Outstanding Wrestler Discussion

oldtigerjay

Who do you think deserves the outstanding wrestler this year? Obviously the Blaze brothers dominated but I would say their competition was not as tough as some wieghts. I will go with Herman.

1. Brock Herman. Beat two time champ Ty Wilson in semis and dominated Ginter to major decision finals.
2. Omar Ayoub. Down 4 in finals match and turned it on against a former state champ Bennett. His unsportsmanlike conduct throwing his headgear, etc was excessive and made him look silly.
3. Ethan Birden. Beat a returning champ in finals and looked impressive.
4. Eugene Harney. Feel good choice. Fun to watch.

I noticed a couple D2 Brackets where the Champion beat the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Placers. Now that's a SOLID Tournament.

152 Hoffarth (Louisville) and 175 Newsome (Hartley).

*There may be some in D1 and D3, I just didn't check.

Outstanding wrestler is always a tricky award to give out, for several reasons:

- The award often is for best wrestler of the tournament, but of course past performance is taken into account. If a wrestler is undefeated on the year, they often get a bump in this award, although their competition may not have been the strongest
- The award can "disvalue" the very good-but-not-great wrestlers, who win without issue but are lacking the flash of someone who pins
- Clear favorites have a harder time winning the award. People remember upsets more than wrestlers who are expected to win and do so.

If I was handing out awards, I would try and make it a combo of season results and tourney results. Here would be my picks:
D1: Marcus Blaze. Pin/pin/major/tech in state tourney, only one loss on the year (avenged), third at Ironman. Ethan Birden/Joey Blaze two other great choices
D2: Max Shulaw. To me, undisputed best Ohio season/tourney this year. Pin/pin/pin/pin, Ironman champ, beat D1 champ at Ironman by major. Yarbrough looked great too, plus only two losses on year at Ironman to two good wrestlers
D3: Dillon Campbell. Pin/pin/major/pin, never challenged. Feel like he really stepped it up this year, the Mason Gibson win at Ironman (finishing third) was impressive as hell. Brodie Dominique also a great year

Overall outstanding wrestler? For me, Shulaw.

- The award often is for best wrestler of the tournament, but of course past performance is taken into account. If a wrestler is undefeated on the year, they often get a bump in this award, although their competition may not have been the strongest
- The award can "disvalue" the very good-but-not-great wrestlers, who win without issue but are lacking the flash of someone who pins
- Clear favorites have a harder time winning the award. People remember upsets more than wrestlers who are expected to win and do so.

If I was handing out awards, I would try and make it a combo of season results and tourney results. Here would be my picks:
D1: Marcus Blaze. Pin/pin/major/tech in state tourney, only one loss on the year (avenged), third at Ironman. Ethan Birden/Joey Blaze two other great choices
D2: Max Shulaw. To me, undisputed best Ohio season/tourney this year. Pin/pin/pin/pin, Ironman champ, beat D1 champ at Ironman by major. Yarbrough looked great too, plus only two losses on year at Ironman to two good wrestlers
D3: Dillon Campbell. Pin/pin/major/pin, never challenged. Feel like he really stepped it up this year, the Mason Gibson win at Ironman (finishing third) was impressive as hell. Brodie Dominique also a great year

And Yarbrough pinned an undefeated wrestler in the Final.

Shulaw overall and I agree with this totally except one caveat--for D1 it has to be Joey B over Marcus B. I mean he won S32 for crying out loud....

I noticed a couple D2 Brackets where the Champion beat the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Placers. Now that's a SOLID Tournament.

152 Hoffarth (Louisville) and 175 Newsome (Hartley).

*There may be some in D1 and D3, I just didn't check.
D2 Cramblett 165- and beat #2 for the fifth time this season

All but two of Division II state champ Max Shulaw’s wins were by pins. (The exceptions: he won the Licking Valley sectional title match by default and the Norwalk district title match by a 14-3 major decision.) Now that's domination!

The OHSWCA named the following as the outstanding wrestlers:
D1 - Brock Herman
D2 - Max Shulaw
D3 - Dillon Campbell

Two of the three were the best wrestlers in the division over the course of the season (D2 and D3). In terms of D1, the best wrestler over the course of the season would be pick a Blaze brother, I'd be fine with either one.

He has to be the most underrated wrestler in Ohio. Looking like a Ryan Lang career. A lot of loses but always shows up in the post season.
Alot of losses? He’s 75-8 through his sophomore season. 2X SC he just doesn’t have an inflated BS schedule most of these undefeated guys roll in with and then lose in The first round.

D1 is Herman, hands down. Avenged a prior loss and beat a 2x champ going for his 3rd. Blaze is great and would win regardless who was there but didn’t have the hurdle to clear.

D2 unpopular but I’m going Tucker. Not a fan of the St. Paris diocese but he got through Rhoads and Paes after coming up from 113 last year. Shulaw is a beast and the beat wrester in D2 but he didn’t have a significant threat. I also acknowledge all you can do is beat the guy in front of you. Also, Javaan is very good BUT winning a weight class dominated by underclassmen as a Junior is not that impressive. Especially, when there wasn’t a single placer returning except him. He won semis 4-0 over a freshman and the finals opponent was 1-2 at states last year.
D3 is Hermes. Again, had a very talented opponent and stuck him in the finals. Dillon is better but, again not the same hurdles to clear.

D1 is Herman, hands down.
Always appreciate other opinions but lose the arrogance. I have no issue with the OHSWCA naming Herman M.O.W. in Div 1, but your "hands down" comment when talking about all the Div 1 champs from this weekend is juvenile at best.

All brackets are not created equal. Some brackets have returning state champs, placers and even nationally ranked competitors.

Which brackets had nationally ranked wrestlers ?

Joy has to be in this conversation... not a single point scored against him during the entire tournament. Birden beat a returning State Champ, so he's in the conversation. Both of the Blaze brother's dominated. Limbert had a heck of a tournament. Herman looked impressive as well.
I think this thread is for OW for this state tournament only.
However, Joy not only was unscored on last weekend in a gauntlet bracket, he was only scored on one time (Brown at Ironman- reversal late) by an Ohio opponent all season! Also, just read in an article he finished with over 320 takedowns this year and had back to back 51 win seasons. Wow!

All brackets are not created equal. Some brackets have returning state champs, placers and even nationally ranked competitors.

Which brackets had nationally ranked wrestlers ?
Just checking finals matchups & Willie’s rankings…

106- #12 Timar & #13 Seacrist
138- #8 Ayoub & #16 Bennett
157- #7 Birden & #16 Ernest
175- #9 Takats & #14 Miller
215- #11 Russo & #17 Vanadia

Just checking finals matchups & Willie’s rankings…

106- #12 Timar & #13 Seacrist
138- #8 Ayoub & #16 Bennett
157- #7 Birden & #16 Ernest
175- #9 Takats & #14 Miller
215- #11 Russo & #17 Vanadia
144 had 2 nationally ranked wrestlers in the same HALF bracket.

There's basically three ways people look at OW awards...

Number one, best guy in the tourney. That's Joey Blaze, Max Shulaw and Max Hermes
Number two would be, guy who won the best bracket. Obviously subjective, but guys like Joy in DI, McClelland, Tucker or Newsome in DII, maybe Max Hermes again in DIII.
Third is the guy who scored the big upset. That really didn't happen this year. There were upsets in the tourney, for sure, but nothing huge and not by a guy who ended up winning the bracket. Brock Herman was 46-1 with that strong Brecksville schedule, his win over Wilson might be seen as a mild upset at best. Many people had him winning that bout.