Remembering the Youngstown City Series

Looking at the picture of the 1977-78 Penguins the only thing I can fill in is where most of the guys on the team played HS ball. That and that I don't think there was a single player from Mahoning County on the team. The only "local" guys on the team were Joe Lombardi & Joe Votino from Sharon Kennedy, Steve Miodrag from Farrell, Don Thompson from Beaver Local and Joe Sekora from Newton Falls.
Well then, my bad. I had all of those guys you mentioned pegged as "locals" but for some reason I thought both Robin Vincer and Steve Taczak were Trumbull County guys, and that Mark Brown had played for a Youngstown school. But your knowledge shines through once again.

BTW, I am going to start a thread in the Football forum regarding the Youngstown City Series, featuring the yearly all-city teams as presented in the Vindicator, like I have done here with this topic. Would encourage and appreciate your participation (and all others) as I'm sure you can tell us where many of those players went on to play college ball.

Steve Tackzak also went to Sharon Kennedy with Joe Lombardi and Joe Votino.....Votino later coached Sharon Kennedy to an incredible 4 State Championships in Pennsylvania. ....Before he took over as the Head Coach at Kennedy, he was groomed for one year by the great Edward McCluskey from Farrell High School fame ---I was also incredibly lucky [as a player ]to be coached by Mr. McCluskey for 2 years..........Meanwhile, Joe Lombardi has been the Head Coach at Indiana University of Pennsylvania for several years and has established that program into one of the elite Division 2 programs in the country.
Phil Gaston of Girard's name was brought up in this thread a few days ago..........I can attest that he was an absolute BEAST !!!!
I had the pleasure to play with him in various independent leagues after college and it was a joy to watch him own the boards and see him score on everyone in the paint......One league we played in around 1980-81-82 was the old McGUFFEY CENTER LEAGUE ,which was run by a fantastic gentleman named "CHIC 'WELCHER ......It was ,by far, the best Mens Independant league going at the time........I know this was originally a Youngstown City Series thread , but let me tell you who some of the stars from that era and league were........Besides Gaston and myself , the late Bob Carlson ,who was ALL-CITY at WILSON and played for Dom Rosselli at YSU was a member of our team and I can tell you ,he was one of the smartest and fundamentally sound players that I ever played with . Ray Timlin , a sweet shooting guard from LIBERTY played with us and so did Bobby Krizancik , who was a terrific point guard ,but is even more famous for his 2 State Championships as the Head Coach at Girard and Mentor and his nearly 700 career wins!.....................Here are a bunch of guys that we had to battle with on a regular basis-----EX-YSU standouts Ronnie Smith.. Jeff Covington--Gerald Parks-Gary Anderson-Tony Mitchell-Bruce Alexander -Kevin Cherry-Frank Andrews-Mark Brown-......EX-NORTH HIGH greats JoJo McRae-Rich Bevly-Eric Posey-Amos and Anthony Haines-and J.C Williams.......my former teammates from RAYEN , Sam Jackson -Jessie Harris and Keith Carter ,were in the league,.....Other Youngstown City greats were Cedric Adams-Ronnie Denson -DaVell Collins-Arnold Davidson and Gary Jones.......the league had several players from Warren, like Mark Davis and Monty Davis[who was a first round pick of the Philadelphia 76ers }--Mark Reed and Lou Kelser..............Sharon Pa stud Bruce Harold [,who played at TEMPLE U. ] led the league in scoring,and other Sharon -Farrell guys were Chuckie Carthorne- Steve Martin -and Vernon Wright.......Craig Randall ,who played at Westminister was also in the league...........Great -great memories and I really appreciate this forum , so I can bring back these awesome times on your thread ,

tiger76, you and I share a mutual friend, who himself could fill it up back in the day. He moved halfway across the country this summer but we still keep in touch. 🙂

I am very curious who that person might be ? Truthfully , I dont have a clue as to who it is........... Maybe you can give a hint or two .

Cold Shoulder.....the only father-son [ coach/player] tandem that I can think of ,where I attended a funeral would have been Dave and Mark.................
I don't think it was the Bob Sr.--Bob Jr. duo ?
By the way, I read a thread of yours where you mentioned the Moy kid from Badger and that he was going to California University of Pennsylvania . Do you know the other area hoopster that played there from 1976-80[ back then it was known as California State College } ??

Cold Shoulder.....the only father-son [ coach/player] tandem that I can think of ,where I attended a funeral would have been Dave and Mark.................
I don't think it was the Bob Sr.--Bob Jr. duo ?
By the way, I read a thread of yours where you mentioned the Moy kid from Badger and that he was going to California University of Pennsylvania . Do you know the other area hoopster that played there from 1976-80[ back then it was known as California State College } ??

Would his initials be S. J.?

You are correct , sir ! He was a real good one ! I wonder what ever happened to him ?? LOL
Hey was I correct about the Dave \Mark tandem ? I remember the funeral was in Cortland .
Am I right ?

tiger76, I've learned that YTOWN is always correct, and he's proved it once again.

And ya, I also know about that Youngstown guy who played at California State/Pennsylvania...he hooped it up with the best of them, and had the great fortune of playing for one of the all-time great coaches...but his memory isn't quite as good as his basketball skills once were ;).

Now, about our mutual friend...I gave you his initials. He's a few years older than you. Went to a college in Virginia for a year or two. 🧐

oh my GOSH !!!!! You are right ! My mind is slipping !! You are talking about the DOCTOR from ROANOKE , VIRGINIA { Bobby }........LOL ....When you flashed the BB initials , I thought you meant BB for basketball.....as in played basketball for his father ! still trying to figure out who you are??
Could you be C.F. ??

Well he did play basketball in high school for his father. :rolleyes:

As for me, no I'm not C.F. (Chuck ?...I know him, too).

Spent most of my life in Liberty, but have been a resident of Girard the past 20 years.

You don't remember commenting on my signature in the funeral guest book 🤷‍♂️ ??

oh my GOSH !!!!! You are right ! My mind is slipping !! You are talking about the DOCTOR from ROANOKE , VIRGINIA { Bobby }........LOL ....When you flashed the BB initials , I thought you meant BB for basketball.....as in played basketball for his father ! still trying to figure out who you are??
Could you be C.F. ??
tiger76, I sent you a PM...check your messages. :D