Northwest Ohio Realignment

Strack reporting that SFS has hired an assistant from Gates Mills Hawken to be their new football coach.

Kids paying SFS tuition are going seem like they're on free lunch compared to where he came from.

Email with more info on new SFS coach.

St. Francis hires head football coach
Woolridge brings 20+ years of experience

After an extensive interview process, St. Francis de Sales School has named Charles Woolridge as head football coach. Woolridge becomes the 11th head football coach in school history and brings over 20 years of coaching experience from the youth to high school level.
Most recently, Woolridge served at Hawken School in the Cleveland area as a coach for both the varsity and junior high teams. Prior to Hawken, he coached at Gonzaga College High School, Bishop O’Connell High School, St. Vincent Pallotti High School and St. Mary’s Ryken High School.
Coach Woolridge graduated in 1993 from DeMatha Catholic High School in Maryland, where he was an all-county and all-conference player. In college, he played for Rutgers University and was a four-year letter winner and three-year starter on the defensive line. Upon graduating from Rutgers in 1998 with a B.A. in sociology, Woolridge played four seasons in the Arena Football League.
Woolridge is ready to build a program of excellence that already includes two state championships (1984 & 2001), a state runner-up (1982), an additional Final Four appearance (2002), 61 All-State individuals, and a 61% win percentage since the inception of the program in 1956.
On being named, he said, “I look forward to being a part of St. Francis, the community, and building a competitive, championship-caliber program. I am excited to bring my passion for football and teaching to the young men at St. Francis de Sales.”
Justin Edgell, Athletic Director at St. Francis said, “Charles is a leader who is personable and understands the importance of building relationships. He is a high football IQ guy and has great energy. I am confident Coach Woolridge will ensure the success of our student-athletes on and off the field, making the entire St. Francis community proud.”
“The St. Francis community is excited to have Coach Woolridge join us as a teacher and coach. I’m confident that Woolridge will fit right in here,” said President Rev. Geoff Rose, OSFS.
Coach Woolridge will move to the Toledo area with his wife Johanna and their children, Xavier, Christian, and Julianna. He will begin in his new role as head coach starting immediately.
Woolridge will meet the team and media on Friday at St. Francis.

On the same day where TCC's massive OL Mark Nave received offers from Indiana and Duke, news broke of a 3-star WR transfer from River Rouge joining the Irish. Jaylen Watson has offers from Minnesota, West Virginia, Maryland, Cincinnati, Toledo, etc. TCC graduates its top 3 wideouts, so this is big.

On the same day where TCC's massive OL Mark Nave received offers from Indiana and Duke, news broke of a 3-star WR transfer from River Rouge joining the Irish. Jaylen Watson has offers from Minnesota, West Virginia, Maryland, Cincinnati, Toledo, etc. TCC graduates its top 3 wideouts, so this is big.
Has to be the little brother of Leroy Watson '20 (also of River Rouge), I presume? Was wondering why the hey a kid from up there would transfer before I realized why that last name and former school combo was familiar.

Has to be the little brother of Leroy Watson '20 (also of River Rouge), I presume? Was wondering why the hey a kid from up there would transfer before I realized why that last name and former school combo was familiar.
heard today that only 3% of all 4th graders in Detroit are presently proficient in math.

the proficiency has dropped 50% since 2019

That number is in free fall in a ton of districts around the country. Covid hit math preparedness far more than any other subject. We've seen two consecutive years of the worst placement rates in Math ever at UT.
I don't know why people have to be proficient at math any more...

calculators and computers can tell you anything you want to know.

<sarcasm>

Good catch. Leroy played his senior year at TCC and then signed with Army.

heard today that only 3% of all 4th graders in Detroit are presently proficient in math.

the proficiency has dropped 50% since 2019
River Rouge is not a Detroit Public School nor is it in Detroit.

His brother transferred his senior year as well. This is more than likely about exposure.

River Rouge is not a Detroit Public School nor is it in Detroit.

His brother transferred his senior year as well. This is more than likely about exposure.
Perhaps. Would River Rouge have any less exposure than any Toledo school? They play and are competitive with the best of the DPL, the CHSL and even Cleveland. He probably could have transfered to any of them, presuming he could maintain their academics.

Perhaps. Would River Rouge have any less exposure than any Toledo school? They play and are competitive with the best of the DPL, the CHSL and even Cleveland. He probably could have transfered to any of them, presuming he could maintain their academics.
I really do not know? Best guess. His brother transferred before his senior year as well so it is an outlier. River Rouge lost their talented HC to Toledo a year ago and they went 5-5 last season. If he moved somewhere in Toledo I'd imagine he can use a voucher, which he cannot do in Michigan. Lots of speculation obviously.

MHSAA also disallows transfers for athletic purposes. Thomas Kithier, who played basketball at Michigan State, moved to Clarkston for his senior year and was ruled ineligible by the MHSAA. OLSM had the same thing happen with three basketball players this year.

Last edited:
I really do not know? Best guess. His brother transferred before his senior year as well so it is an outlier. River Rouge lost their talented HC to Toledo a year ago and they went 5-5 last season. If he moved somewhere in Toledo I'd imagine he can use a voucher, which he cannot do in Michigan. Lots of speculation obviously.

Who's that? With all the troubles with coaches at Belleville, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dempsey talking up prospects on the google satellite image.

We used to play River Rouge every year when I was growing up in Petoskey. They would travel 5 hours north and stay with players on our team. Between the varsity and JV teams the African-American population of Emmett County might have increased 6-fold for the weekend.

Rouge was coached by this guy at the time:

Lofton Greene

River Rouge High School's enrollment jumped from roughly 500 when coach Parker began in 2009 to over 1000 when he left (2021). Unsure if another local school closed our what but that is impressive. Good football teams help school districts.

River Rouge High School's enrollment jumped from roughly 500 when coach Parker began in 2009 to over 1000 when he left (2021). Unsure if another local school closed our what but that is impressive. Good football teams help school districts.
Detroit SWern closed. It's not that far away and they had a state b-ball team not that long ago. Maybe some migrated down river? The only school I know left in the neighborhood is Cesar Chavez. Large for a charter at 700 students. I googled. They have football playing mostly small private christian schools.

A guess based on ignorance but mine would be blacks generally went one way and hispanics stayed home.

Last edited:
The ball is in the BVC's court. They sit back and wait and they will fold
I'd go even tighter than that...this all ends up with how LB is handled. Do they become team #12 in the NLL by default and necessity for a home? Does the NBC decide to make a play for 10 and bring LB and Elmwood in? I don't think LB has any desire to remain independent, so they're going to have to figure something out one way or another here soon.