Region 17 Final: South Range vs. Perry

Who wins Region 17

• South Range

Votes: 59 83.1%
  • Perry

Votes: 12 16.9%

• Total voters
For South Range this trip would be closer than 3 trips they made this year. University, CCC, Jefferson would have all been further. They are used to it and will be fine. Raiders and Jefferson keep representing NE8 this weekend

Alright, I watched a lot of the Perry-Garaway game.

So, for SR fans, it seems that Perry's offense is nicely balanced. Their runninng back #1 is a solid RB. The rotate QBs. #10 (Moses) is their passing/run the offense QB. #12 is their wildcat speed demon, but he will throw the ball. They also get #12 the ball in other ways. They have some nice skill players on the outside, too. Garaway, IMO, mostly won the LoS. But, Garaway is really good up front. We'll see if SR can match that.

The defense was a little weird. The rotated NTs (one really small, fast kid, one big traditional kid) depending on passing/running situation and played DEs really hard outside -- like a pure 9. They were solid up front and the secondary was solid in coverage. Even the completions were generally around people -- they didn't bust. And, ultimately they had 4 interceptions in the 2nd half.

It was a really odd game. Not sure who win if they played again. But Perry won the game that mattered. I'll also note that Perry was up 7-0 on Kirtland and driving to go up 14-0 when they fumbled. Kirtland righted the ship and then sort of blasted them in the 2nd half, but Perry is very good.

So, I think SR is considerably more balanced on offense than Garaway or even Kirtland. They'll force Perry's secondary to cover and I think SR is good enough on the ground that Perry just can't play pass first (like they did to Garaway). I do think Perry does some nice things on offense. SR's front 7 has contolled the LoS in every game and if they can do that then Perry will struggle a bit. But they're still balanced enough to move the ball.

I'd still say SR wins, but I think it's a close game. One score either way.

Back in August, I hoped this game would come to fruition, and sure enough, it has. Perry has a young squad this season, but coach Gecewich is getting every ounce out of his players. Even in the pregame show of the Perry-Garaway game, he admitted to his team not having a very good week of practice. He does not sugarcoat things, but is so authentic and his players buy in. They still won. Fun fact is that Gecewich is a former Marion Local assistant. Before coming to Perry, he was head coach at Dublin Jerome.

That said, I have seen both teams play; Perry in 2021 & 22 and South Range in 2020 & 21. I think for both teams, it will be like looking in the mirror. Though as @iam416 said, South Range is more balanced as an offense. I would expect a close game, but give the Raiders an edge on making the Elite 8 the two years prior before being stymied by my Hornets and having more experience on the stage than the Pirates.

All things considered, I expect an exciting game with plays to be made all over. I will be watching on Friday night, and best of luck to both sides.

So, for SR fans, it seems that Perry's offense is nicely balanced. Their runninng back #1 is a solid RB. The rotate QBs. #10 (Moses) is their passing/run the offense QB. #12 is their wildcat speed demon, but he will throw the ball. They also get #12 the ball in other ways. They have some nice skill players on the outside, too. Garaway, IMO, mostly won the LoS. But, Garaway is really good up front. We'll see if SR can match that.

The defense was a little weird. The rotated NTs (one really small, fast kid, one big traditional kid) depending on passing/running situation and played DEs really hard outside -- like a pure 9. They were solid up front and the secondary was solid in coverage. Even the completions were generally around people -- they didn't bust. And, ultimately they had 4 interceptions in the 2nd half.

It was a really odd game. Not sure who win if they played again. But Perry won the game that mattered. I'll also note that Perry was up 7-0 on Kirtland and driving to go up 14-0 when they fumbled. Kirtland righted the ship and then sort of blasted them in the 2nd half, but Perry is very good.

So, I think SR is considerably more balanced on offense than Garaway or even Kirtland. They'll force Perry's secondary to cover and I think SR is good enough on the ground that Perry just can't play pass first (like they did to Garaway). I do think Perry does some nice things on offense. SR's front 7 has contolled the LoS in every game and if they can do that then Perry will struggle a bit. But they're still balanced enough to move the ball.

Agreed, This game will be a battle between two very good teams. Fewest mistakes/turnovers should win. I like our Raiders in this one.

I will be watching on Friday night, and best of luck to both sides.

Speaking of watching the game, I see that the game will be streaming on OHSAA.tv. Does anybody know if you have to pay to watch those? I can only find information about paying for the state finals, but not the regional playoff games.

Speaking of watching the game, I see that the game will be streaming on OHSAA.tv. Does anybody know if you have to pay to watch those? I can only find information about paying for the state finals, but not the regional playoff games.
$9.99, I believe

Yup! $10 ticket. Well worth it in my opinion. They livestream the halftime show too.

Nice scouting report iam416. As is often the case in big games like this, turnovers and field position will be pivotal in who will win a game like this. Hopefully, the Raiders can control the line of scrimmage and

As far as I know.

Gregg B...ysnlive.com has been streaming all season so I figured it would tonight. However, I just checked the site and don't see any games listed for today.
YSN won't have a video stream due to ohsaa's deal with spectrum, they will have an audio feed.

YSN won't have a video stream due to ohsaa's deal with spectrum, they will have an audio feed.
Exactly what I want to do, listen to the guys on YSN broadcast a game! Good God. :)

Good luck to both teams.

GO RAIDERS!

Last edited:
End of 1.

Perry 2 three and outs and an interception. Probably -10 yards.

SR turned ball over on downs at Perry 25 then 45 and then scored.

Perry 3rd and 6 to start 2nd

Perry finally got a run from #12, but they fumble at SR 16. SR then has 60-yd TD run called back, but still go 84 yards.

21-0. 4:15 left in half