No State Finals attendence thread?

Oh, get real on the D2 attendance. The fact that both schools were less than 20 miles from game is why it was so much higher.

A championship game between, say, St. X and Moeller played at a Cincinnati venue would produce a similar discrepancy/
There are no such venues in Cincy. The largest crowd they could possibly have is ten or eleven thousand. Nippert and Paul Brown Stadium are both cost prohibitive and not viable options.

There are no such venues in Cincy. The largest crowd they could possibly have is ten or eleven thousand. Nippert and Paul Brown Stadium are both cost prohibitive and not viable options.
Indiana can play their H.S. championships at an NFL venue as can Xichigan and Ky. play their H.S. championship at an SEC school but Ohio has none of those options other than Canton something just doesn't seem right.

That's not really calling his bluff though because you clearly said 2002. The crowds in the early 2000s were way more significant than the crowds now so to get a crowd in 2023 of 15,000 to 17,000 people in Ohio is remarkable
I just remember the finals in the 80's when we played at Nippert for one then Ohio Stadium for the other.

With Massillon being a major threat every year, would they even want to be responsible for hosting & providing staff for any championship games? I'd imagine that the same people/boosters that would be options to work said games were among the thousands of residents that were downtown on Thursday night.
absolutely we would love to host, even after the downtown party Thursday night :) We know how to roll !!

What does Benson ACTUALLY hold without the large temporary endzone ? Should be a seating chart somewhere that shows the north and south grandstands. Maybe in its current configuration it does not hold 23,000. Anyone have the actual charts ?

Indiana can play their H.S. championships at an NFL venue as can Xichigan and Ky. play their H.S. championship at an SEC school but Ohio has none of those options other than Canton something just doesn't seem right.
Other states make it a priority to get the best venue.

Maine - NCAA D1 FCS (1 game of 4)
Massachusetts - NFL
New Hampshire - NCAA D1 FCS
New York - NCAA D1
New Jersey - NFL & NCAA D1
Maryland - NCAA D1
Delaware - NCAA D1 FCS
Virginia - NCAA D1 FCS (two venues, out of three)
North Carolina - 2 different NCAA D1s
South Carolina - some at NCAA D1
Georgia - NFL
Florida - NCAA D1 (though moves around some)
Alabama - NCAA D1 (rotates around between Bama, Auburn and UAB)
Mississippi - NCAA D1 (rotates between MSU and Ole Miss)
Louisiana - NFL
Arkansas - War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock (some NCAA D1 games are/were played there)
Missouri - NCAA D1
Indiana - NFL
Michigan - NFL
Illinois - NCAA D1 FCS (currently played at NIU and SIU)
Kentucky - NCAA D1
Tennessee - NCAA D1 FCS
Wisconsin - NCAA D1
Minnesota - NFL
Iowa - NCAA D1 FCS
North Dakota - NCAA D1 FCS
South Dakota - NCAA D1 FCS
Nebraska - NCAA D1
Kansas - (don't ask)
Oklahoma - NCAA D2
Texas - NFL
Colorado - Some NCAA D1 (others at CSU-Pueblo)
Wyoming - NCAA D1
Utah - NCAA D1
Idaho - Varies, some NCAA D1 some NCAA D1 FCS
Nevada - NFL and NCAA D1 (depends on matchup)
Arizona - NFL (for some)
Hawaii - NCAA D1 (when the stadium is available)

Montana and New Mexico play at the highest seed. Kansas plays at several small colleges throughout the state (1 game each).

Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania are odd-balls. Rhode Island plays at Cranston HS. Vermont plays at Rutland HS. Most Maine games are at Portland, not U of Maine. Connecticut plays at the higher seed or local stadium. DC currently plays at a HS stadium, though have played at RFK in the past.

It is because often states can use that venue free of charge a certain amount of times per year if I am not mistaken as a provision to when the stadiums got funding from the state.

@Sykotyk Wouldn't you say that Tom Benson is equivalent to or superior to any Division I-AA stadium and it is equivalent to some smaller Division I-A venues (such as MAC and other mid-major conferences)?

absolutely we would love to host, even after the downtown party Thursday night :) We know how to roll !!

Hypothetically speaking, let's say Massillon wins it all again next year. Since y'all "know how to roll" (which I wholeheartedly agree y'all do), would you want to leave your postgame festivities early because you had to wake up early the next day to work the 10:30 AM game? That's the question.

Waiting for the facial recognition proof of this from a 3rd party software partner of the OHSAA.
If someone can get me a panoramic picture from that game, I can send it along to one of my former coworkers to get you an approximate number. Mind you I can't guarantee any sort of turnaround time.

What other venues have bid?
In the recent past:
Paul Brown Tiger Stadium
Infocision/Akron
Two high schools inside 270 (can't recall which off the top of my head)
Cleveland Brown Stadium
Paul Brown/Nippert

Mind you all of the bids except for Tom Benson, PBTS, and the two schools inside 270 asked for very large fees to use the stadiums plus a large percentage off ticket sales in addition to the concessions and parking fees

A few opinions:

-The championship games should always be in Canton/Massillon based on the history/tradition. It's just more special than sterile Columbus
-I wish they just flat out wouldn't stream or televise the championship games. The bars in Lakewood were packed with Eds people watching the game last night.
-Division 1 football needs a face lift. I don't know what the fix is, but there's 0 juice in big time Ohio football. D2 is much more interesting. One easy fix is Massillon being D1 again, although I know that can't just happen.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say Massillon wins it all again next year. Since y'all "know how to roll" (which I wholeheartedly agree y'all do), would you want to leave your postgame festivities early because you had to wake up early the next day to work the 10:30 AM game? That's the question.
Personally I wouldn't but I believe enough would.

It was announced at the game…I’m assuming the numbers came from tickets scanned at the gate 🤷
Well I know for instance that the number announced for Thursday night was not particulary close to the actual attendance. Actual attendance was 19,000 approximately.
I know that the number announced for D-III last year was also incorrect.
So I would take the numbers they announce with a grain of salt as they aren't always the most accurate.

Oh, get real on the D2 attendance. The fact that both schools were less than 20 miles from game is why it was so much higher.

A championship game between, say, St. X and Moeller played at a Cincinnati venue would produce a similar discrepancy/

Massillon-Hoban have a "mini rivalry." Having it in Canton certainly helped, but their crowd would've been huge anywhere.

On several opccasions (including recently), I've brought up Warren Harding & Cincinnati Elder nearly selling out Fawcett in a blizzard in the '02 state title game. The year before in 2001, Harding took a "standing room only" crowd to The Pit. In all, they played for three consecutive years from 2000-02 and all three games were intense. After the original home & home, it was only right that they met up at Fawcett. It was every bit as intense as Massillon-Hoban matchups are today, but 4-5 hours apart.

Warren crowd @ The Pit in 2001
i-vHMKsTg-L.jpg

i-jgjmTpv-L.jpg

2002 crowd @ Fawcett
i-CkspTRt-XL.jpg

10583939_10102631309097504_8090642397212010855_n.jpg

Massillon-Hoban have a "mini rivalry." Having it in Canton certainly helped, but their crowd would've been huge anywhere.

On several opccasions (including recently), I've brought up Warren Harding & Cincinnati Elder nearly selling out Fawcett in a blizzard in the '02 state title game. The year before in 2001, Harding took a "standing room only" crowd to The Pit. In all, they played for three consecutive years from 2000-02 and all three games were intense. After the original home & home, it was only right that they met up at Fawcett. It was every bit as intense as Massillon-Hoban matchups are today, but 4-5 hours apart.

Warren crowd @ The Pit in 2001
View attachment 50810
View attachment 50811

2002 crowd @ Fawcett
View attachment 50812
View attachment 50813
I was sitting in the corner. Big delay waiting on Massillon to bring their orange snow brush machines over.