Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Struthers

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Lakeview

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Hubbard

Votes: 8 8.2%

• Total voters
There are few mysteries at this point in the season. Everyone has seen the teams play at least a couple times by now and the predictions, so to speak, get easier.
It’s all about who’s gonna get better these last couple weeks before week 11. I believe all NE8 teams are gonna be playing in week 11 which is awesome

I was ridiculed by our Hubbard friends when I posted this, but these were my preseason predictions. And I have to give SR credit- I had them for losses against Green, Poland, Struthers and thought they would stumble against someone else, but they stepped up and did what they do. And let's be honest, the Girard record is deceiving. No one will want to play them in the playoffs. And Hubbard fans- unfortunately just not a good team this year.

Predictions for the season:

Poland 8-2
Struthers 8-2
Girard 8-2
South Range 6-4
Niles 5-5
Hubbard 4-6
Lakeview 3-7

Actual standings as of today

South Range 7-1 (5-0) *clinched share of NE8. Unless they just don't go to the game Friday, they have won the NE8 again.
Poland 7-1 (3-1)
Struthers 6-2 (3-1)
Niles 5-3 (2-2)
Girard 4-4 (1-3)
Lakeview 4-4 (1-4)
Hubbard 4-4 (0-4)

Last edited:
Not in terms of seeding for Joe eitel but this is where fantastic 50 has the region 13 teams ranked.

Attachments

• IMG_6967.jpeg
    IMG_6967.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 85
I was ridiculed by our Hubbard friends when I posted this, but these were my preseason predictions. And I have to give SR credit- I had them for losses against Green, Poland, Struthers and thought they would stumble against someone else, but they stepped up and did what they do. And let's be honest, the Girard record is deceiving. No one will want to play them in the playoffs. And Hubbard fans- unfortunately just not a good team this year.

Predictions for the season:

Poland 8-2
Struthers 8-2
Girard 8-2
South Range 6-4
Niles 5-5
Hubbard 4-6
Lakeview 3-7

Actual standings as of today

South Range 7-1 (5-0) *clinched share of NE8. Unless they just don't go to the game Friday, they have won the NE8 again.
Poland 7-1 (3-1)
Struthers 6-2 (3-1)
Niles 5-3 (2-2)
Girard 4-4 (1-3)
Lakeview 4-4 (1-4)
Hubbard 4-4 (0-4)
The Struthers Poland game week 10 should be interesting. I’d give the slight edge to Struthers right now. Should be GOTW but it’ll likely be Ursuline Mooney. The Lakeview team that SR played against is much better than 1-4 in the conference.

The Struthers Poland game week 10 should be interesting. I’d give the slight edge to Struthers right now. Should be GOTW but it’ll likely be Ursuline Mooney. The Lakeview team that SR played against is much better than 1-4 in the conference.
Agreed. Poland-Struthers will be much more competitive than UHS-Mooney. Mooney has played solid this year but the talent gap is too wide this year between the two teams. I also agree about Lakeview. It looked much different than the South Range-Struthers game last year. Both teams came to play that night and Lakeview gave the Raiders something to think about for next year. It takes time to grow into a program that finds a way to win, even when they go down by a score or two. Lakeview has to be the most improved team this year in the conference. I'd even argue that every team in the league has improved since last season. From my view, the league has gotten stronger and stronger each year top to bottom. This offseason will be critical for Hubbard's program. The Eagles need some kind of jolt to bring them back to being one of the top 10 in the valley.

If Girard was stronger defensively they'd be a force to be reckoned with. They've got players, the one lineman is a house, and the speed in the back is there, seems like it's got to be scheme or technique related.
Girard has neen bad in defense since Pearson has taken over and that includes the run to the state title game.

I voted for SR to win the league, but I was really torn between SR/Struthers. The votes were roughly 2:1 for SR and then a few for others. SR and Struthers played a game that, obviously, could have gone either way. FTR, I'd love to see them play again -- SR is improved and I think Struthers is, too. It'd be another really entertaining game, but, alas, SR is D5.

Girard is basically Girard. They can score. They can't defend.

I think Poland was a little less than I thought. I thought they'd be right there with SR/Struthers, but I think they're more with Girard as a step behind the top 2.

Niles suprised me. I thought they'd be closer to Lakeview/Hubbard, but they're way closer to the top than the bottom (IMO).

Lakeview did not surprise me, although I was completely baffled watching them play SR. They are better, but still have a long way to go.

Hubbard is Hubbard. I was told the roster was lacking and when you couple that with the hallmarks of Hubbard play -- crushing penalities, turnovers and a 1940s offense, you end up at 4 wins. I thought they'd finish above Lakeview for sure, and they probably should have, but eh.

The part of the Lakeview/South Range game that surprised me was South Range's inability to get stops on defense in the 2nd half. I also recall that they, (the Raiders) lost two touchdowns to penalty that night. The part that hasn't surprised me is that S.R. has continued to improve each week as the season progressed. Shout out to the guys that stepped up, and the coaches who continue to put them in position to be successful, especially the O & D-line coaches.

Yeah, it was a bit of a penalty disaster, but you're exactly right -- being unable to get off the field in the 2H was really, really strange. And concerning. But they really have improved a ton, as you noted.

Congrats to Poland for winning 7th grade NE8 conference this year.
Poland 8th grade also won the NE8. There really was no 9th grade winner. There were only a few 9th grades teams and several of the ones that played had to bring sophomores down to fill a roster. I fear that with shrinking districts that Freshmen ball in the area will eventually go away and the boys will all have to move up and play JV.

Poland 8th grade also won the NE8. There really was no 9th grade winner. There were only a few 9th grades teams and several of the ones that played had to bring sophomores down to fill a roster. I fear that with shrinking districts that Freshmen ball in the area will eventually go away and the boys will all have to move up and play JV.
Even some of the bigger schools have cancelled freshmen games. You’re correct

Weren’t there some posters earlier is year saying that struthers had the dominant teams at the younger levels in NE8? What happened?

Weren’t there some posters earlier is year saying that struthers had the dominant teams at the younger levels in NE8? What happened?
Im not hurling insults but Im also curious as a certain struthers poster was “spreading” the gospel that struthers was going to win it all including the varsity ne8 title. I agree they are a good team but he had them slated as the best thing since edison invented the light bulb. Since Range wonthe chatter has slowed way down

Im not hurling insults but Im also curious as a certain struthers poster was “spreading” the gospel that struthers was going to win it all including the varsity ne8 title. I agree they are a good team but he had them slated as the best thing since edison invented the light bulb. Since Range wonthe chatter has slowed way down
I’m ready to view those posts if you can find them. I don’t know a Struthers poster that has posted them going better than 8-2 this season. Losing to the SR and a Geneva team that’s gonna get the 2 seed in region 9 isn’t anything to be ashamed of. Saying they’re not really good is a very bad take unless you think SR isn’t really good either