Misheard Song Lyrics

What's more fun is knowing the correct lyric but coming up with alternate words to spice things up. For Exile's '70's pop hit, "Kiss You All Over," I always wanted to say "kick" rather than "kiss."

A fun topic here, misunderstood song lyrics. . . .who hasn't misunderstood song lyrics over
the years ? Always amazed when I find out the real lyrics after singing along with what I thought
were the correct lyrics.

I used to have the book " "S'cuse Me While I Kiss This Guy" by author Gavin Edwards. It was
probably the definitive book on this subject. The catchy title with apologies to Jimi Hendrix clearly
suggests the contents. I think the book was one of many that I had loaned to friends and the book
was never returned just like countless records, cassettes, and CD's that have walked away in the past.
Truth be known, I likely have some "borrowed" items still in my possession that are awaiting the rightful
owner to show up at my door some year asking for the return along with a hefty late charge.

Gaven Edwards came out with a sequel soon after his first book on misunderstood song lyrics entitled
" He's Got The Whole World In His Pants". I never read this book, but it is probably pretty funny also.

My contribution to this thread actually comes from Mrs. JB and I still recall her singing along with
AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" and she sang it as " Dirty Deeds and A Thunder Chief " !
One of the tunes I can recall from the first book was a lyric from The Beatles "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"
the line about " a girl with kaleidoscope eyes" someone sang as " a girl with colitus goes by".
This was a long overdue thread. Thanks for posting it.

JB

Couple years back my son was always listening to something I had no idea of the lyrics.

One song in particular he listened to drive me nuts as the artist repeated "salami, salami, salami...." multiple times in the song and otherwise food was not mentioned. When I finally told him I thought the lyrical content was annoying he just shrugged. Few minutes later he asked what I was annoyed with? When I explained my objection to food oriented lyrics inserted into the song in a random fashion he laughed , and said " the real lyrics are, so lonely, so lonely, so lonely".

So Lonely by The Police

Just found out that Neil Diamond did not sing "Reverend Blue Jeans"

But if you search it on YouTube, the correct song does come up.

Voices Carry by Til Tuesday - always swore they said Hush Hush, we went downtown, for spaghetti instead of hush hush, keep it down now, voices carry.

Do you know that Eddie Money song that starts out “She loved to cruise. She had the passion for the drive”?

Yeah, so about two months ago, I youtubed Shakin’ looking for the isolated drums and it had the lyrics and I literally laughed out loud at myself when I read what he really sings. I guess I never really gave it much thought since first hearing it as a middle schooler lol.

Last edited:
Rolling Stones "Satisfaction". Instead of "I can't get no," my four-year-old little brother would sing "I said heck no."

Have to admit I have said 'I'm ascared' just playing around. Probably heard someone say it.

Easier to say Duck tape than duct tape - or, does duct tape just sound like Duck tape?
They sound so much alike that "Duck Tape" has taken over. There is even a name brand of duct tape called "Duck Tape."

Some other common ones...

Wrong vs Right

Nip it in the butt vs Nip it in the bud.
Rebel rouser vs Rabble rouser.
Coming down the pipe vs Coming down the pike.
Pass the mustard vs Pass the muster.
Doggy-dog-world vs Dog-eat-dog world.

I often hear people say "EXspresso" and "EXspecially" instead of "espresso" and "especially."

Supposebly, he was pretty pacific about it.
"Supposebly," another common one. I assume "pacific" is for "specific?"

Growing up in Toledo area North Enders and Eastsiders would many times replace "old" with "ode." For instance, "cold" becomes "code," and "old" becomes "ode."

Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight"

Always thought he was saying "Hold On" throughout the song. Just found out he was saying "Oh Lord".

Personally, I think "hold on" fits the song better.

Somehow my little brother and I, in our preadolescent state, got "Commie is taboo" out of "Call Me Mister Blue." I don't think that we were listening to the original by the Fleetwoods.

Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight"

Always thought he was saying "Hold On" throughout the song. Just found out he was saying "Oh Lord".

Personally, I think "hold on" fits the song better.
Well I just learned something as I thought the same thing.

With yesterday's passing of Gordon Lightfoot, I recalled my sister trying to sing Sundown when she was little - "creeping 'round my back stairs" would become "creeping 'round half past ten".

Come to think of it, I used to think If You Could Read My Mind involved a "three-way strip", instead of "three-way script".

About the same year, Riders On The Storm had just come out, and I thought the line said "Hector out alone". Always felt bad for Hector.

Last edited:
On Metallica's new album 72 Seasons the title cut has line that says "wrath of man"……my wife heard it as rack of lamb. She told me that and now I can't hear anything else.😂

Do you know that Eddie Money song that starts out “She loved to cruise. She had the passion for the drive”?

Yeah, so about two months ago, I youtubed Shakin’ looking for the isolated drums and it had the lyrics and I literally laughed out loud at myself when I read what he really sings. I guess I never really gave it much thought since first hearing it as a middle schooler lol.
Well, I just learned something. All this time thought it was "Rosanna's daddy had to caution her to drive" (or caution her NOT to drive?), And I thought the final line was "She's called Roseanne and it's a helluva show", but it's actually "Just call Rosanna, it's a helluva show".

A few of the senior members on this topic may recall the TV series of the 60's titled "Secret Agent"
starring Patrick McGoohan which cashed in on the "James Bond," "Mission Impossible" and "Man From U.N.C.L.E
craze of the time. The theme song from "Secret Agent" had a catchy tune which actually reached the position
of number 3 on the Billboard Top 40 Chart in March of 1966.

Johnny Rivers was the artist with the hit single " Secret Agent Man" and some people thought the lyric was
" Secret Asian Man ".

JB