OHSAA to Host Press Conference Thursday (Noon)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
OHSAA to Host Press Conference Thursday
Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass will meet with the media and a live online audience at noon; press conference limited to 30 media members

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association will host a press conference at noon Thursday (March 19) at the OHSAA office, Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass has announced.

The press conference will be limited to 30 media members to comply with the directive from the Centers for Disease Control that no more than 50 people be together in the same room. Media must request and be approved for a seat at the press conference via email from Tim Stried at the OHSAA.

The press conference will be streamed live through OHSAA.tv and the OHSAA’s social media platforms (@OHSAASports on Twitter and Facebook).

Snodgrass will provide updates and information on the OHSAA’s winter tournaments that were postponed indefinitely last Thursday, along with updates on spring sports. He will also take questions from media.

OHSAA member schools are encouraged to watch the press conference, as Snodgrass will respond to some of the frequently asked questions from the past several days. His memo to member schools last Friday is posted at: https://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/ohsaa-winter-and-spring-sports-update

Yessir. My kid is getting zero guidance form his high school coaches with regards to individual work outs. They already know. My guess is that he be still working out with his club in a couple of weeks in small groups and practicing with them in mid April, playing by mid May. Need to break out the checkbook.

Yessir. My kid is getting zero guidance form his high school coaches with regards to individual work outs. They already know. My guess is that he be still working out with his club in a couple of weeks in small groups and practicing with them in mid April, playing by mid May. Need to break out the checkbook.

That’s because we DON’T already know. I’m sorry that you aren’t happy with your son’s high school coaching staff, but there are many of us that care deeply about our players, programs and upcoming season. This is a terrible situation and using it to take another shot at your high school’s coaching staff is poor form.

There was a littler sarcasm in my post but did you give your pitchers a daily throwing program? It is for sure going to be 3 weeks and all we have gotten from our coach is "don't work out with your club teams." Why would you leave it up to your players? I would have given them a schedule on Saturday. I know a team (private school) that scheduled a simulated game with unis, walk up music , the whole shebang "just in case". I think this is ridiculous. Eight weeks on shut down. But is one listens to our governor, he is going to shut down the day care and close the schools for the rest of the year. I am heartsick over this and I really hope this all worth it because this is a disaster which will not recover from any time soon. Honestly, high school baseball is rapidly fading as a concern on mine. Paying this bills is if this really lasts for eight weeks.

I understand that there is really no oversight for Summer Teams, but if I am a current coach of one (Have been with son), I wouldn't be having workouts with them. Guide them to make sure they are throwing, fielding and hitting with maybe one or two other teammates, but a team workout? I wouldn't do it.

I hope things pick up in May as I am an umpire and do high level Summer Teams/Tournaments. We won't know until we get there, but the projections right now don't look good until maybe June/July... I really want to be wrong on this.

Continued postponement basically. No huge news, but Snodgrass made it very clear that completely cancelling spring sports is a possibility.

There was a littler sarcasm in my post but did you give your pitchers a daily throwing program? It is for sure going to be 3 weeks and all we have gotten from our coach is "don't work out with your club teams." Why would you leave it up to your players? I would have given them a schedule on Saturday. I know a team (private school) that scheduled a simulated game with unis, walk up music , the whole shebang "just in case". I think this is ridiculous. Eight weeks on shut down. But is one listens to our governor, he is going to shut down the day care and close the schools for the rest of the year. I am heartsick over this and I really hope this all worth it because this is a disaster which will not recover from any time soon. Honestly, high school baseball is rapidly fading as a concern on mine. Paying this bills is if this really lasts for eight weeks.

Our district AD emailed all of us Monday to say any direction to our athletes on things they could do at home would be a violation worthy of termination.

• Winter Sports - Still on indefinite postponement
  • Extending tournaments problematic
  • Cancelling Winter tournaments is on the table
  • Tentative schedule for Spring sports: still on but could change if DeWine extends closing of schools
  • Cancelling Spring sports is on the table
  • If cancellation is required, likely all Winter sports would cancel at the same time. Probably not cancel one Winter sport and play another.
  • No extra year of eligibility - this was a question brought up by one of the reporters questions.
  • Working on eligibility for resumption of school due to closures possibly making athletes ineligible
  • No authority over travel teams. Worried about kids moving to their travel teams.
  • If Spring sports do not happen, what will happen with grades eligibility? Might make every kid eligible.
  • Financial impact on OHSAA. Huge impact and working on how bad it is. Lose 1.4-1.5 million in revenues from Winter Sports out of 19 million overall budget. 80% of OHSAA revenue from ticket sales.
  • Thinking creatively to keep the possibility of a season alive.
  • Decision on Winter sports coming in the next 24-48 hours
  • Would they announce a poll champion or a year without champions? Not sure yet. Not likely to have multiple champs.
  • Spring sports still has room to get the season in even with more school time closed. Could move tournaments later in June. Site availability an issue.
  • Winter sports not likely to be played in mid May. Strongly doubts it.
  • OHSAA has not discussed the Fall yet but realize how rapidly this is moving

Continued postponement basically. No huge news, but Snodgrass made it very clear that completely cancelling spring sports is a possibility.
Thanks. The only decisions the OHSAA can make right now are regarding cancellations, obviously. I’m glad they’re holding off - no sense canceling just to cancel. But the spring season will come and go soon.

Happy first day of Spring!

Glad they didnt bang the season yet. I think there is time to get a good season in. THe first few weeks were always hit or miss, and the tourney was always so spread out.
This should force the tournament to get more condensed and less time in between rounds,

Agreed about condensing the tournament. With approximately 200 teams in each division, they should be able to play the tournament in 2-3 weeks. Of course, this benefits the team with more pitching but I would rather get the season in.

Agreed about condensing the tournament. With approximately 200 teams in each division, they should be able to play the tournament in 2-3 weeks. Of course, this benefits the team with more pitching but I would rather get the season in.
I have long been a proponent of having a best of three finals. The Semi Finals would be at a neutral site in between the teams, like they do for football, and then 5 days later a best of three. Day 1 you play a DH. Split..come back day 2 for a winner take all.....

Our district AD emailed all of us Monday to say any direction to our athletes on things they could do at home would be a violation worthy of termination.
Yea, I heard that today. When I read the OHSAA rules about this situation, I did not see that interpretation. I understand that they don't want the boys back together but not giving them any guidance on what they could do personally like leg exercises, bands, running, throwing with dad ( I can barely hang now) . My concern right now, is that if they when they come back together after an extended leave do they assume the boys have done nothing and how long do they give them to get their arms into shape?

A kid can do anything he wants on his own. Were you really asking that question or interpretation? Put a piece of carpet in your garage or basement and hit into it, throw against any hard surface if you have no one to toss with and do as much or as little weight training and/or cardio. I'm hoping I misunderstood what the question was.

Yea, I heard that today. When I read the OHSAA rules about this situation, I did not see that interpretation. I understand that they don't want the boys back together but not giving them any guidance on what they could do personally like leg exercises, bands, running, throwing with dad ( I can barely hang now) . My concern right now, is that if they when they come back together after an extended leave do they assume the boys have done nothing and how long do they give them to get their arms into shape?
Correct me if I'm wrong but, the poster you're responding to is in South Carolina, so he may just be referring to the policies put in place there and not those put in place here in Ohio.

In today's press conference, Snodgrass said from the OHSAA's standpoint, it's OK for coaches to correspond with their athletes electronically with regard to providing athletes with training advice and things of that sort. What the OHSAA doesn't want is for physical meetings to occur between coaches and their athletes, school facilities to be made available to athletes, coaches to instruct their athletes to meet away from campus, or for athletes to organize "captain's workouts" that generate large attendance. Basically, no big group meetings. Your school may have adopted stricter guidelines, but that's the gist of where the OHSAA stands on the non-contact period that they have put in place for the time being. Before the OHSAA no-contact period was issued last week, my school had already come out and informed coaches that no practices, meetings, workouts etc. would be allowed to take place either on school grounds or away from school grounds and that any coach found to be in violation would be terminated immediately.

With remote correspondence allowed, I'm sure any coaches worth their salt have been instructing their athletes on what they can be doing right now.

Thank you for the clarification. I thought that is how things stood but my son has heard nothing from his team. He went to see his private pitching coach today because he was struggling with his location prior to things being shut down. This guy told my son that coaches are being highly discouraged from communicating with their players so as to avoid breaking the non-contact period. I don't know. Sounds like people are taking an overly conservative approach with regard to this rule. We have a net downstairs for him to throw into to work on his form and try to keep his arm in shape. He and one of the catchers have gotten together to throw a couple of times and weather permitting, he long tosses to me. I catch and put the balls in the bucket and then run them back to him. I can't throw as far as he can.

Thank you for the clarification. I thought that is how things stood but my son has heard nothing from his team. He went to see his private pitching coach today because he was struggling with his location prior to things being shut down. This guy told my son that coaches are being highly discouraged from communicating with their players so as to avoid breaking the non-contact period. I don't know. Sounds like people are taking an overly conservative approach with regard to this rule. We have a net downstairs for him to throw into to work on his form and try to keep his arm in shape. He and one of the catchers have gotten together to throw a couple of times and weather permitting, he long tosses to me. I catch and put the balls in the bucket and then run them back to him. I can't throw as far as he can.

Watch from about 35:20-39:00. Snodgrass clearly states that coaches are encouraged to give their kids workouts and instructions electronically. The non-contact rules are in effect primarily to prevent social gatherings from occurring.

Watch from about 35:20-39:00. Snodgrass clearly states that coaches are encouraged to give their kids workouts and instructions electronically. The non-contact rules are in effect primarily to prevent social gatherings from occurring.

Likely hitting the cages this weekend if the weather allows. May be a little cool, or maybe we will just throw and take some ground balls. School diamonds may be closed but there are plenty of places to get work in,

I was thinking about the cages myself. He has something scheduled with one of his catchers tomorrow. I am only repeating what one high school coach told my son. But, he has not heard from his high school team at all since the lock down. I also believe that Mr. Snodgrass made it clear initially that electronic contact was ok. I just think some athletic departments are being super, super conservative.

Just read a tweet from a local HS Sportswriter saying he received the following: In an email I just received from the Ohio High School Athletic Association, it said to expect an update on both winter and spring sports in "the next day or so", probably tomorrow.

Just read a tweet from a local HS Sportswriter saying he received the following: In an email I just received from the Ohio High School Athletic Association, it said to expect an update on both winter and spring sports in "the next day or so", probably tomorrow.
Jerry said Friday that they would make a decision on the winter sports within 24-48 hours. Well its been longer than that and no word. With the state wide shutdown I would say winter sports are complete. Spring still has a chance but its slim.