Ravenna HC

This is a pretty good job. I would think it will garner some solid interest. Is there anyone on staff who takes over?

It's not that good anymore.
Agree, not what it was, just as Kent isn't but still a good job in the area with nice facilities and a decent pool of kids. They went 7-3 this past year.

Pretty crazy how quickly Kent and Ravenna have fallen for a variety of reasons.

As someone who has seen this team play over the years, I'm sorry, but this is probably one of the most outlandish takes I've heard.

Outside of the 2020 pandemic year, the last time Ravenna finished under .500 was 2013. They've had a couple of 8-2 seasons (2018, 2019), finishing 9th and 10th by mere fractions of points back when just the top 8 qualified. They've had talent coming through the school over the years, along with pretty solid coaching.

And Region 9 is one of the toughest regions in the state of Ohio. And even last year, they finished 7-4, going on a five-game winning streak to end the regular season. Don't know where this "diminishing support" rumor is coming from.

Are they for sure gonna drop to D4? If Region 9 is difficult, Region 13 won't be any easier.

If Lunardi had retired form the football coaching job sooner than he did, I think the next coach would have been the person who is the new middle school principal at Crestwood. He was an assistant at Ravenna for a while and I had heard there was some interest in him becoming the next coach. He would have been a great hire for Ravenna. As it stands now, it would be interesting to see who could take this job over and do as good of a job as Jim did. He had a great deal of success at Ravenna. Division 3 Region 9 is tough for sure.

As someone who has seen this team play over the years, I'm sorry, but this is probably one of the most outlandish takes I've heard.

Outside of the 2020 pandemic year, the last time Ravenna finished under .500 was 2013. They've had a couple of 8-2 seasons (2018, 2019), finishing 9th and 10th by mere fractions of points back when just the top 8 qualified. They've had talent coming through the school over the years, along with pretty solid coaching.

And Region 9 is one of the toughest regions in the state of Ohio. And even last year, they finished 7-4, going on a five-game winning streak to end the regular season. Don't know where this "diminishing support" rumor is coming from.

Are they for sure gonna drop to D4? If Region 9 is difficult, Region 13 won't be any easier.
Their new base count is 206

that is right in the heart of D4. Unless they have an influx of open enrollment or transfers to boost their CB number they will be D4

Rumored Finalists For This Job:

Tim Budd-Former Jackson HC
Dan LaRocco-Former Westlake HC
Joe Callihan-Ravenna Assistant Coach

LaRocco would be the last choice here. Had someone I know interview at Westlake and others who worked with or coached against him. Interesting fellow but not sure he would be a good fit there. But again, I can only speak on what I have heard.

I would say Budd has to be the best choice based on track record. He has turned around 2 programs in his two HC coaching stops. Not that Ravenna needs a huge turn around, but he could push them a little farther.

I do not know the Ravenna Assistant

I would think they would want to get this settled rather quickly as we are heading into the end of the school year.

LaRocco would be the last choice here. Had someone I know interview at Westlake and others who worked with or coached against him. Interesting fellow but not sure he would be a good fit there. But again, I can only speak on what I have heard.

I would say Budd has to be the best choice based on track record. He has turned around 2 programs in his two HC coaching stops. Not that Ravenna needs a huge turn around, but he could push them a little farther.

I do not know the Ravenna Assistant

I would think they would want to get this settled rather quickly as we are heading into the end of the school year.
Wonder if the Ravenna assistant is in the school. Could help his cause. Where does Budd teach?

Callihan is a teacher at the high school (in his second year). He's from Mogadore and was an athlete at John Carrol (per his LinkedIn Profile).

Agree, not what it was, just as Kent isn't but still a good job in the area with nice facilities and a decent pool of kids. They went 7-3 this past year.

Pretty crazy how quickly Kent and Ravenna have fallen for a variety of reasons.
It's not hard to figure out for Kent. Kent administration pushed out HOF coach John Nemic because he didn't play the political game and didn't play favorites. Coach Nemic spent time in the homes of the families who were struggling and needed athletics and a father figure for their sons and daughters. He helped kids get jobs to to pay for food for their families. I even heard him say one time in a meeting when he was criticized for playing a starter who missed practice all week, " he was working all week to put food on the table" so he will start on Friday night. He fed his players pizza after each game saying "it may be the only meal they get all weekend". But Kent parents & administration who were upset that their little Johnny couldn't get on the field, ran him out so they could get someone they could control. Kent had been in the 1st & 2nd round of the playoffs and have multiple D1 players earning scholarships. Kent is on their 3rd coach since running off coach Nemic. Coach Nemic ended up at Akron and then at Stow where many of his current players are now coaching.

Reason 2. Facilities were in decline. Grass fields, outdated locker rooms and weight facilities. This is finally being corrected with the new turf field and weight rooms along with new Gym currently being built.

reason 3. Youth program. No support or cohesiveness with HS coaches. That too has changed with former RHS alumni taking over program

I could go on but why digress?

It's not hard to figure out for Kent. Kent administration pushed out HOF coach John Nemic because he didn't play the political game and didn't play favorites. Coach Nemic spent time in the homes of the families who were struggling and needed athletics and a father figure for their sons and daughters. He helped kids get jobs to to pay for food for their families. I even heard him say one time in a meeting when he was criticized for playing a starter who missed practice all week, " he was working all week to put food on the table" so he will start on Friday night. He fed his players pizza after each game saying "it may be the only meal they get all weekend". But Kent parents & administration who were upset that their little Johnny couldn't get on the field, ran him out so they could get someone they could control. Kent had been in the 1st & 2nd round of the playoffs and have multiple D1 players earning scholarships. Kent is on their 3rd coach since running off coach Nemic. Coach Nemic ended up at Akron and then at Stow where many of his current players are now coaching.

Reason 2. Facilities were in decline. Grass fields, outdated locker rooms and weight facilities. This is finally being corrected with the new turf field and weight rooms along with new Gym currently being built.

reason 3. Youth program. No support or cohesiveness with HS coaches. That too has changed with former RHS alumni taking over program

I could go on but why digress?
I'm aware of all of those things. Very frustrating to watch it happen to a place and locker room that was such a special and important place for many people in the community for a very long time.

Joe Calihan? Any idea who he is?
he played at mogadore . he played guard for john carroll. he was the starter the last time they beat mount union in mt, union for the league title.his uncles where longtime football coaches at mogadore. im sure he will do a good job. helll probably be involved with the youth program

he played at mogadore . he played guard for john carroll. he was the starter the last time they beat mount union in mt, union for the league title.his uncles where longtime football coaches at mogadore. im sure he will do a good job. helll probably be involved with the youth program
Wing T offense coming to Revenna