NBA Discussion

But on an actual NBA topic, Klay Thompson had 60 points through 3 quarters last night. Coach Kerr elected not to play him in the 4th quarter of a 35 point blowout. Some debate today...what's your thoughts???

I would have liked to see him stay in. These kinds of nights come only a few times in a career. He had 40 at half time. This is like the baseball pitcher who has a no hitter late in the game and it may be 5-6 to nothing so the game is decided. I think we sometimes go too far with the sportsman ship card, and the "not get hurt" card.

It's an 82 game season, the Warriors will likely play 100+. Smart move by Kerr, fu*k what the fans want. He's trying to win a title.

But on an actual NBA topic, Klay Thompson had 60 points through 3 quarters last night. Coach Kerr elected not to play him in the 4th quarter of a 35 point blowout. Some debate today...what's your thoughts???

I would have liked to see him stay in. These kinds of nights come only a few times in a career. He had 40 at half time. This is like the baseball pitcher who has a no hitter late in the game and it may be 5-6 to nothing so the game is decided. I think we sometimes go too far with the sportsman ship card, and the "not get hurt" card.

Nothing wrong with the coach pulling him. It was done often in their 73 win run last year. It's smart.

I think that Thompson's arrogant comment, "Too bad they couldn't keep it closer......maybe coach would have kept me in long enough to get 80.", was classless, though. I'd have something special for him next time we played if I was a Pacer. ;)

The amazing thing was that he only dribbled 11 times. The ball was in his hands less than 1 minute. It just illustrates what a great job the Cavs did in keeping him uncomfortable for most of their series.

So do they sleep on the team bus?? I mean how childish is this. It's the typical liberal response, pout and throw tantrums. I suppose we may see these players feeling "bullied" into staying a these luxury hotels??

I'm still trying to figure out what they have against Trump. It's just hate for it's own sake. For all those idiots know, the hotel could have a black ownership group. It's not Trump, and they aren't getting in his pocket. :laugh: The kids that don't want to go into a building named after a Confederate General that's been dead for 150 years have a better dumb argument.

Nothing wrong with the coach pulling him. It was done often in their 73 win run last year. It's smart.

I think that Thompson's arrogant comment, "Too bad they couldn't keep it closer......maybe coach would have kept me in long enough to get 80.", was classless, though. I'd have something special for him next time we played if I was a Pacer. ;)

The amazing thing was that he only dribbled 11 times. The ball was in his hands less than 1 minute. It just illustrates what a great job the Cavs did in keeping him uncomfortable for most of their series.

No you wouldn't, you'd be his little and you know it. :laugh:

Shooters go hot and cold, the Cavs were able to keep him, as you say, from getting comfortable. It is amazing he had the ball for such a short time.

I think Thompson was upset he didn't get to stay in. He didn't go public with that, but who wouldn't want to ride that wave? We get a little too worried about sportsmanship and worried about injuries, etc. It's one game, they had the next night off, he only played 29 minutes, let the kid play. I'm sure if Paul George was going off some night the coach isn't going to pull him.

Shooters go hot and cold, the Cavs were able to keep him, as you say, from getting comfortable. It is amazing he had the ball for such a short time.

I think Thompson was upset he didn't get to stay in. He didn't go public with that, but who wouldn't want to ride that wave? We get a little too worried about sportsmanship and worried about injuries, etc. It's one game, they had the next night off, he only played 29 minutes, let the kid play. I'm sure if Paul George was going off some night the coach isn't going to pull him.

Paul George:
- Doesn't play on a team with 4 other All Stars
- Will be fighting for a decent play off spot
- Did not get 73 wins last year and did not add a top 5 player this year
- Will not play 106 games last year
- Was not winning by 30+

Klay Thompson
- Plays on a team with 4 other All Stars
- Will likely have the top seed locked up a couple weeks before the end of the year
- Won 73 games last year and added a top 5 player
- Played in 106 games last year, will likely play close to that this year
- Was winning by 30+

The Warriors aren't nearly as short sighted as you. He knows it was a smart decision to come out.

Paul George:
- Doesn't play on a team with 4 other All Stars
- Will be fighting for a decent play off spot
- Did not get 73 wins last year and did not add a top 5 player this year
- Will not play 106 games last year
- Was not winning by 30+

Klay Thompson
- Plays on a team with 4 other All Stars
- Will likely have the top seed locked up a couple weeks before the end of the year
- Won 73 games last year and added a top 5 player
- Played in 106 games last year, will likely play close to that this year
- Was winning by 30+

The Warriors aren't nearly as short sighted as you. He knows it was a smart decision to come out.

Understand Jim, thanks for pointing out things (in a season) that I already know....BUT....

There are few moments in pro sports, especially during the regular season, that can be truly special. A QB throwing for 5 TD's or 500 yards in a game. A baseball no hitter or a batter going 5-5, or hitting 4 home runs in a game.

Why not, just for giggles, allow a guy in 1 of 82 regular season games, to go for it??? What's the crime in that??

Because it isn't just 1 of 82 games where Klay will be "going for it." They will have plenty of games where he won't have the opportunity. There's a reason Cavs and the Spurs continually rest their best players during the regular season, and why coaches in EVERY sport pull their starters during a blow out.

If you knew those things, you wouldn't have said what you said. Like I said, he and the rest of the Warriors aren't nearly as short sighted as you. They are there to win a championship, that is the end goal.

I would have let Klay see what he could get to. Especially since Kerr last year and this year already at times leaves his guys in for a head-scratching amount of time in blowouts. There were so many times last year when Curry, Klay, Draymond would all be out there with like 5 minutes left in a 20 point game and it made no sense. So when you do that kind of stuff as often as he does, getting a guy out of there really early when he has a chance to do something incredible kind of rings hollow

Understand Jim, thanks for pointing out things (in a season) that I already know....BUT....

There are few moments in pro sports, especially during the regular season, that can be truly special. A QB throwing for 5 TD's or 500 yards in a game. A baseball no hitter or a batter going 5-5, or hitting 4 home runs in a game.

Why not, just for giggles, allow a guy in 1 of 82 regular season games, to go for it??? What's the crime in that??

He had a reasonable chance to set the franchise's single game scoring record set by Chamberlain of 73. Why not let him go for it? Sometimes you have to throw your guys a bone.

In typical Tim Duncan fashion, the Spurs retired his #21 last week with little fanfare. I'd recommend you to go to YouTube and watch the ceremony if you have some time, it's about 45 minutes.

I'm not sure we have ever had a more classy superstar than Tim Duncan. We live in time now where pro athletes feel they have to "brand" them selves and be in the limelight. Duncan was the opposite. He was quite, he was competitive, he was everything you'd want in a "team" player, and he was rewarded with 5 titles. 5 Titles in today's NBA puts you in elite company.

Duncan was not flashy, he wasn't going to go iso on the wing and pull up and shoot a 3 like we like today. He posts up, he shares the ball, he sets the defense from the back line, things you don't get stats for. The joy and admiration that his teammates talk of has to be more rewarding than even the titles. It's too bad we don't cherish those qualities in players like we should.

Funny that I just posted about Tim Duncan yesterday, and last night, we have the anti-Tim Duncan, DeMarcus Cousins go off for 55 points and act like a total idiot most of the time.

I have to think there is something wrong with this cat. He just does not seem interested in winning. He acts out all the time, trying to confront opponents all the time. It's too bad because he really has some talent.

I've posted on here before how overrated the triple double is now. With certain players who have the ball in their hands all the time, it's really not a very difficult feat.
However, James Harden had a game that was really impressive New Years Eve, which is why I think it got very little attention.
On Saturday night, vs. the Knicks, Harden had 53 points, 17 assists and 16 rebounds!!! I think this may be one of the best single games the NBA has had in years. In 42 minutes, Harden only took 26 shots, made 16 of 18 free throws.

I've posted on here before how overrated the triple double is now. With certain players who have the ball in their hands all the time, it's really not a very difficult feat.
However, James Harden had a game that was really impressive New Years Eve, which is why I think it got very little attention.
On Saturday night, vs. the Knicks, Harden had 53 points, 17 assists and 16 rebounds!!! I think this may be one of the best single games the NBA has had in years. In 42 minutes, Harden only took 26 shots, made 16 of 18 free throws.

...and gave up 63 to the Knicks' shooting guards. LOL.

In typical Tim Duncan fashion, the Spurs retired his #21 last week with little fanfare. I'd recommend you to go to YouTube and watch the ceremony if you have some time, it's about 45 minutes.

I'm not sure we have ever had a more classy superstar than Tim Duncan. We live in time now where pro athletes feel they have to "brand" them selves and be in the limelight. Duncan was the opposite. He was quite, he was competitive, he was everything you'd want in a "team" player, and he was rewarded with 5 titles. 5 Titles in today's NBA puts you in elite company.

Duncan was not flashy, he wasn't going to go iso on the wing and pull up and shoot a 3 like we like today. He posts up, he shares the ball, he sets the defense from the back line, things you don't get stats for. The joy and admiration that his teammates talk of has to be more rewarding than even the titles. It's too bad we don't cherish those qualities in players like we should.

Yeah, it's not like 99% of the world doesn't feel Duncan is arguably the best power forward of all time or anything. Not sure why people don't respect Duncan more.

I like how 14red cries about me first guys who pad their stats and wonders why people don't recognize Duncan, but is mad because Kerr didn't leaveThimpdon in to pad his stats in a meaningless game that was already over. :laugh:

I like how 14red cries about me first guys who pad their stats and wonders why people don't recognize Duncan, but is mad because Kerr didn't leaveThimpdon in to pad his stats in a meaningless game that was already over. :laugh:

Thompson was having a night that very few players ever have, why not allow him to "go for it". Also, Thompson does not appear to be the type of player who "pads his stats" on a regular basis. You gotta pay attention a little closer EP.

Thompson was having a night that very few players ever have, why not allow him to "go for it". Also, Thompson does not appear to be the type of player who "pads his stats" on a regular basis. You gotta pay attention a little closer EP.

Playing in that 4th Q would have absolutely been padding his stats. Not surprised you can't appreciate the class exhibited by Kerr and the Warriors.

Based on what?? I would say 4 of the top 5 NBA teams are in the west, and I could even argue that 7 of the top 8 are in the west. The Cavs have a cake walk to the finals.

You could and would argue that, but you're also an idiot who has no idea what's he's talking about.

You've proven time and time again it is pointless to bring any reason into a discussion with you. You're an utter moron.