Ohio State Football 2023

The “don’t pan out” definitely applies to McCord as of right now. He was a top 50 recruit and in the system for 3 years and was just slightly above average for the year and bad in the biggest game of the year, making the same mistakes against Michigan as he did in the first few weeks of the season.

Not upgrading your roster because of the possibility of risking some recruits to lose faith is what programs like Kentucky or Cincinnati worry about. If OSU wants to be Alabama and Georgia, you upgrade your roster and figure out a way to explain it off to future recruits - and frankly it’s an easy explanation in this situation.
Let the QB be at least a little bit of a threat to run the ball. If they can tuck the ball and run for an easy first down, there is no excuse not to.

To me, the real problem is OSU doesn't do a good job of evaluating the QB position. Looks like to me they let a Heisman get away in Burrow.
If Burrow stayed at Ohio State would Day try to protect him like he did Stroud?

Not due to the position group(s) he could or has coached.

Hawkeyes have I believe 10 OL and TEs currently starting in the NFL with another 5 as backups and practice squad guys. That's extremely good given the overall caliber of their program and how inept their offense is. Iowa has more current NFL players rostered and starting at those position groups than Ohio State does.
You would think they would be able to run the ball better with all of that being true. Just seems risky. OSU needs an elite coach who can also recruit at an elite level. I know those coaches don’t grow on trees but this is OSU. You have to find and get them

A bit beyond competition when you shelf a guy who didn’t play poorly his first year as a starter
“Didn’t play poorly” as a junior isn’t good enough at Ohio State. 🤷🏻‍♂️ it’s beat Michigan and Championship or bust. This isn’t Wisconsin or South Carolina.

IMG_1562.jpeg

Stalions envy?

Let the QB be at least a little bit of a threat to run the ball. If they can tuck the ball and run for an easy first down, there is no excuse not to.
Day comes from the school of thought that your QB takes no shots, which means no use in the run game. Any defensive guy will tell you that is a God send of a concept as they now do not have to defend 11. Day also subscribes to the system where the WRs go out of bounds rather than take shots, walk everywhere to conserve energy, and are lazy as F away from the ball. I believe this takes away urgency and physical and mental toughness.

Since Meyer handed the offensive keys to Day (as OC) with Haskins the Q run game has become almost non existent which was always a centerpiece of any Urban playbook. I'm not saying you have to run the QB all of the time but even 3-5 times a game poses a threat which must be prepped for and defended.

If Arkansas can bring back Petrino as OC years after an embarrassing scandal that resulted in him being fired as head coach, then Ohio State needs to say f it and try to replace Fleming's useless rear end with Tressel or Urban if they want to keep that spot as just the special teams coordinator with no other positional responsibilities.

Omari Abor is supposedly entering the transfer portal. That's a massive loss considering how bad edge recruiting has been
Regardless of positional strength, this is a big hit IMO considering the kid is from the most talent rich high school in Texas (Duncanville). That school is a talent gold mine.

As long as there aren't any major lingering injury concerns, I'd think this is probably a lock for Texas. Another highly rated edge player in the 2024 class from Duncanville is committed to the Longhorns.

LOL as well. Who'd you rather have as your QB? I'd take Burrow every time.
Burrow left before Fields or Stroud were at OSU. And Burrow left OSU before Day was HC. To say OSU does a bad job evaluating QB's is dumb. Back to back QB's that were drafted in NFL in rd. 1 top 11 how many other college programs can say that.

Burrow left before Fields or Stroud were at OSU. And Burrow left OSU before Day was HC. To say OSU does a bad job evaluating QB's is dumb. Back to back QB's that were drafted in NFL in rd. 1 top 11 how many other college programs can say that.
Well …

Bama went Hurts-Tua-Mac Jones-Bryce Young.

Oklahoma went Mayfield-Kyler-Hurts.

UNC went Trubisky-Howell-Drake Maye.

Then call me dumb, no hard feelings. All I'm saying is you let a Heisman winner transfer. Take it anyway you want.

Well …

Bama went Hurts-Tua-Mac Jones-Bryce Young.

Oklahoma went Mayfield-Kyler-Hurts.

UNC went Trubisky-Howell-Drake Maye.
So not too many teams. And OSU went Haskins, Fields, Stroud all in the top 15 again OSU has proven to do a good job evaluating QB's and Burrow was injured at OSU which gave Haskins the edge plus Haskins had a pretty good college career.

Then call me dumb, no hard feelings. All I'm saying is you let a Heisman winner transfer. Take it anyway you want.
What was OSU supposed to do say no that would have stopped JB. Burrow broke his hand at OSU and Haskins became the QB a 1st rd. draft pick himself.

Edit: Not calling you dumb just the comment, but I should have used a better choice of words.

Last edited:
It’s easy to say you’d take Burrow with the power of hindsight. Looking solely at 2018, OSU made the right call. Burrow was straight up average that year while Haskins had the best passing season in OSU history and was a Heisman finalist. OSU losses 3+ in 2018 if they pick Burrow over Haskins.