OHSAA - Enough with Mason!

Both Mason and Princeton are great venues to host playoff games. I would agree it would make more sense if Elder/St. X played at Princeton and Colerain/FF played at Mason

I hear that argument all the time, but it is all hearsay until you put another game at UC. I don't know about 20,000, but I think attendance would be double what you will see at Mason. I'm shocked Elder/X representatives didn't get together to push for UC.
It simply comes down to a money issue. renting both Mason and Princeton is more cost effective than Nippert.

I have criticized the OHSAA on venues as much or more than anyone. Hard for me to find fault with Mason, though. Other than Nippert, there simply is no place better given current constraints. Hey - it's better than Welcome! It's too bad that crowds aren't what they used to be - the big games at Nippert in the early 2000's (and the games at Paul Brown) were great, but I am afraid those days are gone forever.

By the way lotr, I think Hamilton and Fairfield (and X and Elder for that matter) would be fine venues for neutral site games regardless of the asymmetry. Nothing says you need to have opposing sides sit across the field from each other. Besides, even during the regular season, I will often sit on the "home" side for better seats - and it certainly doesn't bother me when opposing team's fans do it at X.

In any event, unless we get back to the 2000 - 2010's attendance-wise, I think we are where we are and we probably should consider playing second round games at the higher seed. BTW, I may be in the minority, but as an X fan, I would probably rather be going to this game at The Pit than at Mason. I will also say that while Fairfield, The Pit, and X are all really nice sites - I really think Colerain's stadium is a step below those venues and would not really want to attend a playoff game there (nothing to do with the fans or the team - just don't like the stadium).

BTW, MAPFRE was one of the best places I have ever gone to to see a game. I wonder if there is any hope that the regional semifinals or finals could be held at the new FC Cincy place - that would be OUTSTANDING - although I doubt it will happen. Are they even including the option for football there - i.e. goal post anchors?

The annual purple venue complaint fest. Been going on for decades. Elder fans think the world revolves around Elder. And I'm an Elder fan.

Nippert is a great place to watch a game, but they wouldn't draw anywhere close to what they did 15-20 years ago. Times have changed.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
BTW, MAPFRE was one of the best places I have ever gone to to see a game. I wonder if there is any hope that the regional semifinals or finals could be held at the new FC Cincy place - that would be OUTSTANDING - although I doubt it will happen. Are they even including the option for football there - i.e. goal post anchors?

The biggest issue in that facility would be natural grass versus synthetic turf.

Is it me or does it always seem like it’s the Elder faithful always complaining about the venues?

It's not you - it's 100% true.

They think OHSAA has specifically pointed them out to screw them because they're always good. Not lying, I've heard that numerous times over the years.

The biggest issue in that facility would be natural grass versus synthetic turf.
I think that would be at least one of the reasons FC Cincy would use (or at least argue) for not doing it. But the same was true at MAPFRE and that game was played in late November (in the rain no-less) and the turf was great. Depending on what kind of turf they put-in, it should probably fine for one or two football games late in the season. Having said that, if they can't make it work money-wise at Nippert, it's doubtful they could make it work there. Lindner/Berding would have to want to do it (as a potential loss-leader) for it to happen.

Nippert is a great place to watch a game, but they wouldn't draw anywhere close to what they did 15-20 years ago. Times have changed.

How do you know that until you host another Elder-X or Elder-Colerain game there? In 2009 just 10 years ago, Elder-X regional semi-final game drew upwards to 20,000.

Here are the KEY words. Nippert "GREAT" Mason "NOT GREAT"

LOL, right on cue. They can't help themselves.

Imagine if they lose - it will be the refs fault or the venues fault - another common denominator excuse over the years.

The rabid purple contingent is a fascinating case study.

The rematch between the Bombers and the Panthers was held at UC's Nippert Stadium, attended by upwards of 20,000. The Panther defense held the Bombers scoreless for the first three quarters, while the offense built a 17-0 lead on TDs by O'Conner and Coffaro and a 37-yard Miliano field goal. But St. Xavier scored twice within six minutes in the fourth quarter to make the score 17-14. Miller and the Panthers controlled the ball for the remaining three minutes to seal the victory. Next, the Panthers would face Anderson who had defeated Middletown earlier in the day.

How do you know that until you host another Elder-X or Elder-Colerain game there? In 2009 just 10 years ago, Elder-X regional semi-final game drew upwards to 20,000.

Again, Elder doesn't even sell out their own stadium for a playoff game (and hasn't for years).

LOL, right on cue. They can't help themselves.

Imagine if they lose - it will be the refs fault or the venues fault - another common denominator excuse over the years.

The rabid purple contingent is a fascinating case study.

I don't think ANYONE on here blamed the refs or the venue getting beat bad by Colerain. You are a joke.

You're being sarcastic here right?

Mason is clearly a much better choice then FF, Elder or Colerain. And with X playig that night hosting a playoff game seems dumb and unfair to X folks who would have to work the stadium and miss the game.
The people that work football games do it for a few extra bucks. They don't get to watch the games anyway. How do ticket takers or concession workers watch the game?

No you are not.

I'm a fan of the Elder sports programs. Tough kids and coaches that get the most out of their talent. They have everyone's respect.

Not a huge fan of their fans or the administration that allows their fans' continued entitlement. They're over-board annoying and myopic. Everything not purple colored is "wrong". Their fans think Elder is the gold standard that everyone must bow down to.

I'm a fan of the Elder sports programs. Tough kids and coaches that get the most out of their talent. They have everyone's respect.

Not a huge fan of their fans or the administration that allows their fans' continued entitlement. They're over-board annoying and myopic. Everything not purple colored is "wrong". Their fans think Elder is the gold standard that everyone must bow down to.

Where do you think those tough kids came from? From the very people you despise.

Colerain/X games don't sell out anywhere else so why would they draw anywhere near 20,000 at Nippert.

Actually the key word for both the OHSAA and UC is money. It's a business deal for both and it has to work for both.

Your fans simply do not travel like they did before. (heck, apparently they don't even fill the Pit for home games anymore as well)

Why is that so hard to understand?

Colerain/X games don't sell out anywhere else so why would they draw anywhere near 20,000 at Nippert.

I was talking about Elder-X or Elder-Colerain. Elder always brought a large crowd and the X/Colerain always brought good crowd too. Combine them and that's how they always got the 15,000-20,000 number. I remember an X-Colerain playoff game at PBS that had a huge crowd.

I know it is the general thought that week 12 and beyond MUST be on turf, but does anyone have that regulation in print?

I was told a year to two ago that the St Henry vs Marion Local game was talked about being held in Coldwater but was not agreed upon by both schools so it was then officially at a turf field (Sidney I think)

Actually the key word for both the OHSAA and UC is money. It's a business deal for both and it has to work for both.

Your fans simply do not travel like they did before. (heck, apparently they don't even fill the Pit for home games anymore as well)

Why is that so hard to understand?

The PIT was plenty full against teams from out of town that brought very few fans. The round 1 playoff game was a little disappointing for Elder fans, but the cold weather and the game being live on spectrum kept a lot of fair weather fans away.

Now, I do understand I guess the OHSAA and UC don't want the games apparently. My responses are geared towards the group that don't believe Elder-X at Nippert would draw 15,000-20,000 like it used to.