someone around Geauga Co Hospital that can speak with the Amish when they come in. They may have to ask around, as with your dau.

One grandfather referred to the Middlefield Amish language as “close to Shwobish”. He could converse with them a bit.

I am pretty sure that they typically have someone around Geauga Co Hospital that can speak with the Amish when they come in. They may have to ask around, as with your dau.
Yeah, in Geauga the Amish up there are "low" or we call them "Swartzentruber". The men have bowl haircuts, their personal hygiene is a problem (one bath per week on Sat night) and while their places may be neat, they aren't allowed to be kept up too nice because that would be "proud". They are a different thing altogether.

I have relatives that visit here, mostly from the south. They always have 1000 questions about the Amish. Do they do this? Do they believe that? The answer depends on what kind of Amish we are talking about. What a New Order family believes and how they live is radically different than what a Swartzentruber family believes and how they live. They are completely different faiths and lifestyles, but they are both "Amish" - and they look the same to people who don't know how to distinguish them.

I have been able to have some success in helping my mostly Southern Baptist family members with questions by asking them: "If I asked you do Baptists believe this or that, what would you say?" They answer with, "Depends on what kind of Baptists you are talking about because there are 18 kinds." Exactly. Same thing here.

Yeah, in Geauga the Amish up there are "low" or we call them "Swartzentruber". The men have bowl haircuts, their personal hygiene is a problem (one bath per week on Sat night) and while their places may be neat, they aren't allowed to be kept up too nice because that would be "proud". They are a different thing altogether.

I have relatives that visit here, mostly from the south. They always have 1000 questions about the Amish. Do they do this? Do they believe that? The answer depends on what kind of Amish we are talking about. What a New Order family believes and how they live is radically different than what a Swartzentruber family believes and how they live. They are completely different faiths and lifestyles, but they are both "Amish" - and they look the same to people who don't know how to distinguish them.

I have been able to have some success in helping my mostly Southern Baptist family members with questions by asking them: "If I asked you do Baptists believe this or that, what would you say?" They answer with, "Depends on what kind of Baptists you are talking about because there are 18 kinds." Exactly. Same thing here.
I never saw a Free Will Baptist Church until I started riding the Ivy Mine hill in Lincoln Co WVa with a friend.

I became friends with a long-time nurse at Geauga Co Hosp (now UH Geauga) that had the trust of the locals, and was hired long-term by a Brit company for in depth genetic study of the population, mostly with kitchen table interviews, medical records, and family Bible back page notes. A common ancestor 5 or 6 generations removed is not uncommon there, even with purposeful introductions of 17 yr olds between Amish communities. Emergence of recessive traits, resilience of such traits in a gene pool, etc.

"I wish they all could be Mt Hope/Kidron Girls!", by the Beiler Boys ?

I recall in the early 80's, every now and then, one could see a girl in a bonnet enter a rte 87 gas station bathroom and come out a "Yankee girl" on a Friday eve if your equipment had a big fuel tank and you had a long enough wait. Mennonites, like my Swiss ancestors ? Today, how does an upper east side CLE guy tell a Russian DP chick's hairy pits from an Amish girl's in her "wild year" if the Russkie girl has no tats ?

Last edited:
I never saw a Free Will Baptist Church until I started riding the Ivy Mine hill in Lincoln Co WVa with a friend.

I became friends with a long-time nurse at Geauga Co Hosp (now UH Geauga) that had the trust of the locals, and was hired long-term by a Brit company for in depth genetic study of the population, mostly with kitchen table interviews, medical records, and family Bible back page notes. A common ancestor 5 or 6 generations removed is not uncommon there, even with purposeful introductions of 17 yr olds between Amish communities. Emergence of recessive traits, resilience of such traits in a gene pool, etc.

"I wish they all could be Mt Hope/Kidron Girls!", by the Beiler Boys ?

I recall in the early 80's, every now and then, one could see a girl in a bonnet enter a rte 87 gas station bathroom and come out a "Yankee girl" on a Friday eve if your equipment had a big fuel tank and you had a long enough wait. Mennonites, like my Swiss ancestors ? Today, how does an upper east side CLE guy tell a Russian DP chick's hairy pits from an Amish girl's in her "wild year" if the Russkie girl has no tats ?
Lol! Those Mt Hope/Kidron girls do have a reputation for beauty and grace!

I haven't seen the spelling of the surname "Beiler" but we do have "Byler"s.

The spellings of surnames is interesting. You can have one basic name but with 8 different spellings. Hochstetler and Schlabach are examples. Hostetler, Hostedler, Hochstedler, etc. Or Schlabaugh, Slabach, Slabaugh, Shlabach, Shlabaugh, etc.

There is an organization with an office between Berlin and Charm that does nothing but study genetic and chromosomal anomalies among the Amish. There is quite a bit of dwarfism, poor eyesight, and all kinds of recessive traits.

It used to really disturb me to see the Miller-Miller and Yoder-Yoder wedding announcements. You just don't see that in other places. It's not a closed gene pool, but as close to it as you will find in the US.

Lol! Those Mt Hope/Kidron girls do have a reputation for beauty and grace!

I haven't seen the spelling of the surname "Beiler" but we do have "Byler"s.

The spellings of surnames is interesting. You can have one basic name but with 8 different spellings. Hochstetler and Schlabach are examples. Hostetler, Hostedler, Hochstedler, etc. Or Schlabaugh, slabach, slabaugh, Shlabach, Sclabaugh, etc.

There is an organization with an office between Berlin and Charm that does nothing but study genetic and chromosomal anomalies among the Amish. There is quite a bit of dwarfism, poor eyesight, and all kinds of recessive traits.

It used to really disturb me to see the Miller-Miller and Yoder-Yoder wedding announcements. You just don't see that in other places. It's not a closed gene pool, but as close to it as you will find in the US.
And probably still better off, on the whole.