Misheard Song Lyrics

So here is a new one that I just found out last night. Not actually misheard lyrics, rather, it was wrongly interpreted lyrics.

Saw a video from my youth in the suggestions on Youtube last night. It was "Voices Carry". I thought that was strange, wasn't it "Voices Carrie"?

Always thought she was singing in the 3rd person in the same vein as "Says Carrie". I just thought it was an artsy way of singing in the 3rd person.

So here is a new one that I just found out last night. Not actually misheard lyrics, rather, it was wrongly interpreted lyrics.

Saw a video from my youth in the suggestions on Youtube last night. It was "Voices Carry". I thought that was strange, wasn't it "Voices Carrie"?

Always thought she was singing in the 3rd person in the same vein as "Says Carrie". I just thought it was an artsy way of singing in the 3rd person.
I did hear that part correctly, thank goodness!

What I couldn't decipher was the vocal over the final chorus. I think it goes "He said 'shut up', he said 'shut up, oh God can't you keep it down". I used to think it was "oh g-damn girl, keep it down".

Aimee Mann, the lead singer on Voices, might be the only person other than Geddy Lee whose singing voice was heard on its own in a Rush song ("Time Stand Still").

Funny stuff. Some from my family and friends:

- The Alanis Morrisette song "You Oughta Know" in the article, my son was maybe 8 years old and he would say from the back seat "play the cross-eyed bear song"

- From the band Live, song "All over You", the lyric "Our love is like water", after hearing it dozens of times my wife said "Who's Walter?"

- In high school, Eagles song "Life in the Fast Lane", I had a buddy who insisted it was "Wiping the vaseline".

Just today I learned on this thread that ELO was not saying "Bruce".

It may be in that link but the most 'famous' one is In-a-gadda-da-vida by Iron butterfly.
Originally was in the Garden of Eden Baby but he slurred his words so much they made it in A Gadda Da Vida.......

Back in the day the first things I did with a new tape or CD was see if they had the lyrics inside!
This makes me laugh every time. In the Garden of Eden by I. Ron Butterfly.

Hush, hush, oh, oh, voices carry
Hush, hush, he said shut up
He said shut up
Oh God, can't you keep it down?
Voices carry
Hush, hush, oh, oh voices carry
I wish he would let me talk.

hmmm

Hush, hush, oh, oh, voices carry
Hush, hush, he said shut up
He said shut up
Oh God, can't you keep it down?
Voices carry
Hush, hush, oh, oh voices carry
I wish he would let me talk.

hmmm
I rarely hear the words to songs other than those short phrases that really stand out.

The way that I heard that song:

----, ----, --, --, voices Carrie
----, ----, -- ---- shut up
He said shut up
Oh God, ---- --- ---- -- ----
Voices Carrie
----, ----, --, --, voices Carrie
- ---- -- ----- --- -- ----

For whatever reason, I've rarely heard lyrics and to this day barely know any except for Kenny Rogers' songs. Most words sound like Charlies Brown's teacher.