Ohio State Football 2023

He never established possession adequately.

as you say, if possession is established in the field of play, merely crossing the smallest part of the ball, barely across the inside face of the wide white line is all you need, but that didn’t happen. He didn’t establish possession in the end zone, either, the other way that that’s a legitimate touchdown.

The only opinions that matter saw it differently.

I seriously don’t know how people bet on these games anymore, though, unless it’s on a hot tip from an insider, like betting the trotters
I mean, can't argue with that. I saw it differently, but I wear glasses and I'm due for a check up. Lol.

Despite all of these fits being thrown that Day can't coach a big game or McCord is hopelessly terrible, that game hinged on a handful of plays. Maybe just one or two. If one of those go different, it's impossible to know how that would change the rest of the game.

I think there is something to the scUM (whatever you want to call it) morale/spirit/purpose/unity may have helped them focus and execute. But that's not quantifiable. Ohio St wanted to win that game bad and gave great effort. But it does feel like scUM had a little something extra going for them.

I tend to look at what my team had control over and that causes me to notice the 1 big mistake the OSU QB/offense had and inconsistent execution vs the no big mistakes and better execution of the other offense - as well as the failure of the OSU defense to get off the field on that 7 min drive.

Still, back in Aug, if you tell us that our team is 11-0 and has the ball on the scUM 35 yard line with 30 sec left with a chance to win The Game, the B1G, and get a playoff berth if they can score, do we take that? Heck yeah. I do. It means we have had a great season and it could be historic - depending on that last 30 sec.

I just can't woulda, shoulda, coulda too much. We were right there in position, despite some mistakes and failures. I just can't damn this coach and QB for being human and falling just short.

All I know the teams with 5 wins and needing number 6 to become bowl eligible were talked about not because they will get some great bowl game if they get 6 but to the fact they get X number of practices which the people in the know claim will help them the following season. What do I know just repeating what I heard.

I mean, can't argue with that. I saw it differently, but I wear glasses and I'm due for a check up. Lol.

Despite all of these fits being thrown that Day can't coach a big game or McCord is hopelessly terrible, that game hinged on a handful of plays. Maybe just one or two. If one of those go different, it's impossible to know how that would change the rest of the game.

I think there is something to the scUM (whatever you want to call it) morale/spirit/purpose/unity may have helped them focus and execute. But that's not quantifiable. Ohio St wanted to win that game bad and gave great effort. But it does feel like scUM had a little something extra going for them.

I tend to look at what my team had control over and that causes me to notice the 1 big mistake the OSU QB/offense had and inconsistent execution vs the no big mistakes and better execution of the other offense - as well as the failure of the OSU defense to get off the field on that 7 min drive.

Still, back in Aug, if you tell us that our team is 11-0 and has the ball on the scUM 35 yard line with 30 sec left with a chance to win The Game, the B1G, and get a playoff berth if they can score, do we take that? Heck yeah. I do. It means we have had a great season and it could be historic - depending on that last 30 sec.

I just can't woulda, shoulda, coulda too much. We were right there in position, despite some mistakes and failures. I just can't damn this coach and QB for being human and falling just short.
The offense had us back to even in the second half. So the pick early in the first was mostly negated. This is why we lost. last 3 years, 2nd half Michigan possessions, excluding end of the game kneeldowns - 14 total possessions, 9TDs, 3FGs, 1 missed FG, 1 punt. The defense has to get better at getting off the field. This year they didn't punt in the second half.

Michigan was better prepared and executed better. Doing this with less talent is a testament to their coaching.

He never established possession adequately.

as you say, if possession is established in the field of play, merely crossing the smallest part of the ball, barely across the inside face of the wide white line is all you need, but that didn’t happen. He didn’t establish possession in the end zone, either, the other way that that’s a legitimate touchdown.

The only opinions that matter saw it differently.

I seriously don’t know how people bet on these games anymore, though, unless it’s on a hot tip from an insider, like betting the trotters
Agree. There really isn't any doubt had it been called a pick on the field, it wouldn't have been overturned.

All I know the teams with 5 wins and needing number 6 to become bowl eligible were talked about not because they will get some great bowl game if they get 6 but to the fact they get X number of practices which the people in the know claim will help them the following season. What do I know just repeating what I heard.
It all builds on itself if you’re doing it right. Makes sense to me

The offense had us back to even in the second half. So the pick early in the first was mostly negated. This is why we lost. last 3 years, 2nd half Michigan possessions, excluding end of the game kneeldowns - 14 total possessions, 9TDs, 3FGs, 1 missed FG, 1 punt. The defense has to get better at getting off the field. This year they didn't punt in the second half.

Michigan was better prepared and executed better. Doing this with less talent is a testament to their coaching.
All teams are not created equal in terms of togetherness and oneness. There are lots of disjointed teams out there and it tends to show up at critical points in a game.

I don't think you can manufacture or coach togetherness. On a typical team, you have groups of friends, mostly within units or roommates, and there are individuals and groups that don't particularly like each other. Sometimes they despise each other. I've seen some exceptional player leaders be able to bring different guys and groups together, or at least lead them to set their issues with each other aside to pursue team goals.

The highest degree of togetherness, unfortunately, is usually the result of a tragedy or some awful challenge. In 2014, I don't think Ohio St was playing at a national championship level until the week of the scUM game when a walk-on DT went missing. A day later they found him in a dumpster, dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Suddenly, despite playing with a troubled QB who didn't come to play school, after mourning together they beat the crap out of Wisky, beat Bama, and thumped Oregon.

I think scUM has togetherness due to what they perceive as the persecution of their coach and everyone being against them. Whether that's real or imagined, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that they believe it and it has caused them to circle the wagons and fight for each other. That's powerful in terms of team dynamics. It elevates a teams level of focus and play. Effort goes up a notch. A higher purpose than doing it for myself is a powerful force in team sports and scUM looks like they have it.

I'd bet Ohio State's preparation was excellent. I suspect they weren't quite as together as their opponent was. FWIW

All teams are not created equal in terms of togetherness and oneness. There are lots of disjointed teams out there and it tends to show up at critical points in a game.

I don't think you can manufacture or coach togetherness. On a typical team, you have groups of friends, mostly within units or roommates, and there are individuals and groups that don't particularly like each other. Sometimes they despise each other. I've seen some exceptional player leaders be able to bring different guys and groups together, or at least lead them to set their issues with each other aside to pursue team goals.

The highest degree of togetherness, unfortunately, is usually the result of a tragedy or some awful challenge. In 2014, I don't think Ohio St was playing at a national championship level until the week of the scUM game when a walk-on DT went missing. A day later they found him in a dumpster, dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Suddenly, despite playing with a troubled QB who didn't come to play school, after mourning together they beat the crap out of Wisky, beat Bama, and thumped Oregon.

I think scUM has togetherness due to what they perceive as the persecution of their coach and everyone being against them. Whether that's real or imagined, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that they believe it and it has caused them to circle the wagons and fight for each other. That's powerful in terms of team dynamics. It elevates a teams level of focus and play. Effort goes up a notch. A higher purpose than doing it for myself is a powerful force in team sports and scUM looks like they have it.

I'd bet Ohio State's preparation was excellent. I suspect they weren't quite as together as their opponent was. FWIW
Great angle and point. I think we sometimes forget about this aspect that can have such a profound effect on a team.

Harbaugh might be a nut, but he is good coach, took the 49er's to the SB with Kirkpatrick, did well at Stanford, some times you have to give the other team and HC credit. I read somewhere TTUN had 44 srs. this season no wonder the weasel's had a good year.

I read somewhere TTUN had 44 srs. this season no wonder the weasel's had a good year.
FWIW, I remember folks on here after the 2021 game talking about how Michigan had a one-year edge that year due to having an extremely veteran-laden team with a bunch of 5th-year seniors. The thought among many was Ohio State would reassert control in 2022 and going forward. That hasn’t come to pass.

FWIW, I remember folks on here after the 2021 game talking about how Michigan had a one-year edge that year due to having an extremely veteran-laden team with a bunch of 5th-year seniors. The thought among many was Ohio State would reassert control in 2022 and going forward. That hasn’t come to pass.
It will, when Tressel took over Carr was H.C at TTUN, timing is everything, Harbaugh is a better H.C. than Carr. Who knows if JH will even be coaching college next year.

Last edited:
Harbaugh might be a nut, but he is good coach, took the 49er's to the SB with Kirkpatrick, did well at Stanford, some times you have to give the other team and HC credit. I read somewhere TTUN had 44 srs. this season no wonder the weasel's had a good year.
Yep. I was giving him his due after last season. But then the cheating came up, and then Saturday happened.

They say the loser of the Louisville and Florida State in the Orange
If Louisville wins they go to Orange Bowl. Florida St wins they are probably in the playoff. With A loss Louisville won’t qualify. Most likely it would be Missouri or Ole Miss (whomever is rated higher)

To all those blaming the D, BS.
Either tOSU offensive weapons are elite, or they are dog crap.
I think they are elite. Watch where they get drafted.
tOSU game plan and play calling was elementary school level. One stinking crossing route, and it went for a TD. The short middle was open all day. Day needs to stay out of the offense, both schemes and play calling.
I miss those days of maybe losing one game you shouldn’t but beating ttun.

To all those blaming the D, BS.
Either tOSU offensive weapons are elite, or they are dog crap.
I think they are elite. Watch where they get drafted.
tOSU game plan and play calling was elementary school level. One stinking crossing route, and it went for a TD. The short middle was open all day. Day needs to stay out of the offense, both schemes and play calling.
I miss those days of maybe losing one game you shouldn’t but beating ttun.
27 - 24 8 min. left in the game, OSU does not get the ball back till 1 min. left no TO's yes, the defense lost the game. TTUN never punted in the 2nd half yes, the defense lost in the game. The interception in the 1st half was on the offense but how about a defense that could have forced a FG instead of giving up a TD and the special teams were not so special another miss at a makeable FG. Sure, OSU could have maybe outscored TTUN but for once how about a defense that holds scum under 20 pts or at least stop the weasels once in a while in the 2nd half of games.

Edit: Offense can't score if it doesn't have the football.

Last edited:
If Louisville wins they go to Orange Bowl. Florida St wins they are probably in the playoff. With A loss Louisville won’t qualify. Most likely it would be Missouri or Ole Miss (whomever is rated higher)
I actually looked it up and the Orange Bowl is contracted to take an ACC school. I thought the school‘s ranking had to be a certain number. So that basically locks Louisville win or lose in

If Louisville wins that is one of the pieces the Buckeyes need to back in. If Washington wins, Georgia wins and Louisville wins the committee will have the choice between Texas and tOSU. Texas lost to Oklahoma, Bucks to Michigan. Eye test? Texas may lose to Okie St as both teams are pretty inconsistent. Now saying all that, the Buckeyes don’t deserve to be in so if they take Texas I’m fine with it. Georgias going to win it all anyway

How does Jbook have a job with OSU sports media? He never adds anything, he isn't an insider, and he only piggy backs off of other peoples information.