Recreational Golf - 2023

Played my first round yesterday and shot pretty well, but admittedly used a few mulligans off the tee since we played early and nobody else was on the course at the time. I bought a used gap wedge over the winter to match my set, and on hole whole I chipped in for a birdie! My $64 investment has already paid dividends, lol.

I honestly could play golf with about 4 clubs. Driver, 4, 8, and putter.
That's pretty much how some sets are sold now. I looked at Calloway a few days ago and saw four different choices - each bump up adding to the $$/bag.

Needless to say, I haven't window shopped lately.

Hmmm... Thinking way back, starter sets were like that, I believe. 1 and 3 woods, putter and 3-5-7-9 irons. Maybe, a wedge.

Last edited:
That's pretty much how some sets are sold now. I looked at Calloway a few days ago and saw four different choices - each bump up adding to the $$/bag.

Hmmm... Thinking way back, starter sets were like that, I believe. 1 and 3 woods, putter and 3-5-7-9 irons. Maybe, a wedge.
Yup, that's what was in the set I learned to play with. No wedge. It was my mom's set from back when she failed to learn how to play. Poor lady doesn't have an athletic bone in her body.

My dad's set had 1-3-4 woods and then 2-PW, IIRC. He was a foot taller than my mom, so it was awhile until I grew enough to use those clubs.

Last set I owned was assembled by my uncle who took a class on how to make clubs. Not much to it, really. You just get a catalag and pick out the components you want (heads, shafts, grips), order them, pick them up or have them shipped, and assemble them. Many components were name brand knock-offs. Instead of King Cobras, I had Crown Vipers. I still have them but haven't hit a golf ball in nearly 10 years.

It probably is more telling of my game, but does anyone use all of their clubs in a round? I feel you have a club your comfortable to drive the ball with for par 4's and 5's. Maybe a fairway wood, 2-3 comfortable irons and that's about it. I chip and run most of the time with my 8 iron and just add or subtract.

Let's not forget, the 9 irons we were playing in our youth are the wedges of today with all of loft jacking (and so on down through the bag).

It probably is more telling of my game, but does anyone use all of their clubs in a round? I feel you have a club your comfortable to drive the ball with for par 4's and 5's. Maybe a fairway wood, 2-3 comfortable irons and that's about it. I chip and run most of the time with my 8 iron and just add or subtract.
It depends on the course. I have places where if I'm playing well, I only use driver, 3 wood and 5 hybrid, plus 8 and 9 iron and a wedge or two (prior to my new set of clubs, I only hit 3 wood off the tee). There's a Par 4 on my new home course where 4 iron off the tee is my play, but otherwise, that's not a club I use a lot. I have a 58 degree wedge in the bag, but I still haven't figured that club out yet. I tend to pop it up too much, so I stick to the 54 degree or PW.

It depends on the course. I have places where if I'm playing well, I only use driver, 3 wood and 5 hybrid, plus 8 and 9 iron and a wedge or two (prior to my new set of clubs, I only hit 3 wood off the tee). There's a Par 4 on my new home course where 4 iron off the tee is my play, but otherwise, that's not a club I use a lot. I have a 58 degree wedge in the bag, but I still haven't figured that club out yet. I tend to pop it up too much, so I stick to the 54 degree or PW.
Absolutely, ideally, the thought is you swing the same way every time and the different lofts on the club makes the ball go the distance you "anticipate". This is the fallacy of all this with us hackers. We will sometimes get all the ball, but many times mishit the ball so the loft/ club selection is irrelevant.

Absolutely, ideally, the thought is you swing the same way every time and the different lofts on the club makes the ball go the distance you "anticipate". This is the fallacy of all this with us hackers. We will sometimes get all the ball, but many times mishit the ball so the loft/ club selection is irrelevant.
Oh, absolutely. Every shot I take is perfect in my head, down to the correct club. Then I actually swing and reality takes over ;)

If I am playing my "home" course then typically not. Especially as the season goes along and I have my distances dialed in better. Unless I play from different tees or get into trouble. When I go to different courses then I tend to play more of my bag as I am not as familiar with those courses or the layout requires a different strategy on certain holes. But there are certainly some clubs that don't get the same usage as others.

No, but those other clubs come in handy when the round has gone off the rails and it's time to try playing a hole differently than normal.

Even in disc golf which I play frequently, I don't use all the discs in my bag on most rounds, but every once in awhile, I need a disc for that "tomahawk" throw to go over top of a tree in front of me, or I need a disc that is designed to roll when caught in some undergrowth.

I trust my club selection more than my ability to adjust a club's yardage up or down - though I occasionally do that.

That said, there are times when I don't use a club or two during a round. I have a feeling you have graduated from hacker to duffer, yes? :)

Last edited:
I'm loving this weather! It looks like a 5 day golf week. Next Monday and Tuesday look like crap, though.
This time of year, once or twice a week is the norm, so anything above that is gravy. So what's everyone's threshold of weather for golf? I know some are out if it's not raining and above 40, others wait until it's 60 above and sunny.

This time of year, once or twice a week is the norm, so anything above that is gravy. So what's everyone's threshold of weather for golf? I know some are out if it's not raining and above 40, others wait until it's 60 above and sunny.

I golfed a couple times in February where it was in the mid-40s, but clear and not raining. It wasn't so bad. Anything above 50 works for me.

I golfed a couple times in February where it was in the mid-40s, but clear and not raining. It wasn't so bad. Anything above 50 works for me.
I use 50 degrees as my cut off point, if sunny 40s are ok but my bones are old and cold weather makes for a much longer warm up period.

As for rain I caddied at a country club for years and for many key events played through rain. Here are some tips I learned over the years:

• I bite the bullet and pay for a true water proof top and pants, I like both to also have some stretch. Water resistant works only for a short amount of time and if raining hard you will get wet after a hole or two and wet heavy clothing affects your swing.
  • Even if you have great rain gear still use an umbrella. Not only does it help keep you dry but you can also store gloves, towels, and gear under it to help keep them dry too.
  • I carry at least 4 towels in my bag for rain, 2 hand sized towels that I use to wipe grips and clean the ball, bag towel is still used to clean club heads. I also carry 2 wash rag sized towels that I use for my hands and general use.
  • I never throw away a used glove, when raining I go through a glove every couple holes or so, dry hands & grips are one of the most important things about playing in the rain.
  • Know the rules! Most events allow lift, clean, and place when in the fairway during significant rain; even if the ball looks ok still pick it up and dry it off and give your self a decent lie. Tough luck if in the rough, you need to still play it as it lies.
  • Finally change your game to match the conditions. A pro use to remind members of the slogan in the rain, "thin it to win it". Fat shots are death in the rain as the club will just dig into the wet grass and the ball will not advance very far. Also make sure to add the appropriate yardage to your club selection pending on how much rain the course has seen. I also avoid my high loft wedges, around the green I am mostly about chipping in the rain and will use a mid loft club to keep it low.

I use 50 degrees as my cut off point, if sunny 40s are ok but my bones are old and cold weather makes for a much longer warm up period.

As for rain I caddied at a country club for years and for many key events played through rain. Here are some tips I learned over the years:

• I bite the bullet and pay for a true water proof top and pants, I like both to also have some stretch. Water resistant works only for a short amount of time and if raining hard you will get wet after a hole or two and wet heavy clothing affects your swing.
  • Even if you have great rain gear still use an umbrella. Not only does it help keep you dry but you can also store gloves, towels, and gear under it to help keep them dry too.
  • I carry at least 4 towels in my bag for rain, 2 hand sized towels that I use to wipe grips and clean the ball, bag towel is still used to clean club heads. I also carry 2 wash rag sized towels that I use for my hands and general use.
  • I never throw away a used glove, when raining I go through a glove every couple holes or so, dry hands & grips are one of the most important things about playing in the rain.
  • Know the rules! Most events allow lift, clean, and place when in the fairway during significant rain; even if the ball looks ok still pick it up and dry it off and give your self a decent lie. Tough luck if in the rough, you need to still play it as it lies.
  • Finally change your game to match the conditions. A pro use to remind members of the slogan in the rain, "thin it to win it". Fat shots are death in the rain as the club will just dig into the wet grass and the ball will not advance very far. Also make sure to add the appropriate yardage to your club selection pending on how much rain the course has seen. I also avoid my high loft wedges, around the green I am mostly about chipping in the rain and will use a mid loft club to keep it low.
Great tips, but for the most part, if the weather is inclement, I'm not playing. And you are right on the weather. If it's not windy, the sun is out and it's 40 degrees, not bad. If it's 55 cloudy and wind blowing it can be chilly.

I play all year around. In the off-chance it's below 40, I can be convinced. 🍻 No thunderstorm play, though!

Played 16 holes on Sunday. The perks of playing at a place where I've paid for unlimited play.

I went out earlier than usual on Sunday, since there was the forecast of a lot of heavy rain around when I would normally play (3pm or so). My usual playing partner wasn't available, so I just went out on my own. Since there were some groups teeing off on the front, I asked the owner if I could just sneak out on the back 9, she said there was a league making the turn soon, but if I went out quick, I was good.

As I'm finishing 17, I see my golfing buddy - he's heading to the #2 tee, so I ended up joining him and the guy he was playing with and played 2-9, skipping 18.

Played 16 holes on Sunday. The perks of playing at a place where I've paid for unlimited play.

I went out earlier than usual on Sunday, since there was the forecast of a lot of heavy rain around when I would normally play (3pm or so). My usual playing partner wasn't available, so I just went out on my own. Since there were some groups teeing off on the front, I asked the owner if I could just sneak out on the back 9, she said there was a league making the turn soon, but if I went out quick, I was good.

As I'm finishing 17, I see my golfing buddy - he's heading to the #2 tee, so I ended up joining him and the guy he was playing with and played 2-9, skipping 18.
A Sunday league ? 18 holes to boot ? Both seem rather unusual...maybe it was an opening-day type special event ?

The PGA Championship is the weekend, probably the least significant of the four majors but still a major. Being played on a classic Donald Ross course, Oak Hill Country Club, that was completely redesigned in 2019. Like many 21st century re-dos they took out quite a few trees to let the course breath but to me the big new trend in course re-design are the green complexes. If the ground game is your thing then Oak Hills will not be the course for you. Gone are traditional saucers with a slight tilt from back to front, in are geometrically unique greens that are basically raised tables that have a variety of breaks and steep bunkers defining the shape. I have played on a course that updated a couple greens in this manner and it really places an emphasis on being able to get some height on your ball so it lands softy and stays put. If it rolled off the up and downs are brutal.

1684263442456.png

1684263668509.png