NPR is a biased joke!

MoeDude

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
An NPR editor has reported there are 87 Democrats and 0 Republicans on their editorial staff. WOW like that is surprising but it’s sad and shows how biased their coverage is.

An NPR editor has reported there are 87 Democrats and 0 Republicans on their editorial staff. WOW like that is surprising but it’s sad and shows how biased their coverage is.

That doesn't prove anything. Do you have any articles that indicate a biased slant?

NBC tried to hire a Republican and we saw how that went.

The biggest sin is that we the taxpayer are funding this biased operation.
NBC did hire said Republican.

Do you have any examples of biased, unethical reporting?

Maybe Republicans tend not to make for good journalists. Maybe Republicans tend to not be drawn to journalism. Maybe Republican journalists aren't drawn to NPR.

NPR has an obligation to fair and balanced reporting. They do not have an obligation to meeting a quota. You also cannot ask for political affiliation when hiring.

It's ironic that someone from the group who's moved from CRT to DEI as the battering ram for their racism would cry about this. But that's old white men in a nutshell.

That doesn't prove anything. Do you have any articles that indicate a biased slant?

It kind of does prove something, but even ignoring that, pretty much everyone knows NPR is biased and has been for years. The opinion piece from the 25 year veteran of NPR wasn't about proving there was a historic "biased slant," it's about how they've completely lost their way more recently.

As an aside, the response to the article by NPR just points out how stupid and shallow the idea of diversity really is to some on the left.

Last edited:

Maybe Republicans tend not to make for good journalists. Maybe Republicans tend to not be drawn to journalism. Maybe Republican journalists aren't drawn to NPR.

NPR has an obligation to fair and balanced reporting.

Again, read the opinion piece. Does this sound like they're meeting that obligation: "During a meeting with colleagues, I listened as one of NPR’s best and most fair-minded journalists said it was good we weren’t following the laptop story because it could help Trump."

They do not have an obligation to meeting a quota.

That's literally what they've been doing for years lol.

You also cannot ask for political affiliation when hiring.

And? Are you really implying that it's impossible for someone to find out someone else's political affiliation if they wanted?

It's ironic that someone from the group who's moved from CRT to DEI as the battering ram for their racism would cry about this. But that's old white men in a nutshell.

You really haven't read up on this at all have you? You do realize being old, white and a male doesn't exclude someone from having an opinion. In this case, here's how the "old white guy" at NPR describes himself:

"You know the stereotype of the NPR listener: an EV-driving, Wordle-playing, tote bag–carrying coastal elite. It doesn’t precisely describe me, but it’s not far off. I’m Sarah Lawrence–educated, was raised by a lesbian peace activist mother, I drive a Subaru, and Spotify says my listening habits are most similar to people in Berkeley. "

NPR has an obligation to fair and balanced reporting. They do not have an obligation to meeting a quota. You also cannot ask for political affiliation when hiring.

just listen...

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, read the opinion piece. Does this sound like they're meeting that obligation: "During a meeting with colleagues, I listened as one of NPR’s best and most fair-minded journalists said it was good we weren’t following the laptop story because it could help Trump."
So NPR is just doing what Fox News' written journalism does. To clarify what that means, I really don't have a problem with Fox News' written journalism. What they say, for the most part, is fair and balanced. What topics they choose to cover is a different story, but that's their prerogative. Same as NPR. More on them in a second.

More than any other mainstream outlet, Fox News spends a lot of energy producing stories that at their heart criticize their competitors. It's a petty look.
This is a very important point. So we have 87 Democrats on the editorial staff and 0 Republicans. The op-ed and MoeDude posting the op-ed here frames this as either the problem or the cause of the problem. The op-ed and now you are introducing a historical context ("doing for years", "In 2011, 26% of listeners said they were conservative, 23% in the middle, and 37% liberal. But by 2023, only 11% said they were conservative")

This really begs a question: What has changed? Has anything changed? This piece presents the change in audience demographics as a result of NPR's content. Where's the evidence for that? Couldn't the rise of entrepreneurial conservative news outlets (Breitbart, The Blaze, NewsMax, etc) have a hand in that? Have the political demographics of the staff changed? Was there more balance a decade ago? Is the issue that the current staff is 87-0? Or has it always been that way, but now Democratic journalists are becoming more biased/selective in what they choose to cover? It's an important distinction.
And? Are you really implying that it's impossible for someone to find out someone else's political affiliation if they wanted?
No, but now it seems you are implying what you are accusing me of implying - that NPR tries to uncover political affiliations when making hiring decisions.

If "the problem" is that the staff is 87-0, then counterbalancing that quite literally becomes a DEI conversation, and we know how conservatives are just so in love with DEI right about now. I have a degree in journalism. I don't have a problem making the generalization that the tenor of my classmates skewed left. The people interested in journalism skew that way and most of the people with the talent to succeed at a high level skew left.

I don't see "the problem" here as a byproduct of 87-0 as much as those 87 trending in a certain direction.
You really haven't read up on this at all have you? You do realize being old, white and a male doesn't exclude someone from having an opinion.
Never implied that.
In this case, here's how the "old white guy" at NPR describes himself:

"You know the stereotype of the NPR listener: an EV-driving, Wordle-playing, tote bag–carrying coastal elite. It doesn’t precisely describe me, but it’s not far off. I’m Sarah Lawrence–educated, was raised by a lesbian peace activist mother, I drive a Subaru, and Spotify says my listening habits are most similar to people in Berkeley. "
K.

So NPR is just doing what Fox News' written journalism does. To clarify what that means, I really don't have a problem with Fox News' written journalism. What they say, for the most part, is fair and balanced. What topics they choose to cover is a different story, but that's their prerogative. Same as NPR. More on them in a second.

More than any other mainstream outlet, Fox News spends a lot of energy producing stories that at their heart criticize their competitors. It's a petty look.

This is a very important point. So we have 87 Democrats on the editorial staff and 0 Republicans. The op-ed and MoeDude posting the op-ed here frames this as either the problem or the cause of the problem. The op-ed and now you are introducing a historical context ("doing for years", "In 2011, 26% of listeners said they were conservative, 23% in the middle, and 37% liberal. But by 2023, only 11% said they were conservative")

This really begs a question: What has changed? Has anything changed? This piece presents the change in audience demographics as a result of NPR's content. Where's the evidence for that? Couldn't the rise of entrepreneurial conservative news outlets (Breitbart, The Blaze, NewsMax, etc) have a hand in that? Have the political demographics of the staff changed? Was there more balance a decade ago? Is the issue that the current staff is 87-0? Or has it always been that way, but now Democratic journalists are becoming more biased/selective in what they choose to cover? It's an important distinction.

No, but now it seems you are implying what you are accusing me of implying - that NPR tries to uncover political affiliations when making hiring decisions.

If "the problem" is that the staff is 87-0, then counterbalancing that quite literally becomes a DEI conversation, and we know how conservatives are just so in love with DEI right about now. I have a degree in journalism. I don't have a problem making the generalization that the tenor of my classmates skewed left. The people interested in journalism skew that way and most of the people with the talent to succeed at a high level skew left.

I don't see "the problem" here as a byproduct of 87-0 as much as those 87 trending in a certain direction.

Never implied that.

K.

You're probably right. NPR is no different today then it was back in my pizza delivery days when I used to be a frequent listener. I actually read this guys piece yesterday but didn't really think much of it because I thought it was pretty much just an insider's perspective of what everyone already knew. I guess I was mistaken. Probably a result of my age, racial and gender handicap lol

How many Democrats does the Washington Stand have on their editorial staff? They are as biased as they come.

"The Washington Stand is Family Research Council’s outlet for news and commentary from a biblical worldview. The Washington Stand is based in Washington, D.C. and is published by FRC, whose mission is to advance faith, family, and freedom in public policy and the culture from a biblical worldview. We invite you to stand with us by partnering with FRC.

For 40 years, we've been committed to advancing faith, family, and freedom in public policy and the culture from a biblical worldview."

What a joke.

How many Democrats does the Washington Stand have on their editorial staff? They are as biased as they come.

"The Washington Stand is Family Research Council’s outlet for news and commentary from a biblical worldview. The Washington Stand is based in Washington, D.C. and is published by FRC, whose mission is to advance faith, family, and freedom in public policy and the culture from a biblical worldview. We invite you to stand with us by partnering with FRC.

For 40 years, we've been committed to advancing faith, family, and freedom in public policy and the culture from a biblical worldview."

What a joke.
what is the Washington Stand?

You really haven't read up on this at all have you? You do realize being old, white and a male doesn't exclude someone from having an opinion. In this case, here's how the "old white guy" at NPR describes himself:

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT CENSORSHIP

What a joke.

Translation. "NPR is biased, but I'm okay with it because it agrees with my personal views."

I guess you missed the "public" part of NPR, along with the "public" part of CPB? But hey, some conservative group no one has heard of is biased so everyone should be right? I do agree though, this is a joke.

Never implied that.

K.
Truly..this may have been your greatest work as a liberal.

No one is crying about it. Just confirms what was already known about the bias of PBS.

You're probably right. NPR is no different today then it was back in my pizza delivery days when I used to be a frequent listener. I actually read this guys piece yesterday but didn't really think much of it because I thought it was pretty much just an insider's perspective of what everyone already knew. I guess I was mistaken. Probably a result of my age, racial and gender handicap lol

Here you go.
The most interesting part to me is that only two of those outlets carry the parenthetical qualifier "(opinion)" for their measure of partisanship. This indicates to me that their news reporting should be regarded as neutral. This is huge to me, yet it's treated as a mere footnote in the chart.

No surprise that Nat'l Review and NYP, seen as "hard right opinion", are neutral in actual reportage, and that no relative equivalent is to be found anywhere on the Left.

My beef is why is the federal government paying for ANY broadcast/radio outlet? A friend of mine complained that we would lose shows like Sesame Street if it weren't for PBS. Doesn't HBO own Sesame Street? Isn't much of PBS' schedule foreign shows that PBS buys "with support from people like you"? It could easily move to Bravo, TNT, one of the Discovery channels, etc.