Ohio State Football 2023

It’s easy to say you’d take Burrow with the power of hindsight. Looking solely at 2018, OSU made the right call. Burrow was straight up average that year while Haskins had the best passing season in OSU history and was a Heisman finalist. OSU losses 3+ in 2018 if they pick Burrow over Haskins.
Burrow said himself if he had not got a 5th year (red shirt at OSU) he may never had been drafted.

Lol @ Marv trolling BTN. On the TTUN loss: "My biggest goal this year was to beat them and make it to the Big Ten Championship and that didn't happen. We'll see what happens next year." And the clear follow-up given his response: "I'm not decided on anything just yet. I'll take it one day at a time and see how this plays out."

Lol @ Marv trolling BTN. On the TTUN loss: "My biggest goal this year was to beat them and make it to the Big Ten Championship and that didn't happen. We'll see what happens next year." And the clear follow-up given his response: "I'm not decided on anything just yet. I'll take it one day at a time and see how this plays out."
MH is one of my all-time favorite Buckeyes.

If there ever was a guy who would defy all the odds and come back it’s Marv. It would be hilarious

Congratulations to Tommy:

Well good for Mr. Eichenberg. Nice to see an "old school" football player earn accolades.

Other Big Ten awards for Ohio State

I am sure the Bucks would rather be playing for a championship, but the awards show the talent level at State.

It’s easy to say you’d take Burrow with the power of hindsight. Looking solely at 2018, OSU made the right call. Burrow was straight up average that year while Haskins had the best passing season in OSU history and was a Heisman finalist. OSU losses 3+ in 2018 if they pick Burrow over Haskins.
Ohio State's defense was awful in 2018 (hello, Alex Grinch). They were 51st in scoring defense and 72nd in total defense.

They don't go 13-1 without having exceptional QB play and a high scoring offense that year. Dwayne Haskins led the country in passing yards, passing TDs, and points responsible for.

I think time has a way of making folks forget they won four games by 5 points or less in 2018. If Joey B. played at his 2018 LSU level for Ohio State that year, the 2018 Buckeyes probably would have gone 8-4 or 9-3 due to their defensive weaknesses.

All teams are not created equal in terms of togetherness and oneness. There are lots of disjointed teams out there and it tends to show up at critical points in a game.

I don't think you can manufacture or coach togetherness. On a typical team, you have groups of friends, mostly within units or roommates, and there are individuals and groups that don't particularly like each other. Sometimes they despise each other. I've seen some exceptional player leaders be able to bring different guys and groups together, or at least lead them to set their issues with each other aside to pursue team goals.

The highest degree of togetherness, unfortunately, is usually the result of a tragedy or some awful challenge. In 2014, I don't think Ohio St was playing at a national championship level until the week of the scUM game when a walk-on DT went missing. A day later they found him in a dumpster, dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Suddenly, despite playing with a troubled QB who didn't come to play school, after mourning together they beat the crap out of Wisky, beat Bama, and thumped Oregon.

I think scUM has togetherness due to what they perceive as the persecution of their coach and everyone being against them. Whether that's real or imagined, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that they believe it and it has caused them to circle the wagons and fight for each other. That's powerful in terms of team dynamics. It elevates a teams level of focus and play. Effort goes up a notch. A higher purpose than doing it for myself is a powerful force in team sports and scUM looks like they have it.

I'd bet Ohio State's preparation was excellent. I suspect they weren't quite as together as their opponent was. FWIW
Michigan's purpose was also elevated when their lineman got hurt.

Well done Tommy! I have this odd suspicion Marv is coming back. The bowl practice comment was even more telling. It doesn't make sense, but, look at his Dad....what a good guy he was on top of a hall of famer. Same here

I was referring to his dad being a good guy.

From his Wikipedia page(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Harrison):
Harrison was sued in a civil lawsuit by Dwight Dixon, a convicted drug dealer, after Dixon was shot outside Chuckie's Garage, a North Philadelphia business owned by Harrison, on April 29, 2008.[48][49] The two men had been in a fight minutes prior to the shooting over something that happened a few weeks earlier when Dixon and Harrison got into a verbal argument after Harrison denied Dixon entry into Playmakers, a sports bar owned and operated by Harrison. Dixon alleged that Harrison was the gunman who shot at him. On January 6, 2009, Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham confirmed the gun that fired shots at Dixon was the same model as Harrison's gun but said they had been unable to determine who pulled the trigger.[50]

Abraham also said that she was not going to pursue charges in the case due to conflicting witness statements. In fact, within a week of the first shooting, Marvin Harrison was not considered a suspect.[51] Dixon, who had initially given the police a false name and claimed he was robbed by two men when interviewed at the hospital,[52] was then convicted of filing a false report for the incident on January 28, 2009. Dixon was sentenced to six months probation. His attorney reportedly sought a new trial; the conviction violated Dixon's parole in an unrelated case.[53] Harrison was also sued by Robert Nixon, a victim who was caught in the crossfire of the shooting who identified Harrison as the shooter in a statement to the police.[54]

Dixon died on July 21, 2009 after he was shot several times while he was in his car outside a building two blocks away from the sports bar. At the hospital after the shooting, detectives questioned Dixon before surgery. He asserted that it stemmed from the Harrison incident a year prior and that Harrison had hired a gunman to shoot him. An informant also made a statement to the effect that the gunman who killed Dixon was Lonnie Harrison, Marvin Harrison's cousin. On June 16, 2010, Shaun Assael of ESPN The Magazine reported that police confiscated a 9mm handgun from Harrison during a routine traffic stop on Wednesday in Philadelphia. They tested the gun to see if it matched three spent 9mm shell casings found inside the truck driven by Dwight Dixon at the scene of an April 2008 shooting. Dixon's claim, he was now deceased, was that the casings came from a second gun which Marvin Harrison fired. Authorities had already matched other bullets to a separate gun which Harrison owns—which he claimed was in his home on the day of the shooting. The police found the gun during a search of Harrison's Escalade. Harrison was stopped as he was driving the wrong way on a one-way street.

Harrison claimed he did not have a gun. But the police believed that they saw Harrison put what appeared to be a weapon in the center console between the two front seats. They concluded that they had probable cause to search the vehicle and they found the gun however Harrison was not charged.[55] Another incident occurred in 2014 when Harrison narrowly escaped a Philadelphia shooting.[56]

Strange allegations for someone who had a long, successful career in the NFL.

What some of you will be happy to read:

I will be, OSU defense the last 2 years have created zero turnovers vs TTUN, hard to beat good teams when you don't force turnovers. 2ndly 5 man defense is not a good defense vs run teams. Bengals employ the same defense also have trouble stopping run 1st teams and Bengals like the Buckeyes have trouble defending the TE.

Other Big Ten awards for Ohio State

I am sure the Bucks would rather be playing for a championship, but the awards show the talent level at State.
Sure, but TTUN had 14 players make ALL BIG 1st, 2nd team, or 3rd team, OSU had 13 if I counted correctly. Overall talent between the two teams was fairly even though TTUN had no one close to Marvin Harrison but neither do the Buckeyes. In fact, if you look at next year's NFL draft Harrison is the only lock to be drafted in the top ten, and maybe Burke later in the 1st rd. I would be surprised if JT or Egbuka get drafted in the 1st. rd. Last year 6 Buckeyes were drafted this year most likely a similar no. These OSU teams under Day are not as talented as the Meyer teams or not being developed as well except at QB and receiver.

Sure, but TTUN had 14 players make ALL BIG 1st, 2nd team, or 3rd team, OSU had 13 if I counted correctly. Overall talent between the two teams was fairly even though TTUN had no one close to Marvin Harrison but neither do the Buckeyes. In fact, if you look at next year's NFL draft Harrison is the only lock to be drafted in the top ten, and maybe Burke later in the 1st rd. I would be surprised if JT or Egbuka get drafted in the 1st. rd. Last year 6 Buckeyes were drafted this year most likely a similar no. These OSU teams under Day are not as talented as the Meyer teams or not being developed as well except at QB and receiver.
Yeah, even Myers teams in 2016, 2017, and 2018 fit the mold where highly regarded recruiting classes seemed not to be developed to play at their full potential.

Posted in another thread, but Keenan Bailey has interviewed for the Eastern Carolina OC job. Likely looking to parlay Stover's success this year into a new gig.

Agree. I would hope the administration can easily match the $$$, and perhaps carve out a larger role for him here. Hartline 2.0.
Yes. Get garbage people like Parker Fleming, Knowles and Frye OUT. Keep the rest although Larry Johnson is teetering that line now