Programs That Need A Change

I’ve always dreamed of Sidney and Greenville to the Western Buckeye League and make that league a north/south split by adding Napoleon and Lima Senior to the north. If only, if only.
I feel so bad for Sidney being in the South, not only due to geography but the crap teams on their side.

Greenville faithful. What is your take on the current state of the program? 5 wins in 4 years, 12 game losing streak headed into 2024. Where does the program go?

Upon graduating from Massillon in 07, I wasn't on the football team but was a fan of the sport. Piqua won division 2 that previous fall in 06. They had a great ball club! Will they get back to that, or do you think the current MVL is setting them and troy up for failure
That was a special team led by Brandon Saine. Mr. Ohio and future Buckeye starter. He was really good. Troy and Piqua have a rich football history but have been up and down for the better part of the last few decades. They are the the type of schools that rely a lot on special classes and special players. When they have them they’re good, when not they’re bad lol. Goes without saying. I don’t think the MVL is necessarily setting them up for failure but it isn’t helping. They need to play better teams and get more prepared for the post season. They can easily win between 8-10 games every year in this league and then get bounced early by a better more tested team. I’d like to see them play teams such as Wayne, Centerville, Fairmont, Springfield, etc. they may have a worse record but it will help them in the long run. Just my opinion

1. I think Cleveland Glenville should become independent and leave the Senate League. They are way too good for that league and playing the other teams doesn't help them. Recruiting, vouchers, etc. aside, Glenville would be better served playing other programs of equal caliber on a regular basis and not just in out of conference.
  2. Toledo Public Schools need to consolidate some of their schools. I would say Woodward and Scott should merge and maybe Waite too.
  3. The Toledo City League, Cleveland Senate League, and Akron City Series should schedule more games in tandem. All 3 leagues are pretty weak (with the exception of Glenville). It makes sense to have them play each other more.
  4. OHSAA should create Division 8 for 8 Man football. In NW Ohio, there are already 6 teams: Stryker, Holgate, Toledo Christian, Sandusky St. Mary's CC, Fremont St. Joseph's CC, and Danbury Lakeside. Vanlue should definitely drop to 8 man. Oregon Cardinal Stritch, Tiffin Calvert and a handful of others should consider it as well.
I’ve always dreamed of Sidney and Greenville to the Western Buckeye League and make that league a north/south split by adding Napoleon and Lima Senior to the north. If only, if only.

I'd rather see Bryan than Lima Senior. But that's just my personal preference lol.

Also what would the split be? VW in the South and all the Lima schools in the North?

While I don't necessarily think they need a change, I am intrigued as to what is going on at Ottawa Glandorf after back to back 1-9 seasons.
8 games in the last 2 years have been decided by either 9, 8, 7, 4, or 3 points. (Insert horse shoes and hand grenades here) So I don’t think any major change are warranted, maybe some luck.

Also, 2022 was 2-8 for OG

8 games in the last 2 years have been decided by either 9, 8, 7, 4, or 3 points. (Insert horse shoes and hand grenades here) So I don’t think any major change are warranted, maybe some luck.
I guess, but they've lost to some teams that traditionally they should beat. In 2022 they lost to a 4-6 Elida team and a 4-6 Shawnee team. And I'll correct myself, they finished 2-8.
This year they lost to a 3-7 Kenton team and it wasn't close. They were blown out by 5-5 Elida and lost to 4-6 Bath. A lot of their games weren't even close. Their only win was a 1 point victory over 0-10 Shawnee. I'm not buying the tough schedule argument either as their best teams on the schedule were 7-3 Eastwood, 8-2 Wapak and 8-2 Celina.

As Seneca, the renowned Stoic philosopher, once said, "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

Last edited:
I guess, but they've lost to some teams that traditionally they should beat. In 2022 they lost to a 4-6 Elida team and a 4-6 Shawnee team. And I'll correct myself, they finished 2-8.
This year they lost to a 3-7 Kenton team and it wasn't close. They were blown out by 5-5 Elida and lost to 4-6 Bath. A lot of their games weren't even close. Their only win was a 1 point victory over 0-10 Shawnee. I'm not buying the tough schedule argument either as their best teams on the schedule were 7-3 Eastwood, 8-2 Wapak and 8-2 Celina.

As Seneca, the renowned Stoic philosopher, once said, "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."
Maybe it was their card that was pulled to have some down years after several successful years.

I didnt realize Calvert's team was that large. Good for them. In general, many of the very small Catholic high schools are struggling with football numbers. I'm glad they are bucking that trend.
St. Paul usually has that many, sometimes 50+. Also, Flyer Marching Band is good sized, especially compared to St. Joe, St. Mary, and Calvert

Except Anna right?
There's some regret, still to this day, within the MAC to not require Anna to join fully. Originally for covering the New Knoxville hole to keep the conference at 10 teams in all sports.
Anna is still kinda seen as the red-headed stepchild to many.

If possible, Akron Springfield should join the Akron Public Schools just for athletics. Springfield’s football team has had one winning season this century. They have won two games since 2019. They haven’t won a league game since 2019. They would be better off playing Akron North and Akron Ellet every year compared to playing Streetsboro and Woodridge every year.

Akron North needs to play out of conference games they have a chance in.Leetonia, Minerva, Akron Springfield, Some of the Cleveland Senate teams, including John Adam’s, Collinwood, Lincoln West, and any other program that struggles every year needs to be on there instead of Twinsburg or North Canton Hoover in 2024-which is just an idiotic matchup for multiple reasons. Akron North could probably qualify for eight-man football because of low roster numbers, but I don’t think they are near any of the current eight-man schools
If Springfield leaves the Metro Cuyahoga Falls should take their spot. CF cannot compete in the Suburban

My thoughts on the city league schools are that they are all not needed. I dont know the exact numbers, but Im sure they are vastly under utilized. From a numbers standpoint, TPS probably only needs 4 high schools.

A ton of kids attend their non traditiinal schools. I am not sure how it works it for the regular schools' numbers for sports numbers. Do kids that attend Toledo Technology Academy count for Start or Bowsher or wherever?
If we're talking purely butts in seats and how much space is being underutilized then yes I get it. But from an athletic perspective I don't think that'd work out that well for that new school. I guess they'd save some money however.

I didnt realize Calvert's team was that large. Good for them. In general, many of the very small Catholic high schools are struggling with football numbers. I'm glad they are bucking that trend.
They are bucking the trend and have been quite healthy in volleyball, baseball and boys basketball (112-44 last six years) of late as well. They were very freshman heavy in volleyball (7 freshman on 13 girl roster, state runner-up) this year and baseball (6 freshman, 2nd consecutive final four). They have a few bigger classes coming up, but some smaller ones as well.

St. Paul usually has that many, sometimes 50+. Also, Flyer Marching Band is good sized, especially compared to St. Joe, St. Mary, and Calvert
You could put the bands of SMCC, SJCC and TC together and you still wouldn't have a band that could squeak out the National Anthem. I can say at Calvert, most kids play sports.

There's some regret, still to this day, within the MAC to not require Anna to join fully. Originally for covering the New Knoxville hole to keep the conference at 10 teams in all sports.
Anna is still kinda seen as the red-headed stepchild to many.
I do not think the MAC has ever offered Anna full membership. I would not be surprised in Anna didn't immediately accept if offered.

Berea Midpark needs to get out of an all D2 conference and find one that has D1 teams.

Windham should drop to 8-man football. They've been getting smaller over the years.

It would be beneficial for Lutheran West and Gilmour Academy to join the North Coast Conference. They're the same size as the seven member schools that are already part of it. Would be a competitive football league for sure.

If possible, Akron Springfield should join the Akron Public Schools just for athletics. Springfield’s football team has had one winning season this century. They have won two games since 2019. They haven’t won a league game since 2019. They would be better off playing Akron North and Akron Ellet every year compared to playing Streetsboro and Woodridge every year.

Akron North needs to play out of conference games they have a chance in.Leetonia, Minerva, Akron Springfield, Some of the Cleveland Senate teams, including John Adam’s, Collinwood, Lincoln West, and any other program that struggles every year needs to be on there instead of Twinsburg or North Canton Hoover in 2024-which is just an idiotic matchup for multiple reasons. Akron North could probably qualify for eight-man football because of low roster numbers, but I don’t think they are near any of the current eight-man schools
Coventry will need to find a way to right the ship soon, or they will be in the same boat as Springfield.

Coventry will need to find a way to right the ship soon, or they will be in the same boat as Springfield.
Yeah, next season is crucial. I can take the 3-7/4-6 seasons to an extent, even though I would love winning seasons every year, but this past season was just so hard to watch. There needs to be major improvements for Coventry football in 2024. I don’t expect a winning record but they can’t go 1-9 again.

Greenville faithful. What is your take on the current state of the program? 5 wins in 4 years, 12 game losing streak headed into 2024. Where does the program go?
The program was typically mediocre, but still reasonably competitive before 2020. I'm hoping it's only a hiccup, and things can pick up. It CAN happen, with the right coach and commitment to building up a system. But I'm afraid they'll just hire someone's dad to be coach for the sake of having a coach at all, and I wouldn't put it past them. It's embarrassing.

The program was typically mediocre, but still reasonably competitive before 2020. I'm hoping it's only a hiccup, and things can pick up. It CAN happen, with the right coach and commitment to building up a system. But I'm afraid they'll just hire someone's dad to be coach for the sake of having a coach at all, and I wouldn't put it past them. It's embarrassing.
So they are searching for a coach?

Calvert, Lima Central Catholic, and I'd even say Delphos St. John's (who would be good, if they weren't in the MAC... hint hint..) all have fought the trends of other small catholic schools in the state. Even though they all probably have smaller enrollment than they did 20 years ago, their communities support their sports programs and they put together solid teams