No State Finals attendence thread?

D2 outdrew an entire day? :oops:

It might be a nice bragging point for those teams, but this ain't good for the situation as a whole.
It's more an indictment of the OHSAA finals than it is bragging rights for Massillon and/or Hoban.

I still say 10:30am games shouldn't be happening when there's only three games in a day. Ohio insists on separate tickets for each game. So to clear the stadium you need 1030am and 7:30pm games. Very few are going to more than one game with the setup that you have to leave and reenter an hour later. Indiana manages with 3 games in a day starting at 12pm, 330pm, and 7pm. One ticket, and they don't worry about clearing out the stadium. Only Nebraska, Kentucky and Alabama have more than 2 games at one site on one day and charge for separate tickets. Everyone else just puts them as one ticket and gets the games moving.

That's not really calling his bluff though because you clearly said 2002. The crowds in the early 2000s were way more significant than the crowds now so to get a crowd in 2023 of 15,000 to 17,000 people in Ohio is remarkable
I agree with that. It blows me away that Massillon would get 10-12,000 for openers against Akron City schools 25 years ago and now its only 10–12,000 tiger fans for a coronation at the end of an undefeated season.

This just serves to prove that holding the games in Stark County is bad for OHSAA. IF the games are in Columbus you are a 2 hour drive to the majority of the state. The D2 final proves that the closer the drive the higher attendance.

This just serves to prove that holding the games in Stark County is bad for OHSAA. IF the games are in Columbus you are a 2 hour drive to the majority of the state. The D2 final proves that the closer the drive the higher attendance.
Hypothetically, if Lewis Center Olentangy (16 miles) plays either Pickerington North (19 miles) or Central (22 miles) in the D1 final in Columbus, what's the attendance at Crew Stadium?

Last edited:
Really surprised Kirtland didn't have more fans being pretty close..
Looking at the attendance for all of Kirtland's championship games.

2023 3959 Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium Friday AM
2022 3960 Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium Saturday AM
2021 4465 Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium Saturday PM
2020 *1541 Paul Brown Tiger Stadium Saturday Afternoon
2019 4881 Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium Saturday PM
2018 4380 Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium Friday AM
2017 8062 Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium Saturday AM
2016 7034 Ohio Stadium Saturday AM
2015 7361 Ohio Stadium Friday Afternoon
2014 5881 Fawcett Stadium Friday AM
2013 6886 Paul Brown Tiger Stadium Saturday Afternoon
2012 6654 Paul Brown Tiger Stadium Friday AM

The attendance for Thursday night was not correct. That stadium was almost full. People were entering without their tickets scanned. The atmosphere was amazing. So all you jealous haters trying to downplay it, go ahead, but we know the truth. It’s just one of the many reasons kids want to play for Massillon. And then downtown Massillon after the game was off the chain. I can’t wait for the parade next Sunday. The Massillon program is still the envy of high school programs across the country. Go Tigers.

Might head back for the weekend next year for first time in few years. Have they done anything to improve the club interior for in between games for that price?

I prefer to not have to leave and park so many times, but last time I used that club it was brutal.

Hypothetically, if Lewis Center Olentangy (16 miles) plays either Pickerington North (19 miles) or Central (22 miles) in the D1 final in Columbus, what's the attendance at Crew Stadium?
I don't know, but I do know you play that game in Columbus, it has more people than if you play it in Canton.

D7 outdraws D1? Good God.
Two very different demographics and geographics....

Dalton is right nearby. ML is a powerhouse who can drive here blindfolded. While Springfield is a haul for a Friday night. Community is going to have a lot of people not wanting to pay the cost to make that drive. For the third straight year, even. And St. Eds will bring friends and families and a few alums. It is a shame. I remember the Saturday night D1 game always had a huge crowd. Even when it'd be Elder/Iggy. Now, they're all home streaming it.

So at every game someone is taking a panoramic photo of the crowd? How handy.
No he was at the game himself, and took the photos himself. He wanted to see Massillon play this year but was unable to make the game against St. Edward, but was conveniently in the area on Thursday for work on I-77. He did't attend any games yesterday and isn't attending any today either.

So at every game someone is taking a panoramic photo of the crowd? How handy.
It's a technology that is used to enforce firecodes for capacity, crowd control by police for large outdoor gatherings, etc. It basically gives a rough count so you know how many people you need to work the crowd or whether it's unsafe if such as inside a stadium. It's not IDing who they are, just that it is a person and counts them.

Texas uses it for UIL as well. Which is partly how they get their count since tickets are sold for all-day and yet they can release an attendance count for each game throughout the day.

I decided to go to the game last minute after I saw the rain was going to hold off. Yes, Canton and Lakewood are only an hour apart in the right conditions, but it's not that easy of a drive.

A handful of bars on the west side had watch parties for the game. I heard they were packed.

If you want attendance to go back up, you can't show the games on TV. It's really that simple.

Dix (Kent State University) 25,000
Doyt Perry (Bowling Green State University) 24,000
Yager (Miami of Ohio University) 24,000
Glass Bowl ( The University of Toledo) 26,000
Infocision (The University of Akron) 31,000
Peden (Ohio University) 24,000
Stambaugh (Youngstown State University) 22,000
Old Crew Stadium 19,000*
Paul Brown Tiger Stadium 17,000**
[Tom Benson 23,000]

*Formerly had a capacity of 23,000, new capacity is 19,000
**Max capacity of 20,000 with additional temporary seats

The above are the only stadiums in Ohio that could reasonably seat the crowd on Thursday. OSU and UC are too large, so with that said would any of the above options be a significant improvement on Tom Benson, with the exception of Old Crew Stadium which couldn't actaully hold all the spectators.