New Ohio Law — Be Aware

SeeYaSometime

It is now illegal in Ohio to drive with a cellphone in your hand. Prior to this law, signed by Gov DeWine 1/3/23, you could not be pulled over for this unless your were a minor. Now it is a primary offense for everyone.

tom 48

14Red

I predict this will be a one-way enforceable offense. If you are swerving and driving reckless and you have a phone in your hands they can pull you over. The cat's been out of the bag on this for more than a decade. There are people in their 30's who've driven, texted and done all kinds of things on phones with no issues. This just makes it look like DeWine is doing something, politicians do this.

boothmark77

There are several exceptions to the law:

-Drivers are allowed to use a phone when the vehicle is parked or stopped at a red light

-Drivers are allowed to swipe their screens to answer a call

-Holding a cell phone to your ear during phone calls is allowed

-Emergency calls will not be restricted

-Use of a GPS function or navigation device is fine, but must be mounted on the dash or console and not handheld

It’s a dumb law. I guess after the mandatory front plate law went away in Ohio, cops needed another BS way to pull you over.

cabezadecaballo

Would be great if the same attention was paid to those who drive while high, which this Bill seems to completely ignore.

Until they have an affordable field test that can measure “active” pot in someone’s system separate from the non-intoxicating systemic load of the fat-soluble THC, I am not sure how they could make an objective assessment of impairment

cabezadecaballo

I predict this will be a one-way enforceable offense. If you are swerving and driving reckless and you have a phone in your hands they can pull you over. The cat's been out of the bag on this for more than a decade. There are people in their 30's who've driven, texted and done all kinds of things on phones with no issues. This just makes it look like DeWine is doing something, politicians do this.
Heck, when I was 20 I could drive with my knees and twist a doobie, or drive a pickup from the passenger seat while stuffing newspaper boxes.

Practice, practice, practice….