Ohio State Football 2023

Fact is this game (OSU vs TTUN) has been close at halftime the last 3 years (23 and 21 same half score), TTUN has made halftime adjustments OSU has not, coaching does matter. Harbaugh and his staff are better game coaches than Day and his staff esp. Knowles.

@IVCguy I am not a rules expert, but CBS, NBC, ABC/ESPN, and FOX all had their rules expert analysts weigh in on the call and they all agreed that they saw it as OSU ball/touchback and I will difer to their judgement. So are you saying every rules analyst was mistaken?
If they are saying that a runner crossing the goal line must secure the ball to the ground after crossing the plane, yes. If they are saying he didn't have control of the ball crossing the goal line, I merely disagree. I think the replay, in regular or slow mo, shows firm control as the ball crosses the plane

With so many players choosing to sit out, it is a scrimmage where non-starters are auditioning. What does it count for? If it is not a playoff game what are they playing for? I can tell you who played in the playoffs last year. The other bowls? No, I really didn't care who played who or who won.
Just because players sit out doesn’t mean the games don’t count. Injuries happen in the regular season and players are held out intentionally especially by Ryan Day in the case with Tommy Eichenberg. Should those games not count then too?

I'm talking about OSU time management on their scoring drive.
You will have to explain. Again, they were down 10. They drove down and scored to cut the lead to 3 with 8 min left. Their time mgt on that drive would seem irrelevant to me. Their defense allowing a 7 min drive would be the problematic factor.

You are going to have to explain how their time mgt on their scoring drive was relevant, then perhaps I can give you a good answer

Regardless of whether it should have been six or an INT, that pass was the Websters dictionary definition of “perfect.”

McCord was coined a “JAG” earlier in the year Just Another Guy and there is some truth to that. There is also some truth to this was his first year as the signal caller. I think for many and myself at times, I need to remind myself of that. We have become so accustomed to Buckeye QB’s elevating to another level against TTUN and seeing McCord not do that isn’t natural to us.

there is something to say about the overall teams as well. Michigan made things happen when they needed to. Whether it was 1 guy or all 11, they were clutch and the Buckeyes were not.

I too was expecting an aggressive Day and reality wasn’t even close. For a second I thought the buckeyes were going to go for the 4th and 1, then they punt it.

If they are saying that a runner crossing the goal line must secure the ball to the ground after crossing the plane, yes. If they are saying he didn't have control of the ball crossing the goal line, I merely disagree. I think the replay, in regular or slow mo, shows firm control as the ball crosses the plane
I don't recall the exact explanation each analyst gave just that each said it should have been OSU ball at the 20, and they dedinitely did not see it as a TD.

Hey we won the Wagon Wheel for the first time since like 2011 or something like that this year. The photos in my profile and banner are actually from the last time Akron beat Kent State at Infocision.
I was at that game. A great comeback. Thank God for the basketball team.

Reactions: y2h
Just because players sit out doesn’t mean the games don’t count. Injuries happen in the regular season and players are held out intentionally especially by Ryan Day in the case with Tommy Eichenberg. Should those games not count then too?
They are still playing for something during the season. A league championship and a shot at being in the play-offs. What are they playing for in a bowl game? What is the prize? What do they give up if they lose? The bowl games have been minimized since the playoffs were created. When they go to a 12 team playoffs next year, what will be the interest in any other games?

Last edited:
I don't recall the exact explanation each analyst gave just that each said it should have been OSU ball at the 20, and they dedinitely did not see it as a TD.
Well, I believe in my core that officials never determine the outcome of a game. They generally make the right calls, but when they make an error, it may help a little or they present you with something to overcome. But players take thousands of actions in a game and coaches make hundreds of decisions. If a ref has the chance to hurt you with a bad call, it means that you didn't play well enough to prevent one call from causing you to lose.

The most egregious thing I saw was (I think in the 1st half) was JTT beat the left tackle, JJ rolled out to his right and the LT was riding JTT's back with his arms around his neck. After I saw that, I was like, "They have thrown offensive holding out of the rulebook today". I have no problem with it because they did it for both teams.

You will have to explain. Again, they were down 10. They drove down and scored to cut the lead to 3 with 8 min left. Their time mgt on that drive would seem irrelevant to me. Their defense allowing a 7 min drive would be the problematic factor.

You are going to have to explain how their time mgt on their scoring drive was relevant, then perhaps I can give you a good answer
They needed 2 scores. You need to lengthen the game. Situational awareness is part of the game. Day needs better awareness during the games. Can you point out a complete game OSU played this year?

Regardless of whether it should have been six or an INT, that pass was the Websters dictionary definition of “perfect.”

McCord was coined a “JAG” earlier in the year Just Another Guy and there is some truth to that. There is also some truth to this was his first year as the signal caller. I think for many and myself at times, I need to remind myself of that. We have become so accustomed to Buckeye QB’s elevating to another level against TTUN and seeing McCord not do that isn’t natural to us.

there is something to say about the overall teams as well. Michigan made things happen when they needed to. Whether it was 1 guy or all 11, they were clutch and the Buckeyes were not.

I too was expecting an aggressive Day and reality wasn’t even close. For a second I thought the buckeyes were going to go for the 4th and 1, then they punt it.
Everybody always wants to blame the QB last two years it was Stroud now McCord. The term Honda fit McCord well dependable but not great. McCarthy passed for less than 150 yds. OSU had to make McCarthy beat them but failed to do so. Never adj. in stopping the TE (7 receptions) or the running game in the 2nd half again the 5 D back defense is not going to stop a power running game. I don't know what is going to happen with TTUN during the off season but if Harbaugh is the coach and Knowles is still coaching at OSU (expect so) the result will be the same.

I couldn’t disagree more. This isn’t a “scrimmage” where the game doesn’t count. Like what Ohio State does in basketball when they play somebody like Ashland. This goes in the W/L column. Every game counts whether people like it or not
It doesn’t really matter though. Non-playoff bowl games are so detached from the regular season, with so many opt-outs these days, that it’s hard to find much meaning in those games.

The call on field stood, not confirmed, which are different. But since you are such a ignorant michigan genius you would know that while outcome of play same, it also means if they had called correctly on field, it also wouldn't have been overturned
first of all , i'm not a michigan fan. secondly if the call was not confirmed it would have been over turned. you are just parsing words in a feeble attempt to promote your narrative that OSU got cheated. the better team won and you don't like it.

People keep blaming McCord and not enough blame to the run defense. I’ve said all year the run defense isn’t where it needs to be to beat a team like Michigan. They do not create negative run plays and get teams off schedule with sacks either. Just a very vanilla/soft defensive called style by Knowles.

The scary thing is that teams like Alabama or Georgia will run blitz the hell out of Michigan and force them to throw against tight man coverage.

It doesn’t really matter though. Non-playoff bowl games are so detached from the regular season, with so many opt-outs these days, that it’s hard to find much meaning in those games.
Do they still go in the W/L column? Btw I’ve already addressed how you handle all of the opt outs which IMO would cause less players to sit out.

Was it possible that Michigan had more incentive to win? If things goes as they should, this should be Michigan's last year of relevance for the near future. This season is their last HooRah.

Do they still go in the W/L column? Btw I’ve already addressed how you handle all of the opt outs which IMO would cause less players to sit out.
Sure, it goes in the record books, but at the big-time football factories, fans aren’t hanging their hats on whether they won the Alamo Bowl or Capital One Bowl or often even a NY6 bowl. I personally think these games would mean more if they were played a week or two after the regular season instead of being a month or more removed from the season.

They needed 2 scores. You need to lengthen the game. Situational awareness is part of the game. Day needs better awareness during the games. Can you point out a complete game OSU played this year?
Yes, they needed 2 scores, but my point is that they weren't in time mgt mode. They were in "we have to score" mode.

I would see your point if they finally scored with 2 or 3 min left. But 8 minutes left is plenty of time - unless your defense is going to give up a 7 minute drive. :)

I agree with several of you and I don’t put all the blame on McCord. The run defense failed. The defense as a whole didn’t make one true impact play, our DE’s might as well have sat out of the game. There are a lot of areas to point to. I think what sums their performance up well is the clutch players weren’t playing for the buckeyes and wore maze and blue. Buckeyes made some plays no question, but it wasn’t enough.

So? What difference does it make to the W/L column? They are not playing for home field advantage or first place in their conference. What do they gain for a victory?

Was it possible that Michigan had more incentive to win? If things goes as they should, this should be Michigan's last year of relevance for the near future. This season is their last HooRah.
And OSU was playing for a CFP spot as well as TTUN. And the Bucks are losing a lot of talent after this year. OSU wanted to win this game as much as TTUN.

And OSU was playing for a CFP spot as well as TTUN. And the Bucks are losing a lot of talent after this year. OSU wanted to win this game as much as TTUN.
A cornered rat is a more dangerous rat.
Accuse Grand Theft Auto GIF by Rockstar Games

Both teams were playing for the CFP. I give an edge to Michigan with all the story lines hiding in the shadows, creeping up on them. They really took that and converted it into pure energy and motivation. This very well could be the last time for a while we see Michigan great, I hope it isn’t because while I hate losing three times in a row, the rivalry is back and it makes it so much more than when you “just knew” the buckeyes were getting that W.

Both teams were playing for the CFP. I give an edge to Michigan with all the story lines hiding in the shadows, creeping up on them. They really took that and converted it into pure energy and motivation. This very well could be the last time for a while we see Michigan great, I hope it isn’t because while I hate losing three times in a row, the rivalry is back and it makes it so much more than when you “just knew” the buckeyes were getting that W.
I guess you are grabbing at straws too. 😁

Sure, it goes in the record books, but at the big-time football factories, fans aren’t hanging their hats on whether they won the Alamo Bowl or Capital One Bowl or often even a NY6 bowl. I personally think these games would mean more if they were played a week or two after the regular season instead of being a month or more removed from the season.
Never said that anyone needed to hang their hat on anything. The games still DO count though whether people would like to believe they do not.

As much as I hate to agree with you on anything, you are solid gold on this one. The nose of ball crosses the plane with possession, the ball is dead at that moment, and anything that happens after that does not matter.

That was a TD and the correct call initially and on replay. If they had called it a fumble on the field, replay would have probably let that stand too, but, to me, there was possession when the ball crossed and it dislodged after the plane was broken.

It's a game of inches and fractions of seconds sometimes.
He never established possession adequately.

as you say, if possession is established in the field of play, merely crossing the smallest part of the ball, barely across the inside face of the wide white line is all you need, but that didn’t happen. He didn’t establish possession in the end zone, either, the other way that that’s a legitimate touchdown.

The only opinions that matter saw it differently.

I seriously don’t know how people bet on these games anymore, though, unless it’s on a hot tip from an insider, like betting the trotters

So? What difference does it make to the W/L column? They are not playing for home field advantage or first place in their conference. What do they gain for a victory?
What do they have to gain? Well a win for one and not a loss. The way you and a few others are speaking make it seem like every game is completely irrelevant outside of the playoff. If that were true then why should any team no longer in playoff consideration even step on the field if they are no longer in playoff contention?

Wrong the rules analysts on all 3 other channels all said the correct call should have been overturned to an interception/touchback.
The rules analyst on FOX said the correct call also should have been an interception but he expected the call to stand.
Just because he expected the call to stand does not mean it was the correct call. He said if it would have been called originally as an interception it would have been an interception.
As one channel's rules analyst put it, there was evidence to possibly have the call overturned to an interception, but if the call had been the other way on the field there was absolutely no evidence to have it reversed to a TD.

I bet you didn't even watch what the other channels said about the call.
This