Mike DeWine

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's part of the problem here...you had a local AD go on a large station saying the OHSAA backs playing football and makes it seem like everything's a go. That's not the truth at all. DeWine has never given indication that he would allow games to be played. Just used games as a way to say Wear Your Masks again

No communication between the OHSAA and government officials
i have heard Jon Husted , Dewiney right hand man... talk about that their is a great chance for fall sports.... and HOW IMPORTANT IT IS FOR KIDS TO HAVE SPORTS, ACTIVITIES.......

We will be postponed to Spring, just like the big boys. It’s the announcement DeWine was waiting for today, even said verbatim he would discuss “Pro, College, and HS” this week. From a health point of view, no possible way you can have teenagers and young adults not play for health purposes, but allow even younger teenagers to play in the exact same overblown danger holding the others out.
The big boys ain’t playing in the spring maybe the 2nd string boy that will be fun to watch

The only way spring football works is if winter sports are done by the end of January/first week of February. Football would need at least 3 weeks of practice before they could start playing games and if winter sports are still going on during that 3 week period you would have kids going right from their winter sport right into football without having the time to get ready for the season. May put the kids in a position to have to choose sports, which for the smaller schools could be very problematic.

d
Really, because us smart adults say there will be sports in 2021 and they will believe us. You must not have kids.
Youngest just graduated HS. Lost out on a lot. 4 other children. 3 generations of D1 college athletes. Things don't happen overnight. All my kids would be prepared the second sports were allowed again. They would switch sports and compete in other sports if their main sport was shut down.

In regards to earlier, I think Winter Sports with as much contact as they have are really in trouble for being screwed again.

Youngest just graduated HS. Lost out on a lot. 4 other children. 3 generations of D1 college athletes. Things don't happen overnight. All my kids would be prepared the second sports were allowed again. They would switch sports and compete in other sports if their main sport was shut down.
I like your demeanor in all this considering you have an itchy gun.

i have heard Jon Husted , Dewiney right hand man... talk about that their is a great chance for fall sports.... and HOW IMPORTANT IT IS FOR KIDS TO HAVE SPORTS, ACTIVITIES.......

And that's why I think sports are at least going to get a chance. For the last few weeks Husted has been beating around the structure and protocols of organized sports and extracurriculars being "safer" than whatever the heck kids would otherwise be doing left to their own.

And that's why I think sports are at least going to get a chance. For the last few weeks Husted has been beating around the structure and protocols of organized sports and extracurriculars being "safer" than whatever the heck kids would otherwise be doing left to their own.

Not with the heart information the Big Ten put out there. It's pretty bad, my friend.

Not with the heart information the Big Ten put out there. It's pretty bad, my friend.
You mean myocarditis. A heart condition that can be the result of any viral infection as well as many other bacterial and fungal infections and not just Covid-19. It’s not pretty bad. Most cases of myocarditis are mild and resolves themselves. Athletes are at risk to this this from any viral infection.

The evidence of COVID causing myocarditis at a higher rate than other viral infections is shaky at this point.

The Big Ten, PAC 12, and any other Power 5s that cancel will be doing so for fear of exposure risk to lawsuits in the event of worst case scenarios. In high-end athletics it's not that uncommon for athletes to be "flagged" for heart issues due to better accessible care and screenings, but if anyone can try to associate an issue that arises with COVID exposure it could result in an enormous lawsuit. If it was truly about safety there wouldn't be any talk of spring football as having a spring and fall season in 2021 would be a significant injury risk.

My biggest fear is that he lets football start, get a couple games in, then teams have kids test positive and they shut it down and cancel football all together for this year. My opinion is you either go all in start to finish or move it to spring with the same modified schedule. Someone needs to make a decision though and in a hurry!
Why would they test? No kid without symptoms should test

You mean myocarditis. A heart condition that can be the result of any viral infection as well as many other bacterial and fungal infections and not just Covid-19. It’s not pretty bad. Most cases of myocarditis are mild and resolves themselves. Athletes are at risk to this this from any viral infection.
Shhhh this isn’t a place for facts

I agree that Dewine wanted nothing to do with making his final announcement until the OSU circumstance was announced. I think salamanders have backbones though.

At this point i would not be surprised by anything. Dewine could say play on or he could tell everyone to hunker down for 6 more months. Who knows.

Never has DeWine shown he felt the same though. It's actually starting to make me wonder if Husted isn't setting himself up for something in the future knowing what the likely outcome is here. DeWine has already lost a big portion of his republican base, Husted can capture that with some optics here.. hope I'm wrong, but think it's some posturing. All of this has been political... unfortunately

The only way spring football works is if winter sports are done by the end of January/first week of February. Football would need at least 3 weeks of practice before they could start playing games and if winter sports are still going on during that 3 week period you would have kids going right from their winter sport right into football without having the time to get ready for the season. May put the kids in a position to have to choose sports, which for the smaller schools could be very problematic.

winter and spring sports deal with athletes coming to their sport late all the time... but it can’t be done in football?

Folks, the ADs and Presidents of these universities are not going to be part of liability suits. HS administers and ADs are also Not going to be part of these suits. Bottom line, law suits have ruined some of this country and the powers to be Aren’t sticking their necks out. It been over for a month. It’s now Official. Really sad, but true.

Folks, the ADs and Presidents of these universities are not going to be part of liability suits. HS administers and ADs are also Not going to be part of these suits. Bottom line, law suits have ruined some of this country and the powers to be Aren’t sticking their necks out. It been over for a month. It’s now Official. Really sad, but true.
Oh well, the virus is not going to go away for a long time, so it looks like no more football, for a lot more years, if they have that attitude.

All viruses can cause heart issues. Statistically speaking, it is insignificant and in the covid case quite frankly unproven. We have three or four well known studies proving that kids don't spread to elders but we don't pay attention. And again, you have to weigh all the risks of having sports or school and not having these activities. I feel like the long term effects of not having school and activities outweighs the minute statistical chance that getting Covid may cause a heart issue. By the way, proving Covid causes a statistically significant amount cardio issues will be very difficult.

Curve will get real flat after Biden is electwd, but unfortunately it likely won't be until after inauguration. They won't allow Trump to be the one who beat the Rona
Whose they ? Who is controlling this virus , and why do they want may be as much as 250000 people dying from it by next spring ?to get Trump out ? Trump best the Rona ?? That battle was lost long ago . It’s just degrees of losing for him and u fortunately the country . I am assuming you don’t actually believe what you posted .

High school football will be played the last week of August. The question now is will spectators be permitted and if so how many.

The spring is not going to work for a couple of reasons. Seniors with deals won’t play. And teams that do go to playoffs will be playing too many games in too few months. Playoff end in June and new year starts in July, how is that safe for players with injuries and concussions?

That is soft.

You won't find many doctors that think this is a good idea. Dr. James Andrews (the best) says 4 months break from a specific sport.

I'll take his advice on this over internet experts any and every day of the week.

Yep, just like Kawasaki disease was killing all the kids back in May, people are rolling out myocardial disease in an effort to instill more fear. (current fear is waning)

Whether or not this is linked to covid is going to be a discovery that's going to take years to substantiate.

In the meantime, lets hunker down and "climb a tree or go to a state park". (DeWine actually said that) Meanwhile the mental and psychological toll will continue to wreak havoc on or society.

Finally, it's no secret that viruses can cause heart damage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.