Ohio Heritage Conference 2023

There is a difference between running up the score with varsity and the JV being better than some teams varsity squads... IMO. I remember when NE played Bellefontaine in 1999 they were up on us 40-0 in the 3rd Quarter and Wass put the JV squad in with 2-3 minutes left in the 3rd and Bellefontaine kept the varsity in until about 10 minutes left in the 4th. I thought that was pretty cheap for a 10-0 team to do. And stupid because risking injuries. We played 3 10-0 teams that year and that was the beginning of the OHC talk and conference changes for NE.

Last edited:
Trying to remember but our schedule was really tough in 1999. Bishop Ready was 10-0 I believe and I if I remember correctly London and Bellefontaine were both 10-0. Tecumseh 9-1 or 8-2 (Getting beat by Bellefontaine) and Greenon 7-3 getting beat by Bellefontaine and Tecumseh. That Greenon team was basically Southeastern and Greenon combined having 5 or 6 seniors from Southeastern transferring and starting both ways.

Trying to remember but our schedule was really tough in 1999. Bishop Ready was 10-0 I believe and I if I remember correctly London and Bellefontaine were both 10-0. Tecumseh 9-1 or 8-2 (Getting beat by Bellefontaine) and Greenon 7-3 getting beat by Bellefontaine and Tecumseh. That Greenon team was basically Southeastern and Greenon combined having 5 or 6 seniors from Southeastern transferring and starting both ways.
Harbage kids and a couple of others and I think one or two kids from Fairborn? That would have been Tim Carver's first year at Greenon. They were an Clark County all star team that underperformed.

Harbage kids and a couple of others and I think one or two kids from Fairborn? That would have been Tim Carver's first year at Greenon. They were an Clark County all star team that underperformed.
Yeah, they were tackles both ways. I think Mike Pooper was another one and I can't remember the FB/LB.

Certainly at times but
I'm aware, but it's high school football. "Last year" rarely matters. Prime example (using the OHC), Fairbanks beat Triad by 35 in 2021 and then Triad beat Fairbanks by 34 in 20
I'm aware, but it's high school football. "Last year" rarely matters. Prime example (using the OHC), Fairbanks beat Triad by 35 in 2021 and then Triad beat Fairbanks by 34 in 2022.
I disagree that last year “rarely” matters. The math guys would tell you it’s by far the best predictor of future success. I agree that it doesn’t “always” matter.
I don’t know much about Milton and just slightly more about Riverside but will take a team that defeated DIV Valley View (State Final 4) last year and blew out Riverside. Id guess Milton is better than Riverside 80% or more of the time historically. That’s enough for me when blind guessing.
Someone mentioned Greeneview. I was under the impression that Greeneview was pretty loaded. Could be wrong.

There is a difference between running up the score with varsity and the JV being better than some teams varsity squads... IMO. I remember when NE played Bellefontaine in 1999 they were up on us 40-0 in the 3rd Quarter and Wass put the JV squad in with 2-3 minutes left in the 3rd and Bellefontaine kept the varsity in until about 10 minutes left in the 4th. I thought that was pretty cheap for a 10-0 team to do. And stupid because risking injuries. We played 3 10-0 teams that year and that was the beginning of the OHC talk and conference changes for NE.
2-3 minutes left in the 3rd till 10 minutes left in the fourth. That’s 4-5 minutes of game time. Hardly cause for an uproar.

2-3 minutes left in the 3rd till 10 minutes left in the fourth. That’s 4-5 minutes of game time. Hardly cause for an uproar.
They didn't score on our JV. Lol. It was 2 offensive drives. It wasn't an, "uproar". Just giving an example on the subject. And I'm speculating on the times. Been 25 years ago and I'm not that technical.

I wouldn't do it because of risking injury. Plus Bellefontaine JV was pretty much all juniors and our JV was all freshman for the most part. It would be cool if Joe Eital had archives that went back before the 2000 season.

Certainly at times but

I disagree that last year “rarely” matters. The math guys would tell you it’s by far the best predictor of future success. I agree that it doesn’t “always” matter.
I don’t know much about Milton and just slightly more about Riverside but will take a team that defeated DIV Valley View (State Final 4) last year and blew out Riverside. Id guess Milton is better than Riverside 80% or more of the time historically. That’s enough for me when blind guessing.
Someone mentioned Greeneview. I was under the impression that Greeneview was pretty loaded. Could be wrong.
In small school HS football? I’d challenge that and welcome a “chime in” from anyone who can prove otherwise. I’ve seen CBC schools (Bellefontaine included), flip things in 1 year

In small school HS football? I’d challenge that and welcome a “chime in” from anyone who can prove otherwise. I’ve seen CBC schools (Bellefontaine included), flip things in 1 year
I'd say it is a mixture of culture/coaching and having good classes come through. The better the class the more ampt kids that are thinking about playing will suit up. Ben Logan should have won 2 or 3 MRD titles but didn't have the culture. Shawnee has probably won a lot of games they would have lost without a good culture. CBC but all I could think of as examples.

People 35 and older dudes probably remember Burg culture before Coach Kasner... Who did the same thing with Greeneview after the Burg. Albeit he had some of the Honda kids come to the Burg after Marysville/North Lewisburg was already built up with cookie cutter McMansions but still a big change that Forrest has kept going culture wise. Other than 2 good seasons in the 90s Greeneview would have gotten beat by most junior high teams before he came to Jamestown.

I certainly understand “culture.” My post had nothing to do about it. But okay, I’ll give a few more “culture” team swings from last year…

2021 St Henry beat Coldwater by 7
2022 Coldwater beat St Henry by 34

2021 Mechanicsburg beat Greeneview by 25
2022 Greeneview beat Mechanicsburg by 35

I'd say it is a mixture of culture/coaching and having good classes come through. The better the class the more ampt kids that are thinking about playing will suit up. Ben Logan should have won 2 or 3 MRD titles but didn't have the culture. Shawnee has probably won a lot of games they would have lost without a good culture. CBC but all I could think of as examples.
I will agree with Ben Logan. I have never seen a team underachieve more. That team last year should have beaten us by a running clock, but yet we pulled it out.

I would like to see the Wizard contest come back in the Springfield paper. That was always fun to do when I was a kid. Like Pete Rose I never bet against the Jets. 😂
I used to look forward to doing this every week as a kid. I believe I was in 4th or 5th grade the first time I won. Thought it was so awesome as an elementary school kid to get your picture in the sports section along with a short writeup.

I certainly understand “culture.” My post had nothing to do about it. But okay, I’ll give a few more “culture” team swings from last year…

So for every score that flips like that how many do you think stays the same?

Providing anecdotal evidence doesn’t prove a theory. The reality is most poundings continues year after year in Ohio High School football. A portion of them flip, especially among the teams that aren’t as strong.

scores flip much more often at the small school level than they do at larger schools. that’s is because at small schools, all it takes is 1 strong class to roll out a strong team. once they graduate, they could be in the dumps the very next year. things level off more at larger schools. Springfield lost some good players but they will reload. it’s not close to as easy to reload at the D5-7 level.

scores flip much more often at the small school level than they do at larger schools. that’s is because at small schools, all it takes is 1 strong class to roll out a strong team. once they graduate, they could be in the dumps the very next year. things level off more at larger schools. Springfield lost some good players but they will reload. it’s not close to as easy to reload at the D5-7 level.
Unless you are a MAC school like coldwater or Marion Local….but they aren’t the norm

I’m certainly not trying to prove a theory. Just saying it’s more common than you think since you acted like I was insane for saying that I thought Riverside would win the TRC.

I am interested in your running clock research. Tell your wife it’s best for all of us, lol.

I really don’t want to get drug into this but I feel like I’m about to do a deep dive into 2021 running clocks vs 2022 results. My wife is gonna kill me.
I the words of Terrelle Pryor, "...everyone kills people, murders people..." So do your deep dive but remember your wife is within her rights...good luck :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I used to look forward to doing this every week as a kid. I believe I was in 4th or 5th grade the first time I won. Thought it was so awesome as an elementary school kid to get your picture in the sports section along with a short writeup.
I won a few times but always lost the tiebreaker because of being a few points over.

Remember that swing can go both ways. Greenon is a prime example. After Hale took over they were a beat down his first year then won the CBC MR for the next two or three years, then they became a shizz show when he left for an astounding 30+ game losing streak. Jet19 eluded to a time, 99 or 2000, when Greenon had the SE kids and they should have been the cat's meow with the talent, size, speed and moving from a T, veer to the West Coast offense under Carver and they failed miserably. To the point where Minna left his Sr year for Tecumseh and others that did not play or transferred.

Two way street on flipping the switch...just say'n

Unfortunately printed news is kind of a thing of the past as far as sales go. If I'm correct they were doing an online version for a few years? Maybe you should be the new Wizard 🪄? Lol

I really don’t want to get drug into this but I feel like I’m about to do a deep dive into 2021 running clocks vs 2022 results. My wife is gonna kill me.
I know some good divorce lawyers to save you some research time on that after your running clock research. 😂

Unfortunately printed news is kind of a thing of the past as far as sales go. If I'm correct they were doing an online version for a few years? Maybe you should be the new Wizard 🪄? Lol
Hell, my vote is for either nwwarrior09 or ghsknightsfan to run that show...they'll forget more than I know. Their insight and comments would sell papers or subscriptions for the Springfield rag...that is guaranteed.

Hell, my vote is for either nwwarrior09 or ghsknightsfan to run that show...they'll forget more than I know. Their insight and comments would sell papers or subscriptions for the Springfield rag...that is guaranteed.
I used to look forward to the football pullout section every season. My Dad and I would buy a few papers and do the Wizard every Sunday night. You are probably correct on the sales aspect as well. I still buy print occasionally.