OHSAA - Enough with Mason!

In a first round game being the heavy favorite. There's a big contingent of Elder fans that come out for big playoff games at Nippert.

You are speculating based on what happened int he past. When things like that happen in business those that make those claims are afforded an opportunity to back up those claims.......

They guarantee to those who bear the financial burden that the monetary numbers will be met that allow them to put the event at the venue. They put the money up that allows both entities (OHSAA and UC) to realize their needs.

If the numbers meet or exceed the guarantee, they get their money back.... If not, well......

Want to take a stab at why nobody (your school) has stepped forward with that guarantee to back your claim?

but the cold weather and the game being live on spectrum kept a lot of fair weather fans away.

This is where you're confused. You have an issue with people that don't show up at games when they're on TV and call them "fair weather fans" - where everyone else just thinks they're normal. Part of that elitist purple mantra from their fanbase that constantly rubs people the wrong way.

The PIT was plenty full against teams from out of town that brought very few fans. The round 1 playoff game was a little disappointing for Elder fans, but the cold weather and the game being live on spectrum kept a lot of fair weather fans away.

Now, I do understand I guess the OHSAA and UC don't want the games apparently. My responses are geared towards the group that don't believe Elder-X at Nippert would draw 15,000-20,000 like it used to.
You are delusional if you think that Elder-X at Nippert would draw anywhere close to what it drew in 2000 - 2010. Anybody who seriously has followed and attends high school football games over the last 20 years would have to know attendance has dropped precipitously for EVERYONE over the last 10 years. And it's not TV - if anything, there has been less TV coverage (particularly since FSOH has gone away) over the last 2-5 years than there was then.
There isn't the INTEREST in fans that there once was. I don't know why - and I have thought about it a lot. But I see it every time I go to a game.

This is where you're confused. You have an issue with people that don't show up at games when they're on TV and call them "fair weather fans" - where everyone else just thinks they're normal. Part of that elitist purple mantra from their fanbase that constantly rubs people the wrong way.
It's not TV that's the problem. Interest has dropped. I have heard a lot of supposed causes (concussions, more stuff do, etc.). I don't believe any single one of those is true. Is it possible that decline in coverage by local newspapers has been part of it? I doubt it - it usually works the other way around (decline in interest leads to a decline in coverage). Seriously, I have talked to a bunch of people and I have yet to come up with any good answers.

I remember someone saying that UC can't host games in certain months anymore because of new recruiting rules and that's why the crosstown shootout games aren't there anymore. Also noticed that there is not a SINGLE college campus location hosting a game this coming weekend. Coincidence?

HS stadiums are much less expensive....and for the 100th time on this thread, the OHSAA can't use a stadium if the university doesn't offer. It takes a lot of people to staff a game at a college stadium....and they aren't doing it for free. The Glass Bowl in Toledo has hosted HS games this season, so the thought they aren't allowed isn't true

It's not TV that's the problem. Interest has dropped. I have heard a lot of supposed causes (concussions, more stuff do, etc.). I don't believe any single one of those is true. Is it possible that decline in coverage by local newspapers has been part of it? I doubt it - it usually works the other way around (decline in interest leads to a decline in coverage). Seriously, I have talked to a bunch of people and I have yet to come up with any good answers.

It's a variety of things. People are busier. Kids are in a million different things now, things that take away time. I think TV has some to do with it. I'll be honest, if it's cold out, and the game is on TV, I'll likely be at someone's house drinking some beer and watching the game, and would take that 9.9 times out of 10 when it's cold out.

Also, this generation of family isn't as die hard as the past. It's not wrong, it's just different.

I don't think Spectrum would commit to these games if there wasn't profit involved. Somehow it is a win-win for OHSAA and Spectrum.

I was talking about Elder-X or Elder-Colerain. Elder always brought a large crowd and the X/Colerain always brought good crowd too. Combine them and that's how they always got the 15,000-20,000 number. I remember an X-Colerain playoff game at PBS that had a huge crowd.
That was 2001. That was the second year for PBS, so most people went to check out the new stadium. The crowd got too big as they were just going to use the lower bowl, then they just let everyone in for free after that filled. Everyone downtown flooded the place to get a free look at PBS. The weather was absolutely perfect that night too, warm and clear for Mid-November.

Also, you claimed the Pit was plenty full last week, which is also false. I recorded the stream and the stadium was a little more than half full. The entire "Shoe" portion of the stadium was empty and the crowd was very sparse from the Press Box on downward toward that end of the stadium.

Times change, you must accept it and move on that the Elder Faithful don't show up like they used to. They still have a great fan base that travels better than anyone else in SW Ohio, but the days of 10k+ traveling fans are L O N G gone.

I was on board with EHSfan02 until 2015 when Elder played Colerain out at Mason. Elder fans of all kinds, myself included, bitched and moaned about the venue all week long, but when it came time to play that Saturday I believe, there some room on the visitor side in the corner opposite the Elder student section. There was also plenty of room on the Colerain side outside the 30-35 yard lines - think Mason's seating on the home side runs from 10 to 10 (maybe goal line to goal line). Several packs of Elder fans did sit on the home side, that night, but the 7,000 seat stadium was nowhere near full. I won't argue that it's the wrong facility or that it's not big enough, but I don't have to like the venue and I don't.

I was on board with EHSfan02 until 2015 when Elder played Colerain out at Mason. Elder fans of all kinds, myself included, bitched and moaned about the venue all week long, but when it came time to play that Saturday I believe, there some room on the visitor side in the corner opposite the Elder student section. There was also plenty of room on the Colerain side outside the 30-35 yard lines - think Mason's seating on the home side runs from 10 to 10 (maybe goal line to goal line). Several packs of Elder fans did sit on the home side, that night, but the 7,000 seat stadium was nowhere near full. I won't argue that it's the wrong facility or that it's not big enough, but I don't have to like the venue and I don't.

I'm with you on the venue, but I can't figure out why Elder fans are so hung up on driving out to Mason to support the team. It's puzzling.

I don't think Spectrum wants these games out of the goodness of their hearts? I also don't think the OHSAA doesn't have a financial stake in this to make them want Spectrum to have the games.

Snodgrass is already on record stating that the financial gain from TV for the OHSAA is vastly overstated.

And for all the posters on this thread saying Elder fans are complaining about Mason as the host site.... It's been exactly 1 fan who started this thread that isn't happy, not a fan base like it was 5 years ago.

And for all the posters on this thread saying Elder fans are complaining about Mason as the host site.... It's been exactly 1 fan who started this thread that isn't happy, not a fan base like it was 5 years ago.

This is true - but you have to admit, we go through this most years with Elder fans and venues. Like they're obligated their choice of venue for some reason.

I will agree that Elder fans need to show up. Only 2 days away yes the venue is not changing. Time to move on.

I will say if any Elder fan is not going, you have no say in this argument and thread.(OldSchoolPanther)

This is true - but you have to admit, we go through this most years with Elder fans and venues. Like they're obligated their choice of venue for some reason.

Other than UD we don't go through this at all anymore. And UD was/is the worst, every school/fan complains about going there. I bet Mason and Princeton are the only schools who put a bid in to host the D1 games. Like I said earlier the only thing I would change would be Elder/X at Princeton and FF/Crain at Mason. It just makes more sense from a logistical standpoint.

To be fair to UD, Welcome is owned and operated by Dayton Public Schools.
If UD owned Welcome, it would not be in the condition it is in.

Truth. There have been people hoping it wasn't awarded to Mason, but since the announcement the only one on a crusade about it is EHSfan02.

Other than UD we don't go through this at all anymore. And UD was/is the worst, every school/fan complains about going there. I bet Mason and Princeton are the only schools who put a bid in to host the D1 games. Like I said earlier the only thing I would change would be Elder/X at Princeton and FF/Crain at Mason. It just makes more sense from a logistical standpoint.

I think the Elder/St X game is at Mason because it holds more and would minimize the complaints.

I will agree that Elder fans need to show up. Only 2 days away yes the venue is not changing. Time to move on.

I will say if any Elder fan is not going, you have no say in this argument and thread.(OldSchoolPanther)

Because it makes me "less of a fan" right?

It's cold, it's kind of far, it's on TV and/or radio. Sue me.

Wow. Four pages. This might be the first time Mason has given anyone any trouble in Week 12. We need an opinion from that the-coach-is-mean Mason guy. I had two nephews play football at Mason back in the dark ages. I always thought it was a great location and the field was fine. There's no crying about wind in football.