Recreational Golf 2020

Lorain County Health is allowing driving ranges now, albeit every other stall. Not sure what other counties have done.

Also heard the State may allow on course beer sales. I think some courses have been violating that already. Not sure if this is official now. Still more fun to sneak your own beer, though :)

Beer car rolling at least one local course for first time this year, so I am guessing the rule change was official.

We teed off at noon yesterday and there was a pretty good crowd, both before us and after us. It was a beautiful day for golf! The course was a bit wet in places, but I was happy to be playing. I intend on going out tomorrow, around noon, after it warms up a bit.

On a side note, "The League", a group of gentlemen that tee off every Sunday at 9:00, was out. Yes, the group the seems to think jeans, sleeveless t-shirts, sandals, and flip flops are en vogue. As we stood on the first tee box, they were coming down 9. Yes, three hours for nine holes. They also smoke marijuana and drink moonshine, along with Lynryd Skynyrd blaring out of a cart. No, this is not a typo. I hesitate to guess the average IQ of this group. In the day of failing golf courses, the steady income is hard to turn down.

We teed off at noon yesterday and there was a pretty good crowd, both before us and after us. It was a beautiful day for golf! The course was a bit wet in places, but I was happy to be playing. I intend on going out tomorrow, around noon, after it warms up a bit.

On a side note, "The League", a group of gentlemen that tee off every Sunday at 9:00, was out. Yes, the group the seems to think jeans, sleeveless t-shirts, sandals, and flip flops are en vogue. As we stood on the first tee box, they were coming down 9. Yes, three hours for nine holes. They also smoke marijuana and drink moonshine, along with Lynryd Skynyrd blaring out of a cart. No, this is not a typo. I hesitate to guess the average IQ of this group. In the day of failing golf courses, the steady income is hard to turn down.

This at Sleepy?

Drove past Valleywood outside Swanton yesterday. Saw several foursomes standing together on the tees waiting for the group in front of them :mad:...going to ruin it for the rest of you if they're not careful.

A current trend that I cannot stand on golf courses is music blaring from a golf cart. I gave a group a hard time a years back and all I got in return was the potential for escalation with some dangerous weapons within reach so I wimped out and backed down. Never will play a course again that looks the other way when it comes to music from a cart.

A current trend that I cannot stand on golf courses is music blaring from a golf cart. I gave a group a hard time a years back and all I got in return was the potential for escalation with some dangerous weapons within reach so I wimped out and backed down. Never will play a course again that looks the other way when it comes to music from a cart.

Amen. If you do it, make it only loud enough for you and/or your group and ASK FIRST. Don't assume I share your taste in music or even want music. The other hillbilly move is leaving your sunflower seed shells on the green.

Finally got in my first nine holes of the year today. Sunny Hill in Brimfield. You call ahead and pay and set your time. They print out your receipt and leave it on a board outside of the clubhouse. You retrieve it, show it to the starter and you are on your way. Played as a single and had my part of the course largely to myself. First time I had walked in a while. Forgot how much I enjoy the stroll.

Finally got in my first nine holes of the year today. Sunny Hill in Brimfield. You call ahead and pay and set your time. They print out your receipt and leave it on a board outside of the clubhouse. You retrieve it, show it to the starter and you are on your way. Played as a single and had my part of the course largely to myself. First time I had walked in a while. Forgot how much I enjoy the stroll.
Gives plenty of time to decide how to drop that white pill right on the pin!

I really do think it is how the game is meant to be played. I realize it isn't possible for some but more people ought to do it. I'd walk more in my league if anyone else did.
Agree. When dad and I played regularly, we would walk (with our pull carts) in the spring and fall. Summer heat and humidity - not so much.

I refuse to take a cart for 9 holes and in fact hump my own bag too, I also try to do this for 18 when possible except many newer courses have too much spacing between holes so you almost need to take a cart. I guess it is the former caddy in me that allows my 56 year old bones to do this and still score well.

I refuse to take a cart for 9 holes and in fact hump my own bag too, I also try to do this for 18 when possible except many newer courses have too much spacing between holes so you almost need to take a cart. I guess it is the former caddy in me that allows my 56 year old bones to do this and still score well.

That's great Auggie. I find it is just as easy to carry as it is to push/pull a cart. I have a fairly light bag with a double strap so it feels light it weights nothing.

We got out yesterday afternoon. It was a little breezy, but the course had dried up and there was finally some roll. There was a crew several holes ahead of us and some singles out, but otherwise, we were never held up, nor pushed. Two of us teed off at 12:30 and walked off the course at 3:15.

As far as my game, I am still struggling with my short game. There's absolutely NO touch on my wedge.

I also prefer to walk, but that is easy with the courses around Avon. I'll grab a cart on hilly courses, or courses where you have to walk a 5k to get between some holes. Around Avon, Red Tail has some walks, but Avon Oaks, Lakewood, Sweetbriar, Bob O' Link, Hilliard Lakes are all quite walkable.

I'm generally just not a fan of courses completely intertwined with homes (those are the ones with long walks many times). I really do not want to plunk a house, and I don't have the game to prevent that sometimes.

I also prefer to walk, but that is easy with the courses around Avon. I'll grab a cart on hilly courses, or courses where you have to walk a 5k to get between some holes. Around Avon, Red Tail has some walks, but Avon Oaks, Lakewood, Sweetbriar, Bob O' Link, Hilliard Lakes are all quite walkable.

I'm generally just not a fan of courses completely intertwined with homes (those are the ones with long walks many times). I really do not want to plunk a house, and I don't have the game to prevent that sometimes.

Speaking of plunking homes, have you ever played Little Mountain or Shale Creek?

My favorite memory of Shale Creek, Myron plunking the home of an older lady from #1 tee box. It brought her and her neighbors out. Hilarious. Male 11's also plunked a home or two at Shale, on the back. I think it was #13.

It seems like some developers design the housing allotment then figure out how to run a golf course through it, rather than the other way around. Roses Run in Stow is a perfect example.

It seems like some developers design the housing allotment then figure out how to run a golf course through it, rather than the other way around. Roses Run in Stow is a perfect example.

Roses Run's first 11 holes are ok, but after that, the place turns to sh**.

12 is total crap, then until you hit 18, it looks like someone on meth designed them.

36 each day? That's serious golf! What courses are you playing?
Fairfield, The Mill, on Thursday The Oaks on Friday, Pebble Creek on Saturday, we had plans to go to Cumberland lake to golf down there . Staying home playing local in Cincinnati instead

The run is over had fun lots of Gatorade vodka drank , deviation from original plans still lots of golf and fun time , score my personal best Friday and hit some shots that was outstanding