OHSAA extending 2021 playoffs to 12 teams per region

Sykotyk

You’ve been to Texas. It’s not the same.
The entire state controls what district you play in and your qualification to the playoffs are only based on those games and the other games mean nothing toward the season.

Only thing with Texas is only 2 private schools are in the UIL and they're required to be in the highest classification regardless of enrollment.

Redwing

The more I've thought about this, it should be good for scheduling. If you're a parent, supporter or alumni of a private school program, I would think it'll be easier for schools like Ed's, Iggy, Lasalle, Hoban, X, etc, to find more local teams willing to play them (in theory). I think byes are a big advantage, and coaches will welcome a week off to heal up after a 10 week stretch, especially if you're a team with a chance to play into week 15.

YTOWN

I wonder how long before we see a 16-0 team? Obviously most 10-0 teams will finish in top 4 and have that bye week.
As you mentioned historically most teams that finish 10-0 are in the top 4 in their regions. Over the years since the expansion to 8 teams/region, relatively speaking, a handful of 10-0 teams have finished lower than 4th. However, only 1 of those teams has gone on to become a 15-0 state champion. Can you name them?

I do think it is possible that this expansion will cut down on the number of 1st round blowouts, mainly because the #8 teams have an abysmal winning percentage overall and the majority of their games have been blowouts. Yes two #8s have won state titles and a few others have made it to a state final but their overall playoff winning percentage is less than .200. If you go back and look at some of the #1 vs #8 scores you see scores like 76-0, 72-0, 73-21, 74-22, etc. a ton of blowouts. I don't see the #5s vs #12s being any worse. #1 vs #12 should it happen? Who knows?

Since 1999 I believe there have been 18 state champions that did not finish in the top 4 in their respective regions. Only one time though did both participants in a state title game finish lower that 4th in their regions.. Can you name the teams?

lchsman

As you mentioned historically most teams that finish 10-0 are in the top 4 in their regions. Over the years since the expansion to 8 teams/region, relatively speaking, a handful of 10-0 teams have finished lower than 4th. However, only 1 of those teams has gone on to become a 15-0 state champion. Can you name them?

I do think it is possible that this expansion will cut down on the number of 1st round blowouts, mainly because the #8 teams have an abysmal winning percentage overall and the majority of their games have been blowouts. Yes two #8s have won state titles and a few others have made it to a state final but their overall playoff winning percentage is less than .200. If you go back and look at some of the #1 vs #8 scores you see scores like 76-0, 72-0, 73-21, 74-22, etc. a ton of blowouts. I don't see the #5s vs #12s being any worse. #1 vs #12 should it happen? Who knows?

Since 1999 I believe there have been 18 state champions that did not finish in the top 4 in their respective regions. Only one time though did both participants in a state title game finish lower that 4th in their regions.. Can you name the teams?
Lake Catholic - Columbus DeSales, 2001 State Championship. LC finished 5th in region 9 and DeSales was the 8 seed at 5-5.

I hope your well YTOWN

YTOWN

Lake Catholic - Columbus DeSales, 2001 State Championship. LC finished 5th in region 9 and DeSales was the 8 seed at 5-5.

I hope your well YTOWN
That is correct. Good job. Hope all is well with you also.

The 2001 MLC D3 title squad was the 1st #5 or lower seeded team to win a state title. St. Ignatius, #7 in R1, would join them the next night when they beat St. Xavier, #1 in R4. Ignatius was the first #7 seed to win a title. The 2001 Ignatius-St. Xavier D1 title game was also only the 2nd rematch of a regular season game in a state title game.

Raylan_Givens

Didn’t like the idea at first, but should help to make week 11 more competitive, some teams will actually win playoff games vs just qualify & good teams get a huge edge in getting some rest. Additionally, ADs can take some riskier games knowing they have a bigger margin for error to qualify.

Bottom line, getting more of what we love(OH HS Football) has to be a good thing, right?