OHSAA extending 2021 playoffs to 12 teams per region

Do you mean seven?
Maybe he means with the start of, and possibly eventually state championship recognized, 8 man football.

I dont ever see it getting more than it is now, maybe the addition of 8 man though.
I do foresee in 10 plus years maybe going to 16 but I do not think it is inevitable once they look at the schools 13-16

Why go from 8 to 12? Why not 10? Split the difference.

I think this stays with the "integrity" of rewarding the top 4 of each region.

If you do top 10:
*Top 6 get a bye. Bottom four play. Then you get to the 8 and carry on.

Um: Trying to think of another way to go about it. Other options are escaping me at the moment.

I think this stays with the "integrity" of rewarding the top 4 of each region.

If you do top 10:
*Top 6 get a bye. Bottom four play. Then you get to the 8 and carry on.

Um: Trying to think of another way to go about it. Other options are escaping me at the moment.
I like this. Essentially, two play-in games to get into the regions top 8.

Because 5 and 6 would make the playoffs, get a bye, and no home game. But 7 and 8 would get home games.

This way 1-4 get a bye and home game, 5-8 get a home game and 9-12 just qualify.
True.
That is sort or what I meant by keeping the integrity of finishing in the top 4.
If I had to chose between 10 and 12, I would go with 12 for that reason.

Well...schools are going to need a lot more of those banners to hang in the gyms.
LOL. Always enjoyed that part of visiting gyms. Seeing which schools hang up what. Saw one for "Greatest Team Ever" in football. They didn't actually win state so I guess that title would be moved if another team ever actually wins.

I imagine the thought of 10 never crossed their minds.
The way I understood it from the coaches was if there were 12 teams that made the playoffs, it gives more fan bases reasons to care about the team in weeks 8-10. If you're in 14th in your region right now, the argument from the coaches association was interest starts to wane and you're going to lose money for the athletic department cause you don't have a very good chance to make the playoffs. If you're 14th and the top 10 get in, you still don't have a very good chance to get in. But if it's 12, you are right there.

The way I understood it from the coaches was if there were 12 teams that made the playoffs, it gives more fan bases reasons to care about the team in weeks 8-10. If you're in 14th in your region right now, the argument from the coaches association was interest starts to wane and you're going to lose money for the athletic department cause you don't have a very good chance to make the playoffs. If you're 14th and the top 10 get in, you still don't have a very good chance to get in. But if it's 12, you are right there.
I agree 100%. I noticed in past years a school which would normally have a decent following in football have very little people (students) attend their games due to the team being a long shot to make the playoffs after week seven.

I agree 100%. I noticed in past years a school which would normally have a decent following in football have very little people (students) attend their games due to the team being a long shot to make the playoffs after week seven.
Just like every level of football...so what? Money is destroying sports at all levels.

Have a 11-week regular season keep 8 teams in the playoffs with the post-season starting week 12. Most week 11 games under the current/old format aren't competitive anyway. Perhaps that's why they changed it to make the first week of playoffs more competitive to appease teams with great records but weak schedules, get in and seeds 1-4 get a bye. Or, something they'll never do, have an eight-week regular season and everybody makes the playoffs!( Actually, OHSAA should experiment with that for the 2020 season. This is the year to experiment.)

Have a 11-week regular season keep 8 teams in the playoffs with the post-season starting week 12. Most week 11 games under the current/old format aren't competitive anyway. Perhaps that's why they changed it to make the first week of playoffs more competitive to appease teams with great records but weak schedules, get in and seeds 1-4 get a bye. Or, something they'll never do, have an eight-week regular season and everybody makes the playoffs!( Actually, OHSAA should experiment with that for the 2020 season. This is the year to experiment.)
i like 8 games with everyone in more. keeps it consistent across all sports. but i don’t have a problem with the current set up

i like 8 games with everyone in more. keeps it consistent across all sports. but i don’t have a problem with the current set up
That's actually a REALLY good point, GHS. Listened to Snodgrass on a podcast last week talk that they "make nothing" from regular season events, only the tournaments. Considering that this move was to help make up some of the lost 2019 revenue (if someone tells you otherwise put your hand on your wallet while they're talking) the next step could be to setup an "all in" system that would increase OHSAA revenue.

It would greatly reduce the need for OOC games for traditional 8 team conferences. Also would create a "district" title in football (will need something to replace the "Playoff Qualifier" banner in most gyms).

My suggestion - start a thread on this topic. Football fanatics are getting bored and need to get upset at something else now.

^^^ If the OSHAA would make more money with an 8-game setup it means the individual schools would be losing money. They’re taking a beating from state cuts the way it is.

That's actually a REALLY good point, GHS. Listened to Snodgrass on a podcast last week talk that they "make nothing" from regular season events, only the tournaments. Considering that this move was to help make up some of the lost 2019 revenue (if someone tells you otherwise put your hand on your wallet while they're talking) the next step could be to setup an "all in" system that would increase OHSAA revenue.

It would greatly reduce the need for OOC games for traditional 8 team conferences. Also would create a "district" title in football (will need something to replace the "Playoff Qualifier" banner in most gyms).

My suggestion - start a thread on this topic. Football fanatics are getting bored and need to get upset at something else now.
Mr Givens,
This proposal was put out last fall and pretty much a go from the start.

So unless someone from the OHSAA was in the lab in China assisting in, or had knowledge, of this Boomer Remover Virus that was being created this is not a direct result of the missed revenue from this winter/spring.

Mr Givens,
This proposal was put out last fall and pretty much a go from the start.

So unless someone from the OHSAA was in the lab in China assisting in, or had knowledge, of this Boomer Remover Virus that was being created this is not a direct result of the missed revenue from this winter/spring.
Mr Voice - I can see that my "wallet" comment might sound harsh, but I do agree, this proposal was up before the COVID crisis ended the 2019 school year.

Did not mean to imply anything illicit EXCEPT that the OHSAA PR folks might have been smoking some funny smelling cigarettes (wait, did that WR guy get a new job?) if they thought making this announcement was a great idea when schools have been shutdown down 60 days.

Bottom line, go back to the WHY. Why did they propose this is fall of 2019? To make more $. Why did they approve this in 2020? To make more $.

I'm on the record not hating this idea, but I'm also a self-acknowledge football addict. I guess in this case I like it, but also see the decision for what it's for - to make more money.

Mr Voice - I can see that my "wallet" comment might sound harsh, but I do agree, this proposal was up before the COVID crisis ended the 2019 school year.

Did not mean to imply anything illicit EXCEPT that the OHSAA PR folks might have been smoking some funny smelling cigarettes (wait, did that WR guy get a new job?) if they thought making this announcement was a great idea when schools have been shutdown down 60 days.

Bottom line, go back to the WHY. Why did they propose this is fall of 2019? To make more $. Why did they approve this in 2020? To make more $.

I'm on the record not hating this idea, but I'm also a self-acknowledge football addict. I guess in this case I like it, but also see the decision for what it's for - to make more money.

Mr. Givens,
Yes, money is a contributing factor. No doubt about that. It also has other benefits as well.

I just wanted to clarify that for those who believe this came up only because the Boomer Remover Virus shut down the state.

As to why they announced it during out state wide grounding? Well, the spring is a logical time and it isnt like they have anything else to do right now!

As i stated, I like the idea. Teams only have so much control over their scheduling. It isnt like I am love the proposal because it helps my alma mater, I just feel that there are enough 7-9 win teams who should get a shot at the playoffs!

I like the 12 teams for one reason (and forgive me if I missed it on an earlier page). maybe this will slow down the league jumping? It seems like since they went to 8 teams per region, the playoffs became a real possibility for some schools who weren't really in it most years. I feel the last 20 years have seen SO MANY league/conference changes and I attribute it to teams wanting to be in a good spot for making the playoffs. 12 teams means you can afford another loss or a win over a much smaller team. maybe it will help settle things down on that front.

I like the 12 teams for one reason (and forgive me if I missed it on an earlier page). maybe this will slow down the league jumping? It seems like since they went to 8 teams per region, the playoffs became a real possibility for some schools who weren't really in it most years. I feel the last 20 years have seen SO MANY league/conference changes and I attribute it to teams wanting to be in a good spot for making the playoffs. 12 teams means you can afford another loss or a win over a much smaller team. maybe it will help settle things down on that front.
Possibly but for a league like the BVC for example. They're just getting started with league turnover. A 12 team playoff wont stop that.

Possibly but for a league like the BVC for example. They're just getting started with league turnover. A 12 team playoff wont stop that.
True since the BVC issues are differences in school sizes and that few of the most likely are headed for 8 man football not because schools are are having trouble making the play-offs.