Official 2023 D2/R6 Thread

Wow—the onside kick penalty, and the phantom ‘knee is down’ whistle negating Rosol’s long run. Avon dodged a serious bullet

Wow—the onside kick penalty, and the phantom ‘knee is down’ whistle negating Rosol’s long run. Avon dodged a serious bullet
The refs had a bad night all night. Too many conferences after calls. That doesn’t inspire confidence. Onside kick didn’t go ten yards. Both the RB and QB were being pushed way back behind the line of scrimmage and the refs were blowing the whistle for forward progress stopped. Me, I like a play to end on an actual tackle, but the way they protect the QB at every level of football we see plenty of situations like that.

Well that ain't good! Seems like Elder came in and played better than they did with Good in the first half though?
Yeah, but Good presents a running threat that Blake doesn’t. The team obviously pulled together after halftime. Adversity can do that. That regular season win over Falls was an aberration. No way is Avon 42 points better than Falls. Their program is so solid that there is no way this game was going to be easy. Beating Falls has never been easy. Avon survived and gets another game.

The refs had a bad night all night. Too many conferences after calls. That doesn’t inspire confidence. Onside kick didn’t go ten yards. Both the RB and QB were being pushed way back behind the line of scrimmage and the refs were blowing the whistle for forward progress stopped. Me, I like a play to end on an actual tackle, but the way they protect the QB at every level of football we see plenty of situations like that.
QB wasn’t being touched on that play; that kickoff went a perfect ten yards. Another case where probably a deserving officiating crew was blocked from being on a high level game in favor of a less-skilled crew that fit more with the OHSAA ‘good Ol’ boy’ network

QB wasn’t being touched on that play; that kickoff went a perfect ten yards. Another case where probably a deserving officiating crew was blocked from being on a high level game in favor of a less-skilled crew that fit more with the OHSAA ‘good Ol’ boy’ network
If there is a replay, I’ll take a look. Live, the kickoff distance was really hard to judge. The handoff, the backs were pushed way into the backfield and the whistles were blowing to end the play, then the QB spun out. Nobody chased him because the play had been blown dead on forward progress stopped. Hey, I’m old school. I want a tackle to stop a play, not lack of forward progress in the judgment of a ref, but that’s football today. Either way, I thought that crew of officials had a bad night.

Onside kick went through clean and grabbed short of 50 yard line. Ball grabbed next to right knee

Attachments

• IMG_20231111_081309809.jpg
    IMG_20231111_081309809.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 39
Highland keeps rolling with a solid 31-10 win over Anthony Wayne. Avon advances with a tight 33-23 win over their always tough conference rival Olmsted Falls. We are now at the regional final!

3. Highland (11-2) vs 1. Avon (13-0) -- This one is going to depend a lot on the status of the Avon QB for the game. He was first team all-district and is a dual threat. The back up is not a runner and is obviously not as experienced. Falls is very familiar with Avon. Highland is not. Avon wins a close game without Nolan Good at QB, and wins by two scores with him.
Highland has a very solid program and was tough, as always. Avon's young QB was tested and Avon's RB had to work for every yard, but Avon won a tighter game than the final score would indicate. It was a defensive struggle on a not so great weather night. I expect to see Highland back next year with a possible 10-0 team. They lose some talent, but they have some great pieces back for 2024, especially at RB, and they have become a reload program. Avon moves on to face an old nemesis. Winner in bold:

Avon (14-0) vs Hoban (12-1) -- Had Avon gone into this game with Nolan Good at QB, I would take Avon by a TD. Without everything he brings to the table, Avon is not the same offense and the pendulum dramatically swings to the Knights. Avon will battle, and if they catch some unexpected breaks maybe steal a win, but it's not likely.