New Name for Washington Franchise?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
What is your suggestion for a new team nickname for the franchise located in Washington DC?

Kind of surprised that the Redskins name made it this far to be honest.

Choose a more acceptable Native American moniker such as Warriors or Braves. I agree they should keep the logo. It's iconic and I see no issue with it on it's own merits.

If they want to remove all of the offensive parts of the team name, Washington will also have to go.
We could call it the DC Warriors...wait a second. What does the DC stand for??? Better not be named after Christopher Columbus!!!

Reactions: y2h
We could call it the DC Warriors...wait a second. What does the DC stand for??? Better not be named after Christopher Columbus!!!

From Wikipedia-

Columbia is a New Latin toponym, in use since the 1730s with reference to the Thirteen Colonies which would go on to form the United States. It originated from the name of Italian explorer Christopher Columbus and from the ending -ia, common in Latin names of countries (paralleling Britannia, Gallia, and others).

Uh oh.

While we're changing nicknames, we may as well go the minor league baseball route and come up with some very witty slogans. How about the Washington Sand Gnats? How about the Washington Wahoos?
Some other cute ones...Chihuahas, Bananas, Isotopes, Yard Goats, MuckDogs, Tincaps...

How about going back into history... The Washington Senators??

Everything about that city is offensive, mostly the way our government operates. How about the Washington Mudslingers, or the Washington Narcissists?

I am opposed to any change, but if the owner decides to cave in to PC / Liberal / Leftist pressure, I would call the team the Buckskins so they can keep being called The 'Skins. I would keep the burgundy and gold / yellow color scheme and would change the mascot to a Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett or (nearby) West Virginia Mountaineer type character. I would either reinstate the 1968 Redskins burgundy helmet with the spear on the side (sort of like FSU's helmet) OR keep that helmet and instead put a frontiersman or pioneer type long gun on the side in place of the spear. OF course, Washington changed the name of the NBA Bullets to the Wizards due to gun violence in an early PC cave in (surprised no Liberals made THAT change out to be a Ku Klux Klan reference, maybe that's still coming down the pike ) so maybe the long gun wouldn't fly. But anyway, that's what I'd do. Or try to do. (BTW in the late 1960's when farm clubs in minor leagues were still permitted by the NFL, the Washington Redskins financed a farm team in either the Continental FL or the Atlantic Coast FL in Roanoke VA called the Buckskins. This is where I got the idea for the name.

I am opposed to any change, but if the owner decides to cave in to PC / Liberal / Leftist pressure, I would call the team the Buckskins so they can keep being called The 'Skins. I would keep the burgundy and gold / yellow color scheme and would change the mascot to a Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett or (nearby) West Virginia Mountaineer type character. I would either reinstate the 1968 Redskins burgundy helmet with the spear on the side (sort of like FSU's helmet) OR keep that helmet and instead put a frontiersman or pioneer type long gun on the side in place of the spear. OF course, Washington changed the name of the NBA Bullets to the Wizards due to gun violence in an early PC cave in (surprised no Liberals made THAT change out to be a Ku Klux Klan reference, maybe that's still coming down the pike ) so maybe the long gun wouldn't fly. But anyway, that's what I'd do. Or try to do. (BTW in the late 1960's when farm clubs in minor leagues were still permitted by the NFL, the Washington Redskins financed a farm team in either the Continental FL or the Atlantic Coast FL in Roanoke VA called the Buckskins. This is where I got the idea for the name.
I like it! And by the way, the change from the Bullets has really cut violence. What a load of PC crap. Other countries probably get a good laugh at reading the news in the US daily.

The Onion did a piece saying something to the affect of “We did it! The Washington Redskins finally changed their name. The franchise will now be called the DC Redskins.” I chuckled.

Here are some suggestions for a name change:

How about the Washington Indians? Or maybe the Braves? Warriors? Tribe? Chiefs? Chippewas? Utes? Seminoles? Illini? Blackhawks? Blackhawks!!!

Oh, wait...maybe not.

Already said they're moving away from the native American imagery. Guessing the name will be unrelated then.

Redskins officially change their name. In doing so the NFL manages to be the number one story even on Opening Day of baseball season. That's the power of the NFL

Yes, Football Club will do for now. It works for the English Premier League. Most fans will still refer to them as the Skins for the foreseeable future.

Probably a good move for now. Thought I read a couple weeks ago where "trademark squatters" have filed for the rights to dozens of potential new names.