OHSAA Releases Preliminary Enrollment Numbers

East, Actually that is inaccurate, Ursuline incoming freshman classes have been going up the past few years, and based on registration for next years class this is considerable larger than Mooney's as it was last year.

i stand corrected. Also, that is good news to hear!

The issue at hand is that the OHSAA will use those numbers, whether you think they are right or wrong, for assigning divisions for the next two years UNLESS your school appeals it's number.
SO, if a school has a number that is too low, won't it just ignore the appeal process and possibly end up in a lower division in some sports? Seems to me only schools with a number deemed too high will actually appeal.

The issue at hand is that the OHSAA will use those numbers, whether you think they are right or wrong, for assigning divisions for the next two years UNLESS your school appeals it's number.
SO, if a school has a number that is too low, won't it just ignore the appeal process and possibly end up in a lower division in some sports? Seems to me only schools with a number deemed too high will actually appeal.

I would like to think that wouldn't happen.....but just when you think it won't......
What's different about this year? OHSAA collects numbers and assigns divisions every two years but this year it seems like they've never done it before. Or is it just fallout from the other issues going on at the same time?

I doubt that there is any problem with the privates numbers. Its pretty cut and dry for the most part..no special needs, homeschool, jail etc. The schools I'm familiar with look about right.

So will Kelleys Island's long standing football tradition push them up to d-6? I feel like they could make a legit run in the d-7, since the state decided to water down our divisions and make perfectly good system into a joke.

Unless these numbers also affect funding from the state and not just sports. Then schools will want to appeal to get that number moved up.

As Whizzer's link shows, the numbers are what they are unless appealed by Monday.

I agree that the private schools will most likely not be appealed.

We'll see what numbers get changed later in the month.

As Whizzer's link shows, the numbers are what they are unless appealed by Monday.

I agree that the private schools will most likely not be appealed.

We'll see what numbers get changed later in the month.

Do any of the numbers for privates seem to be out of whack? Seems most of the schools that have crazy numbers are publics.

Deadline extended

May 3, 2013
TO: Member School Superintendents, High School Principals and High School Athletic Administrators FROM: Dan Ross, OHSAA Commissioner
RE: School Enrollment (EMIS) Update
On May 2, 2013, representatives of the OHSAA met with representatives of the Ohio Department of Education to better understand the issues surrounding enrollment numbers provided by the Department for the biennial classifications required by the OHSAA Constitution. During that meeting, we learned from the Department that, because of the changes in EMIS since the last time the enrollment numbers were given to the OHSAA, they were unable to replicate the way the data was put together in the past, and had to resort to different methods than traditionally used to provide data to the OHSAA. Additionally, based on our conversation with the Department, the nonpublic school enrollment counts should not be affected by any issues because those enrollments come from a different data collection system within the Department.
Because of this situation, the Department advised and OHSAA concurred that the best way to move forward for this reporting period is to gather October 2012 EMIS enrollment period K reports from schools that believe there is an error in reporting both higher or lower. OHSAA will then use this information to determine the enrollment counts reported. The OHSAA will also compare this information to historical trends to ensure the enrollments reported are reasonable. In the event we have any questions, we will contact the member school principal for clarification. Please submit an appeal to the OHSAA in accordance with the instructions emailed on April 26, 2013, and include a copy of the October 2012 EMIS enrollment period K report and any other supporting documentation you wish for the OHSAA to consider in making adjustments. If you no longer have the e-mail, the instructions and appeal forms are located at http://www.ohsaa.org/members/hsenroll13.htm. Schools will be sent an e-mail confirmation indicating the OHSAA has received the report and will be forwarded a report at the conclusion of the appeal process that details the new enrollment figures recorded. Knowing this process is crucial to our Association, we are extending the deadline to submit enrollment appeals until close of business May 10, 2013, to give each of you the opportunity to examine your data and make any appeal submissions to the OHSAA.
Moving forward in future years and to avoid this issue, the Department suggested the OHSAA work directly with Information Technology Centers (ITCs) to gather this data for public schools (with the school’s permission). For nonpublic schools, we will continue to contact the Department of Education to receive those enrollment numbers from that source. We are working with the Department to develop these procedures and will communicate them to all member schools when they are finalized. The Department has committed to working with the membership and the OHSAA to ensure this situation is rectified both currently and going forward.
We thank you very much for being part of the data integrity and check and balance system for enrollment numbers. As we have always believed, it is critical to ensure the membership had an opportunity to review enrollment numbers and to report back any issues prior to using the information for calculating divisions or classifications. This process enables the OHSAA to be assured the data we utilize is accurate. While obtaining, evaluating and reporting the enrollment numbers this year has been a difficult process, we know going through this review procedure has made our process stronger and properly reflects the true position of enrollment in your schools. We appreciate your efforts as we work to serve all of you as member schools.

So, basically the state is saying that they have no idea how many students are some schools? Whatever they are paying their IT people, or more likely, outside consultants, it is obviously too much.

It is a shame to see what high school sports are becoming...I'm beyond turned off. Becoming just like college sports in many ways.

I would not blame the OHSAA for many of these wrong numbers. I am just guessing here, but I believe many ADs sent in the entire 4 grade enrollment count for boys and girls rather than the 3 year count. I amazes me that that many ADs would be that incompetent. I assume the OHSAA specifically wrote down the 3 grade count they wanted. Secondly, I assume most of these ADs are not new and have done this before, i.e. every two years. I think it should be done every year rather than every two years though.

Easy now..... ADs DO NOT send in numbers to anyone. The numbers are gathered by the Ohio Department of Education, base on a "count" week of attendence in October. The Ohio Department of Education sends OHSAA numbers for each school base on the "count" week.

The problem MANY school are finding is the ODE sent numbers to OHSAA for grades 9,10,11 AND 12.

The divisional numbers are supposed to be based on the numbers for grades 9,10 and 11 only.

Additionally, based on our conversation with the Department, the nonpublic school enrollment counts should not be affected by any issues because those enrollments come from a different data collection system within the Department.

They don't use the same data collection system. Maybe the nonpublic will want to sue because Ohio Department of Education separates the publics from the nonpublic.

Those definitely can't be right. If they are, it would mean that Hamilton High School has approximately 1000 less students than it did 3 years ago. I know the town is struggling, but it can't be that bad.

Although just a divison apart, or so it appears, this time around, I'd be willing to bet Mooney and Ursuline will be in the same division when the new divisions are set in 2015. Mooney's current freshmen class is currently about the same size as Ursuline's and it appears that Ursuline's incoming freshmen class may be larger than Mooney's.

Not sure of the exact reason for this, but last years St. Christine's eighth grade class and the incoming one have gone by a pretty sizable margin to Ursuline over Mooney, when it has been reverse for the past decade or so. Makes you wonder what may happen if Mooney moves to Western Reserve Road.