Midwest Athletic Conference 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I commend that kid (and any kid really) who cuts that kind of weight for wrestling. That provides a better frame for adding weight in terms of strength through a good weight room regiment in the spring and summer. If kids losing weight and becoming healthier as a result is a bad thing, then I think you need to re-evaluate your stance on HS athletics.

As an OLine coach and wrestling coach, there is no better combination of sport to prepare young men (and women) for life. Go wrestle, become leaner, come back to the weight room, get stronger. Rinse and repeat.

Well, let me clarify. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing. I guess that would be up to each individual coach to decide whether it is good or not. I imagine a lot of coaches would love to see their lineman cut weight and become leaner, more athletic. There are also coaches that want their kids to gain weight. I would imagine a lot of it has to do with the schemes they run and what they are asking kids to do. and the physical attributes each kid currently has.

Secondly, the athlete I gave the example of was in no way overweight when he was at 206 pounds. I'm not sure this particular kid losing 24 pounds (in a few months time) has made him any healthier. This has nothing to do with a stance on HS athletics at all,

So there can be some unintended consequences for football if you add wrestling.

I'll give you an example. My school is a DVI school that has wrestling. We usually have between 12-15 wrestlers each year.

This year we had a sophomore who was a starting guard for the football team. His wrestling season ended this past weekend and he was talking about how he now needs to gain weight back for football. He said he play football at 206 pounds, wrestled the first part of the season at 195 and by the end of the season has gotten down to the 182 class.

Now, if this same kid had not wrestled and ibstead had started lifting for football in early December he'd probably be around 215 right now.

So that means he's currently 30+ pounds behind because he chose to wrestle.

We had four other football players who wrestled and while I don't know there specific numbers I know each of them cut weight as well.
Was he losing fat or muscle?

Got it, he was losing some muscle in your opinion.
In Ohio, wrestlers get their % of body fat checked in November. Through this process there are rules set on how much a wrestler can lose to get down to 7% body fat and a schedule on how fast he can lose the fat.

Back to football.

Minster needs a week 2 game. Maybe Columbus South? Calpreps likes it.

neutral field
[2020] Minster (OH) 21, [2020] South (Columbus, OH) 20

Sorry to bring it back to wrestling, but whats goin on in Rockford? I know theirs only, like, 2 Parkway people here on Yappi (that I'm aware of) that could possibly shed some light. But seems like there's some drama afoot.

I have a question for New Bremen fans. I just came across some information on your school's website about the Speed & Strength program New Bremen instituted in grades 6-8 back in 2012. Just curious if anyone could provide any more in depth info about the program. Just curious how big of an impact it has had on New Bremen really turning around their athletic programs.

Thanks.

Sorry to bring it back to wrestling, but whats goin on in Rockford? I know theirs only, like, 2 Parkway people here on Yappi (that I'm aware of) that could possibly shed some light. But seems like there's some drama afoot.
"Hamrick, who had served on the board for about a year, said she felt as though she had not been heard by other board members and said the school board should fulfill its role and not be a "social club board."

Interesting take.

I'm not a Parkway insider but have and had family ties to the school. Here was my take:

Parkway seems to be hiding something in regards to what's going on with the wrestling program and coaches. Sounds like the school board and superintendent need removed. I read the article and can say not surprising. Rockford at it's finest if you ask my opinion. So glad my children do not attend there. I'm not that keen about having the step kids at Crestview compared to Adams Central, but it's better than Parkway. I have family that went to Parkway and some that currently attend. I only support them until the school changes its ways.

"Hamrick, who had served on the board for about a year, said she felt as though she had not been heard by other board members and said the school board should fulfill its role and not be a "social club board."

Interesting take.
I don’t understand the quitting part. The only way to fight for change is from the inside. If you quit and leave an open seat, the board picks the replacement. Does she think they're going to pick someone different from them?

I don’t understand the quitting part. The only way to fight for change is from the inside. If you quit and leave an open seat, the board picks the replacement. Does she think they're going to pick someone different from them?
I think that was part of her quitting. They are going to choose one of their own. She was getting out voted regardless. This just brings publicity and voters' attention to what's going on behind closed doors. My question is if her maiden name was Wenning as in Les Wenning's daughter. I believe she married into the well known and set Hamrick farming family (Clarence's group). If so, I think they'd have quite the influence.

Word on the street is a wrestler said practice was like a concentration camp, and the coach did a Nazi salute and marched up and down the mat with the high leg kick, etc...a parent was upset, brought it to the school's attention. School lawyer said get rid of them, so that's what the Superintendent suggested. Board member quit because "it's PC culture run amuck!". Dumb situation all around.

Word on the street is a wrestler said practice was like a concentration camp, and the coach did a Nazi salute and marched up and down the mat with the high leg kick, etc...a parent was upset, brought it to the school's attention. School lawyer said get rid of them, so that's what the Superintendent suggested. Board member quit because "it's PC culture run amuck!". Dumb situation all around.
giphy.gif

Parkway is just going to Parkway at this point. Why not be honest and say they were fired based on this instead of the hush hush culture that it seemed to be heading towards? They didn't claim to fire them, they "re-assigned" them, yet they have no "re-assignment". Handle things poorly like that as a Superintendent and a school board, you deserve to be called out and mocked like the pathetic situation they are in. Another reason for the MAC to boot them and send old high and mighty Rockford a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.