NWO Baseball Talk 2023

Some windy wild weather late morning. Any updates? Final?
Irish rally came up short, but not bad for facing an entire team of D1 commits and throwing the platoon today.

I will say this is a really good offensive team. Have executed well on the base paths and with the usual small ball stuff. Very solid group of guys.

Irish rally came up short, but not bad for facing an entire team of D1 commits and throwing the platoon today.

I will say this is a really good offensive team. Have executed well on the base paths and with the usual small ball stuff. Very solid group of guys.
You never answered my question on the rotation. Markus, Guerra, Sanchez (?), who else? The Blade has come out with every preview BUT the TRAC.

You never answered my question on the rotation. Markus, Guerra, Sanchez (?), who else? The Blade has come out with every preview BUT the TRAC.
Speak of the devil, they just released it. They have CC 6th lol.

In terms of rotation I think it goes Markus, Guerra, Sanchez, Delp, Bernal. Mehling, Gardner, and Metzger are probably next guys up.

Metzger actually threw 3 innings and gave up 1 run, he probably tops out at 70.

Solid game for CC. If they continue this level of play they're going to be a problem for teams in Division 2.
Walsh does have 7 D1 commits in their senior class alone with 4 other seniors committed to other levels for college baseball (D3, NAIA).

Solid game for CC. If they continue this level of play they're going to be a problem for teams in Division 2.
Walsh does have 7 D1 commits in their senior class alone with 4 other seniors committed to other levels for college baseball (D3, NAIA).
That is insane HS talent and to think Moeller has more. Incredible.

Speak of the devil, they just released it. They have CC 6th lol.

In terms of rotation I think it goes Markus, Guerra, Sanchez, Delp, Bernal. Mehling, Gardner, and Metzger are probably next guys up.

Metzger actually threw 3 innings and gave up 1 run, he probably tops out at 70.
Bernal was the one I could not remember. Thanks.

6th? Whoa. This team could be dangerous especially come playoff time.

Defiance opens the season 3-0 with two close wins over Rossford and BG, and a run-rule of Fairview in week 1.

Defending state champ Northview will take on St. John's today. Should be a good matchup, wouldn't be surprised if it got a little chippy either.

Defending state champ Northview will take on St. John's today. Should be a good matchup, wouldn't be surprised if it got a little chippy either.
seinfeld-jason-alexander.gif

Big ol' TRAC matchup this evening (weather permitting), Clay vs. CC.

This is Central's last game before Florida so I would be willing to bet the Irish throw Markus and Guerra again. I surmise Clay throws Bordeaux if he isn't hurt?

Big ol' TRAC matchup this evening (weather permitting), Clay vs. CC.

This is Central's last game before Florida so I would be willing to bet the Irish throw Markus and Guerra again. I surmise Clay throws Bordeaux if he isn't hurt?
Rained out. Boooooo, hiss.

Central will travel down to Melbourne, Florida to take on perennial powerhouse Eau Gallie and Heritage High School, along with a third opponent to be named later (unfortunately couldn't get Melbourne Central Catholic this year, great program with a great names: the Hustlers). Wishing the Irish safe travels and good luck down south!

CC defeats Heritage (FL) 4-0, Markus with 16K's and a CG! Would definitely like to know what the school record is, 16/21 outs being K's is crazy. They will take on a perennial powerhouse in Eau Gallie who made it to the state Final Four last year with Guerra on the mound for the Irish.

AyCC! factoid of the day: In 2018, CC took on Eau Gallie with future MLB draft pick Carter Stewart on the mound for the Commodores. I think that was the first game I've ever seen where there was an absolute barrage of MLB scouts behind home plate armed with radar guns. Stewart blasted a home run while shutting down the Irish offense (save for a Jase Bowen double) until being replaced in the 7th inning, resulting in Bowen blasting a home run of his own, but the Irish would fall 5-4 (https://spacecoasthighschoolbaseball.com is a great resource!).

Stewart was drafted 8th overall by the Braves, but a wrist injury led to a signing bonus below the draft slot, and he decided to go the JUCO route before eventually ending up in Japan. He currently plays for the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks of the Nippon Professional Baseball. Bowen was drafted in the 11th round by the Pirates and is currently playing for the High-A Greensboro Grasshoppers.

TRAC/NLL BASEBALL ROUNDUP (4/12):
Note: I cross-referenced all of this via MaxPreps, GameChanger (basic subscription, so no stats for me...), ArbiterLive, and school athletic websites. Not all school athletic departments are created equal, so if I missed something, please let me know!!

TRAC
St. John's [2-1] has had some earlier success in season, beating both Northview (3-0) and Anthony Wayne (4-1) in OOC contests. Both games featured sophomore arms on the mound in Tobler and Mattimore, respectively.

Clay [5-2] competed in another PBR event, beating Toronto (7-2) and losing to a loaded Canfield team (14-0). In TRAC action, they defeated Whitmer 12-3 in a combined effort between Stager and Gallaher.

Whitmer [2-1] hasn't been too shabby either, defeating Bryan (5-3) and Northview (11-4).

Findlay [2-2] dropped two to Bowling Green (6-3) and AW (6-1), but the Trojans have bounced back against Lima (7-4) and Ross (5-3). They will take on Clay today.

St. Francis [4-2] beat Fremont Ross (7-1) before playing a slew of games down south, going 2-2. They were victorious against Maumee yesterday. Erd posting an 1.75 ERA for the Knights.

Fremont Ross [3-3] has wins against Rossford (5-1), Fostoria (21-0), and Start (10-0) and losses against SFS (7-1), Oak Harbor (7-6), and Findlay (5-3). Dylan Wright posting a .550 AVG for the Little Giants.

NLL
Springfield [3-4]
went 1-4 in Myrtle Beach, but also beat Findlay (3-2) and dominated Delta (13-0) and Southview (11-2). They take on P-Burg today. They have a lefty arm in Collin Leasure who has some interesting deliveries, going from different arm slots which is sure to confuse batters.

Bowling Green [4-2] has played some pretty good ball as of recent, beating Findlay (6-3), Maumee (12-4), Fordham Prep (7-6) and NDCL (5-4), their only losses being to powerhouse Defiance (3-1) and a good South Range squad (3-13).

Northview [4-4] has had an interesting start to their season. After going 3-2 in Florida, the Wildcats dropped two games to SJJ and Whitmer, before getting a win against Perrysburg (8-4). Alex Dupree has led the Northview bats, being named PBR Ohio's D1 player of the week with a .770 AVG (!!!) through their first couple weeks of coverage.

Perrysburg [4-3] is without TJ Takats, but has so far competed pretty well. After loss to Clay (5-2), the Yellow Jackets went 4-1 in Florida, before losing to Northview in league play.

Anthony Wayne [4-3] went 3-2 down South, and has beat Findlay, but lost to SJJ.

Maumee [3-4] has won against Archbold (9-8), Lake (11-1), and Napoleon (5-2), but lost against Eastwood (6-4), Whitmer, BG, and SFS.

Napoleon [4-2-...1?] is my dark horse to make both the NLL and the district tournament difficult. The Wildcats possess wins against Bryan (12-9), Archbold (11-3), and PG (5-0), a split with Van Wert (11-8, 13-14), a loss to Maumee, and a ...tie? to Wauseon (2-2). [Insert "ties in baseball are un-American" rant here]. They get their second glimpse of NLL action against Northview today.

Southview [3-1] won two games down south, along with a win over Start (6-0), but lost to Springfield in NLL play earlier this season.

Keep an Eye on Them...
Defiance [D2, WBL, 7-`1]
is one of the teams to beat in D2 NWO Baseball. Tom Held has commandeered his team to success year in and year out, and this one should be no different. Led by Bradyn Shaw, Gavino Gomez, The beautifully maintained baseball section of the Defiance High School website shows that the Bulldogs will play several area teams, with them traveling to Toledo Central Catholic and Perrysburg, while also hosting Findlay, Whitmer, and Clay. Both CC and Clay will be interesting games to see play out.

Wapakoneta [D2, WBL, 6-1] is responsible for the sole loss in Defiance's record. That win, along with one over St. Xavier, has show just how dangerous that team can be in the grand scheme of D2 in NWO. A loaded pitching staff comprised of Grant Jolly (0.70 ERA), Taylor Echols (no-no'd Defiance), and Landon Brandt (Indiana St. commit) will make them tough to face come playoff time.

Eastwood [D3, NBC, 8-0] is undefeated thus far. Led by Case Boos, the Eagles are poised to make a playoff run in D3 once more. Eastwood has a pretty tough matchup against D2 #4 Chaminade-Julienne on 4/18, which should gauge as to how they would fare against tougher teams.

Note: I cross-referenced all of this via MaxPreps, GameChanger (basic subscription, so no stats for me...), ArbiterLive, and school athletic websites. Not all school athletic departments are created equal, so if I missed something, please let me know!!

TRAC
St. John's [2-1]
has had some earlier success in season, beating both Northview (3-0) and Anthony Wayne (4-1) in OOC contests. Both games featured sophomore arms on the mound in Tobler and Mattimore, respectively.

Clay [5-2] competed in another PBR event, beating Toronto (7-2) and losing to a loaded Canfield team (14-0). In TRAC action, they defeated Whitmer 12-3 in a combined effort between Stager and Gallaher.

Whitmer [2-1] hasn't been too shabby either, defeating Bryan (5-3) and Northview (11-4).

Findlay [2-2] dropped two to Bowling Green (6-3) and AW (6-1), but the Trojans have bounced back against Lima (7-4) and Ross (5-3). They will take on Clay today.

St. Francis [4-2] beat Fremont Ross (7-1) before playing a slew of games down south, going 2-2. They were victorious against Maumee yesterday. Erd posting an 1.75 ERA for the Knights.

Fremont Ross [3-3] has wins against Rossford (5-1), Fostoria (21-0), and Start (10-0) and losses against SFS (7-1), Oak Harbor (7-6), and Findlay (5-3). Dylan Wright posting a .550 AVG for the Little Giants.

NLL
Springfield [3-4]
went 1-4 in Myrtle Beach, but also beat Findlay (3-2) and dominated Delta (13-0) and Southview (11-2). They take on P-Burg today. They have a lefty arm in Collin Leasure who has some interesting deliveries, going from different arm slots which is sure to confuse batters.

Bowling Green [4-2] has played some pretty good ball as of recent, beating Findlay (6-3), Maumee (12-4), Fordham Prep (7-6) and NDCL (5-4), their only losses being to powerhouse Defiance (3-1) and a good South Range squad (3-13).

Northview [4-4] has had an interesting start to their season. After going 3-2 in Florida, the Wildcats dropped two games to SJJ and Whitmer, before getting a win against Perrysburg (8-4). Alex Dupree has led the Northview bats, being named PBR Ohio's D1 player of the week with a .770 AVG (!!!) through their first couple weeks of coverage.

Perrysburg [4-3] is without TJ Takats, but has so far competed pretty well. After loss to Clay (5-2), the Yellow Jackets went 4-1 in Florida, before losing to Northview in league play.

Maumee [3-4] has won against Archbold (9-8), Lake (11-1), and Napoleon (5-2), but lost against Eastwood (6-4), Whitmer, BG, and SFS.

Napoleon [4-2-...1?] is my dark horse to make both the NLL and the district tournament difficult. The Wildcats possess wins against Bryan (12-9), Archbold (11-3), and PG (5-0), a split with Van Wert (11-8, 13-14), a loss to Maumee, and a ...tie? to Wauseon (2-2). [Insert "ties in baseball are un-American" rant here]. They get their second glimpse of NLL action against Northview today.

Southview [3-1] won two games down south, along with a win over Start (6-0), but lost to Springfield in NLL play earlier this season.
Maumee has also lost to Clay (1-0) and Bryan in 8 innings (5-4). I think they have a solid team and some decent arms but I’m not sure they have any one dominant pitcher. Hoping for a top 4/5 league finish and a possible tourney run.

Springfield beat Perrysburg today to move to 2-0 in league play and Northview also moved to 2-0 by handling Napoleon. Seems like a really open NLL race this year so far but it’s early. Springfield is interesting, their coaches son is a senior I believe so I’m sure they’ve been building with this group for a while and they’re off to a good start. Northview has looked sharp so far coming off a state championship. Anthony Wayne and BG can’t be counted out either.

Last edited:
What's going on over on Lemoyne road? Lake lost to Rossford 26-0? Northwood Varsity decided to play there varsity team against Emmanuel Christian's Junior Varsity and won 35-1? Either way, both of these games seem quite uncalled for and the Northwood game, for a team who is constantly embarrassed to do that to a junior varsity team, just a waste of everyone's time

Northwood Varsity decided to play there varsity team against Emmanuel Christian's Junior Varsity and won 35-1?
EC is only playing a JV schedule right now, so that is their only team, but I agree that beating a team 35-1 is uncalled for unless they had done all they could to stop scoring (pulled starters, stopped stealing, etc.).

The NLL had two games decided by 10+ yesterday and I thought “wow, that’s not good.” then I saw Liberty Benton beat CR by 30, Northwood beat EC by 34, Rossford beat Lake by 26 and Eastwood beat Fostoria by 27. The NLL might be the only league around without a single bad baseball team in the whole league, even the TRAC has Lima Sr.

It looks like Lake isn’t very good for the first time in a while. Eastwood should run away with the NBC, Otsego and Rossford look like they’ll battle for 2nd then Genoa Lake and Elmwood will sort themselves out ahead of Woodmore and Fostoria.

Last edited:

TRAC
St. John's [2-1]
has had some earlier success in season, beating both Northview (3-0) and Anthony Wayne (4-1) in OOC contests. Both games featured sophomore arms on the mound in Tobler and Mattimore, respectively.

NLL
Springfield [3-4]

Nice break down. Clay also had a nice win against St. Eds but who is counting? ;)

Clay had a nice week defeating Whitmer (12-3), Findlay (16-0), and SF (4-1). I believe the Eagles faced each team's ace.

Really looking forward to the Clay/CC/SJ match-ups.

NLL Standings: (spring break trips made the schedule a little odd so far)

Anthony Wayne 2-0
Bowling Green 1-0
Maumee 2-1
Northview 2-1
Springfield 2-1
Perrysburg 1-2
Napoleon 0-2
Southview 0-3

Eastwood wins over C-J, great win for the Eagles (the ones in red and powder blue).

Ottawa Hills over LCC. I will be honest, I wasn't too high on them after graduating a bunch of talented guys, but seeing the wins they've pulled off recently is very interesting. I was also mystified at their loss to TC, but apparently they are playing their B-team in TAAC play (not surprising in a league that only has 4 teams total. Can Jerry Easter throw a baseball?)

Defiance over Eaton. Bulldogs look absolutely unstoppable (with the exception of their sole loss to Wapak, of course!). Jimenez, Shaw, Kiessling, and Gomez are some dudes. All four are two-way guys, will make Defiance an already tough out for any playoff team they face.

Ottawa Hills did that last year with A and B teams. The same team that lost to TC BEAT Hoban and LCC. I think Toledo Christian might just be better than what was expected from them. Ottawa Hills is going to have their hands full with the other 3 TAAC teams this year. Toledo Christian and Stritch only have 1 loss each and Northwood put 35 up on Emmanuel and 4 on Eastwood.

I’d just like to say that not every game is created equal in baseball, unlike most other sports. Pitching is usually the key to winning and a lot can depend on who throws and in what game. Some teams non-conference games are their biggest and toughest games of the year and other teams may be throwing the guys who don’t get innings in league play. Hoban vs OH is a good example of that, not to take anything away from the win but I believe Ottawa Hills only had 5 hits and 13 runs while throwing their ace, Hoban beat SJJ the next day 5-1.