Remembering the Youngstown City Series

Qcity

North
East
South
Rayen
Chaney
Wilson

There was some pretty good basketball played back in the day in this conference. Rayen had some stellar years with some big time players; South was always a force; North had their share of talent as well.

Struthersfan

North
East
South
Rayen
Chaney
Wilson

There was some pretty good basketball played back in the day in this conference. Rayen had some stellar years with some big time players; South was always a force; North had their share of talent as well.
The City Series used to be real good.
Not to show my age, but I remember tournament tripleheaders at the old South High Fieldhouse. Great games, fantastic school support back in the day. (Unlike today)
Those Rayen teams in the mid-80's were awesome.

Joe James and all of the other greats from Rayen. What a fun place to see a game in those days. I also remember Wilson having some good players.

The 1978-79 Rayen team featured Joe James (signed with Michigan before transferring to Eastern Michigan) and Greg Jones (who played 4 years at West Virginia and is still No. 6 all-time in scoring, No. 8 all-time in assists and No. 2 all-time in steals).

coldshoulder

I'm sure YTOWN could provide lots of great insight, and some great names from the past.

I recall Youngstown North in the early 70's was a basketball powerhouse, with guys that mostly went on to have success in college and the pro's, but in football:
Richard Bevly: Ohio University QB
Tom Hight: YSU football
Sherman Smith: Miami, Ohio QB + Seahawks NFL (RB)
Mike Cobb: Michigan State + Bears NFL (TE)

Certainly lots of great players from all the city schools listed.

wghfan

I loved watching those Rayen teams of the late 70's with Joe James, and Greg Jones. I also believe Terry Taylor was on those teams. He ended being a all pro DB for the Seattle Seahawks.

Stepien and Traficant were bound and determined to put that team in the Fieldhouse so they could sell beer. Traficant strongarmed the city into agreeing to the beer sales like he did Niles on the utilities when the Scrappers came into existence. Neither he nor Stepien could understand why the suburbanites wouldn't come downtown to a building that was surrounded by multiple crack houses.

Qcity

I loved watching those Rayen teams of the late 70's with Joe James, and Greg Jones. I also believe Terry Taylor was on those teams. He ended being a all pro DB for the Seattle Seahawks.

Dave Mason was in the middle, he could jump out of the gym along with Jones and James ........heckuva team.

North had Eric Posey and Haines I believe. South had the Parker brothers among many good players. East had McCrae and Dyson etc...