Infocision (The University of Akron) 31,000
Peden (Ohio University) 24,000
Stambaugh (Youngstown State University) 22,000
Old Crew Stadium 19,000*
Paul Brown Tiger Stadium 17,000**
[Tom Benson 23,000]

*Formerly had a capacity of 23,000, new capacity is 19,000
**Max capacity of 20,000 with additional temporary seats

The above are the only stadiums in Ohio that could reasonably seat the crowd on Thursday. OSU and UC are too large, so with that said would any of the above options be a significant improvement on Tom Benson, with the exception of Old Crew Stadium which couldn't actaully hold all the spectators.
Thing is, scarcity drives demand. Can't really make it a 'must see' when you know you can pull up two minutes before kickoff and get into the venue. Part of what drove the Massillon-Hoban game was the thought that it maybe, might, could, possibly sell out. Unlikely overall, but it probably helped spur people to buy tickets early just to be sure. Which as reports of 11,000+ presold tickets, gets people to want to get there. The smaller crowd games, it's not a push. Either a discount (like the old ticket books had) or some other benefit is needed to get those tickets sold ahead of time.

Some of those stadiums in the high teens will rarely have an issue with capacity. It's like buying an F350 so you can haul a boat once a year when the rest of the year you're driving commuting to work. Sure, you 'need' it once in a while, but overall it's costing you so much more all the times you don't. Ohio doesn't need a giant stadium most of the time. Or even a lot of the time. There's nothing wrong with a single game being sold out.

Call me a homer (go ahead, I can take it) but the best venue in the state for these games is PBTS. Right sized: can hold the larger crowds, but intimate enough so that the smaller crowds aren't bouncing around. Easy parking, friendly, experienced volunteers, cheap food you can choke down without gagging, plenty of media/VIP facilities, and unrivaled history.

Too bad none of that matters.

Last edited:
Call me a homer (go ahead, I can take it) but the best venue in the state for these games is PBTS. Right sized: can hold the larger crowds, but intimate enough so that the smaller crowds aren't bouncing around. Easy parking, friendly, experienced volunteers, cheap food you can choke down without gagging, plenty of media/VIP facilities, and unrivaled history.

Of the 3 playoff era championship games Mogadore won, my favorite stadium was PBTS. Canton's old Faucet was a close 2nd. Rubber Bowl because it was 2.5 miles from Mogadore was great too!. Liked when games were split between old Faucet and PBTS!!

Of the 3 playoff era championship games Mogadore won, my favorite stadium was PBTS. Canton's old Faucet was a close 2nd. Rubber Bowl because it was 2.5 miles from Mogadore was great too!. Liked when games were split between old Faucet and PBTS!!
Honestly that was the best setup if OHSAA wants separate tickets for each game. Games started at 11, 3, and 7. Didn't need this extra hour to play at the same venue. The parking pass got you right in to the main lot at either place. And a chance to stop somewhere between games on your way to the next venue.

Honestly that was the best setup if OHSAA wants separate tickets for each game. Games started at 11, 3, and 7. Didn't need this extra hour to play at the same venue. The parking pass got you right in to the main lot at either place. And a chance to stop somewhere between games on your way to the next venue.
This, was absolutely perfect and loved it

With Massillon being a major threat every year, would they even want to be responsible for hosting & providing staff for any championship games? I'd imagine that the same people/boosters that would be options to work said games were among the thousands of residents that were downtown on Thursday night.

With Massillon being a major threat every year, would they even want to be responsible for hosting & providing staff for any championship games? I'd imagine that the same people/boosters that would be options to work said games were among the thousands of residents that were downtown on Thursday night.
They did it before. Just make the D2 game at Canton. They played the D1 game after hosting the afternoon game and the stadium shut down immediately to head over.

That's reasonable. Add a proviso that no team can play a title game on their home field. But for everyone else: PBTS is the best there is.

They did it before. Just make the D2 game at Canton. They played the D1 game after hosting the afternoon game and the stadium shut down immediately to head over.

I know that they've done it before, but we're dealing with a completely different set of fans. D2 seems to be the only money maker in Ohio nowadays and if Massillon is only making money off of concessions, would it be worth it to them to host? If we're dealing with fans from the 90's/2000's from Canton McKinley, Cincinnati Elder/X, Warren Harding, etc., then maybe.

In 2004, Cincinnati Colerain smacked McKinley 50-10 at Fawcett. Massillon hosting D2 these days would be deemed unfair, so if they can't host the biggest game, why potentially lose money hosting any? Plus, now that they've won a playoff title, I highly doubt that they'd want to change anything.

@Sykotyk
Just saying the OHSAA wants the money, and wouldn't want to lose out on any money by choosing a venue that can't hold the entire crowd.
I personally think some of the MAC stadiums are too large of a venue. For instance if they had the games at Akron like you said there would be no fear or risk of the game selling out, and with the crowd of 19,000 that would only fill up Akron just under ⅔rds of the way, the crowds of 4,000 or 5,000 would make for a terrible enviroment in the MAC stadiums which are even more spacious than Tom Benson.

Strictly by size I think the best options are
PBTS
Tom Benson
Stambaugh
Old Crew

Interestingly there are no stadiums with a capacity greater than 12,000 and less than 16,000.
Approximate capacities
Arlin 12,000
Byers 12,000
Molenkoff 12,000
Welcome 11,000
Greenwood 10,500
The Pit 10,000
Shaw 10,000
Brunswick 10,000

I wonder if they had one of these stadiums that seats 10-12,000 host the games that likely will not have attendance in excess of 8,000, if that would be ideal to using Tom Benson...

@Sykotyk
Just saying the OHSAA wants the money, and wouldn't want to lose out on any money by choosing a venue that can't hold the entire crowd.
I personally think some of the MAC stadiums are too large of a venue. For instance if they had the games at Akron like you said there would be no fear or risk of the game selling out, and with the crowd of 19,000 that would only fill up Akron just under ⅔rds of the way, the crowds of 4,000 or 5,000 would make for a terrible enviroment in the MAC stadiums which are even more spacious than Tom Benson.

Strictly by size I think the best options are
PBTS
Tom Benson
Stambaugh
Old Crew

Interestingly there are no stadiums with a capacity greater than 12,000 and less than 16,000.
Approximate capacities
Arlin 12,000
Byers 12,000
Molenkoff 12,000
Welcome 11,000
Greenwood 10,500
The Pit 10,000
Shaw 10,000
Brunswick 10,000

I wonder if they had one of these stadiums that seats 10-12,000 host the games that likely will not have attendance in excess of 8,000, if that would be ideal to using Tom Benson...
I love Brunswick, but, with how they flip the home and away team, the visitor side is worrisome.

Shaw....yikes, come for a game with your sidearm just to be safe

The days of half of the games in Canton and half in Massillon were the best. PBTS is one of my favorite stadiums in the world to visit, and I'm fortunate enough to have been to many across the globe.

Benson isn't Fawcett. That's not a bad thing per se. Without the crowds it can feel empty. Every time I've gone to Benson (at least a dozen for all kinds of events) the staff has been great, last nights hot dog was terrible but they didn't rip me off the way they could have considering it's really a stadium owned by the NFL. But it still feels like this big grandiose venue with nothing to show for it.

I know you're critical of the HOF Village, some of it valid, some of it Massillon vs Canton. Benson really needs events that work there. I think they should reach out to MAC schools like OU and Kent to schedule a week 1 game against FCS schools and have reunion events that focus on getting people to the HOF and the village. There should really be a college bowl game there too, who cares if it's outside, it's next to the hall of fame.

Benson and the HOF will only go as far as it's leaders will take it.

Been there, done that.
Back in 2015, saw Bedford at Shaw in an afternoon game.
Sadly, the old stands at Shaw are torn down and the Browns came in and basically rebuilt the stadium for them. It's your run of the mill modern stadium now. Good thing for the school and the kids, bad thing for the history of the place. The old stadium (stands?) hosted the Cleveland Rams a few times (maybe a season?), how many high school stadiums can say they hosted regular season NFL games?

I wouldn't feel in danger at a game at Shaw. I would want to make sure I could see my car though 😂

I love Brunswick, but, with how they flip the home and away team, the visitor side is worrisome.

Shaw....yikes, come for a game with your sidearm just to be safe

The people at Shaw are actually very nice and I always enjoy their marching band. I had zero issues when Harding played LEL games there.

Of course, it didn't hurt that they were frying catfish at the games. 😁

The people at Shaw are actually very nice and I always enjoy their marching band. I had zero issues when Harding played LEL games there.

Of course, it didn't hurt that they were frying catfish at the games. 😁
Wasn't talking about the people at Shaw. CLE is a dumpster fire, nevermind East CLE. Back when I thought I was going to be a teacher and not atty, I student taught at a school next to Shaw. It was an experience.

It would be a moot point, no games for titles are going there

Sorry didn't realize Shaw no longer seats 10,000, but was well aware it was in a rough neighboorhood. And of the locations I listed with 10,000 plus capacity, I would not pick Shaw even if they sat 10,000. I just listed all venues with 10,000 plus excluding stadiums with grass.

Sadly, the old stands at Shaw are torn down and the Browns came in and basically rebuilt the stadium for them. It's your run of the mill modern stadium now. Good thing for the school and the kids, bad thing for the history of the place. The old stadium (stands?) hosted the Cleveland Rams a few times (maybe a season?), how many high school stadiums can say they hosted regular season NFL games?

I wouldn't feel in danger at a game at Shaw. I would want to make sure I could see my car though 😂
The crowd was tiny and mostly Bedford fans when I was there. Yeah, I heard about the renovation/replacement the Browns did. Which is a shame. As far as I'm aware, Shaw Stadium, Portsmouth's Spartan Municipal Stadium and Kezar Stadium in San Francisco are the only HS venues that had hosted NFL teams. Not just games. But only Spartan Municipal Stadium still stands as it did back then.

Ironton would have had the Tanks joined the NFL. Which they opted not to do despite playing NFL teams from time to time. But never hosted an NFL team at their stadium. Always traveling to Cincinnati for the game.

The days of half of the games in Canton and half in Massillon were the best. PBTS is one of my favorite stadiums in the world to visit, and I'm fortunate enough to have been to many across the globe.

Benson isn't Fawcett. That's not a bad thing per se. Without the crowds it can feel empty. Every time I've gone to Benson (at least a dozen for all kinds of events) the staff has been great, last nights hot dog was terrible but they didn't rip me off the way they could have considering it's really a stadium owned by the NFL. But it still feels like this big grandiose venue with nothing to show for it.

I know you're critical of the HOF Village, some of it valid, some of it Massillon vs Canton. Benson really needs events that work there. I think they should reach out to MAC schools like OU and Kent to schedule a week 1 game against FCS schools and have reunion events that focus on getting people to the HOF and the village. There should really be a college bowl game there too, who cares if it's outside, it's next to the hall of fame.

Benson and the HOF will only go as far as it's leaders will take it.
I've been critical of Benson but Thursday night (the only game I went to) they were prepared unlike games I've been to there in the past. When Massillon played Hoban there in '18, we went immediately to the concession stand when we entered and the people working there weren't prepared to make change (not necessarily their fault). I also had to literally hunt down the programs and when I found the booth the programs were being sold at, the programs weren't even there yet, had to wait at least 30 minutes....luckily the lady working there was very apologetic and just gave me the program no charge. It was almost like they didn't give a :poop:. This year however the experience was much better, programs were being sold immediately as you entered and the concession lines were moving along. My only complaint in my two visits there in the last 6 weeks (and it didn't come into play this past Thursday) are the posts that now seem to be permanent on the visitors side.

Wasn't talking about the people at Shaw. CLE is a dumpster fire, nevermind East CLE. Back when I thought I was going to be a teacher and not atty, I student taught at a school next to Shaw. It was an experience.

It would be a moot point, no games for titles are going there

I knew what you were saying. Just pointing out that despite the stereotypes surrounding that area, they do a great job of making their spectators comfortable.

Great memories going to the entire Championship weekend when it was split between Canton and Massillon. Geisen House, Stables and many other places in between was always an entertaining break in between. So many great games (and terrible ones) and great players.

Two best attended games D2 and D7 what do they have in common two local teams playing. Despite what some yappi posters think distance does matter.